News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Have you ever attended TONYs? Looking for tips...

Have you ever attended TONYs? Looking for tips...

GreenGirl
#0Have you ever attended TONYs? Looking for tips...
Posted: 2/16/05 at 2:37pm

My cousin (all the way from Alaska!!) and I will be in NYC during the Tonys, and we would LOVE to go to the award presentation. All that I can find out right now is that it will be held on June 5th at Radio City Music Hall. I would really appreciate ANY info about how to get tix (since I don’t know anyone that important), about how much they might cost, when they’re available to purchase, etc. Also, what’s appropriate for “little people” (and I don’t mean Leprechauns) to wear, what seats are generally available, etc, etc. Thanks so much!

"Quien canta sus males espanta." -Miguel Cervantes (He who sings frightens away his ills)

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#1re: Have you ever attended TONYs? Looking for tips...
Posted: 2/16/05 at 2:39pm

once tickets go on sale you can buy tickets on ticketmaster. Usually people get rather dressed up for Tony's.

"Judy Garland, Jimmy Dean, You tragedy Queen" ~ Taboo

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

"when dangers near, exploit their fear" ~ Reefer Madness the Musical

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#2re: Have you ever attended TONYs? Looking for tips...
Posted: 2/16/05 at 2:41pm

They tickets go on sale on ticketmaster.com closer to the ceremony some time in the spring. There are generally around $150-$250. As far as dress code, something nice. Seats are generally the far far far far balcony in the back, and in the front for more expensive seats, I believe. I've heard the seats up there aren't bad.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

jim coleman
#3re: Have you ever attended TONYs? Looking for tips...
Posted: 2/16/05 at 2:43pm

I attended the Tony's back in 1975. It was held at the Shubert Theatre, and back then you had to be invited because there are only around 1500 seats in that theatre. I liked it much better when it was held in a theatre. They are awards for the theatre, after all. It was a very glamorous and exciting evening.

BatonMan

lna
#4re: Have you ever attended TONYs? Looking for tips...
Posted: 2/16/05 at 2:46pm

Last year, the tickets went on sale at a particular time and the cheaper tickets were sold out very quickly. I think the prices were $125 and $350.

I do believe that black tie was specified, so you are expected to dress.

TheGaIsSilent Profile Photo
TheGaIsSilent
#5re: Have you ever attended TONYs? Looking for tips...
Posted: 2/16/05 at 2:52pm

lna is correct. The $125 balcony seats were sold out the first day. Several $349 mezzanine seats were held for random release, but not many. It's black tie formal, though I've seen some girls there before in "party" dresses.

JOHN LITHGOW I just realized, your last name is Butz! Both "Norbert" AND "Butz" are in your name! You must have gotten picked on a lot as a child!

GreenGirl
#6re: Have you ever attended TONYs? Looking for tips...
Posted: 2/16/05 at 2:53pm

Goodness knows we WANT an excuse to dress up, but it's not like we're going to be on the red carpet, so how much is too much for those of us in nose-bleed seats?

I've been checking the Tony website for ticket info, and it has yet to be updated. Is some kind of announcement usually made regarding when tickets ARE available for sale?

"Quien canta sus males espanta." -Miguel Cervantes (He who sings frightens away his ills)

BSoBW2
#7re: Have you ever attended TONYs? Looking for tips...
Posted: 2/16/05 at 2:59pm

And Radio City Music Hall ISN'T a theatre...well, I'll be darned....

I went to the Tony's last year and gave up my tickets for this year (a block of 100)...price increase me tuchas!

You HAVE to wear blacktie, tux's for boys, etc...or they want let you in. No cameras allowed...if you bring one you will have to check it in and can pick it up after the show.

TheGaIsSilent Profile Photo
TheGaIsSilent
#8re: Have you ever attended TONYs? Looking for tips...
Posted: 2/16/05 at 3:12pm

Green Girl,

If I remember, tickets usually go on sale the week after nominations?

JOHN LITHGOW I just realized, your last name is Butz! Both "Norbert" AND "Butz" are in your name! You must have gotten picked on a lot as a child!

suzycat Profile Photo
suzycat
#9re: Have you ever attended TONYs? Looking for tips...
Posted: 2/16/05 at 5:36pm

Is it worth it to go, or is it better just to watch on TV??

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#10re: Have you ever attended TONYs? Looking for tips...
Posted: 2/16/05 at 5:40pm

You could always go as a seat-filler. Get to see a great awards show and you can make some extra $$$ while enjoying yourself.

LittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
#11re: Have you ever attended TONYs? Looking for tips...
Posted: 2/16/05 at 5:44pm

I went in 2002 and had an amazing time. My uncle got me the tix

FosseBoi
#12re: Have you ever attended TONYs? Looking for tips...
Posted: 2/16/05 at 5:47pm

How do you get to be a seat filler!?

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#13re: Have you ever attended TONYs? Looking for tips...
Posted: 2/16/05 at 6:00pm

You can apply online...there's some website that most awards shows use...just do a google search.

M_Jokay Profile Photo
M_Jokay
#14re: Have you ever attended TONYs? Looking for tips...
Posted: 2/16/05 at 6:34pm

How do they decide who's important enough to get good tickets? And can important people book good tickets for their friends? How do I get to sit next to Bernadette?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#15re: Have you ever attended TONYs? Looking for tips...
Posted: 2/16/05 at 6:41pm

I went in 1968. It was in the Shubert & balcony tickets were $ 5. I doubt I can help in any way.

Poster Emeritus

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#16re: Have you ever attended TONYs? Looking for tips...
Posted: 2/16/05 at 7:53pm

The show opened with "24 Hours A Day" From Golden Rainbow. I am waiting for this to be released on DVD

Poster Emeritus

Videos