San Francisco Theatre

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#0San Francisco Theatre
Posted: 3/2/05 at 2:15am

I'm hoping to be in the San Fran area around March 21-27. I've googled "San Francisco Theatre" but didn't get too many relevant hits. Broadwayacrossamerica.com doesn't list SF in their cities. Can anyone point me in the direction of the big theatre productions happening at the end of March?

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

teth Profile Photo
teth
#1re: San Francisco Theatre
Posted: 3/2/05 at 2:27am

http://www.sfgate.com/eguide/performance/

Just do a search. re: San Francisco Theatre

And the very obvious... http://www.bestofbroadway-sf.com

OH...and one more, http://www.theatrebayarea.org/tix/halfprice.jsp

Great place to check out the plays. In addition, the ticket office in Union Square sells half priced tickets for shows everyday. So it's worth checking out if you don't have a show planned for the day. Updated On: 3/2/05 at 02:27 AM

Musetta1957 Profile Photo
Musetta1957
#2re: San Francisco Theatre
Posted: 3/2/05 at 3:01am

Yay, we'll love to have you here!

SF is a great "walk around and look at random stuff" city. I love it. I love being less than an hour from it.

Type_A_Tiff
#3re: San Francisco Theatre
Posted: 3/2/05 at 3:06am

Thank you both! It's my first time to SF; What area would you recommend I stay in to be in close proximity of the theatres, tourist traps, shopping, restaurants, etc?

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

teth Profile Photo
teth
#4re: San Francisco Theatre
Posted: 3/2/05 at 3:11am

Well, SF is so small that you can get anywhere easily. However, it's probably better to you stay in the Downtown area (near Union Square) if you want to be near theaters and shopping and Chinatown and such.

However, I must warn against staying in areas like Mission. In addition, if you ever go to the Golden Gate or the Orpheum theater, just beware that it's not too safe around those areas. Orpheum is a bit better but Golden Gate is surrounded by crackheads and bums. (So, it's probably not a good idea to stay somewhere right around there.)

Musetta1957
#5re: San Francisco Theatre
Posted: 3/2/05 at 3:14am

The theatre area is not so great, and I'm not entirely familiar with the hotels in the area (seeing as I just go home at the end of the day :) ) but you might want to try anything near the Embarcadero area. It'll be a little pricier, but definitely safer.

There are also some good, well-lit, clean hotels in the veryvery downtown area, around Market and 4th, near Old Navy and the Metreon. For some reason I'm blanking on names, but they are definitely large, reputable chains.

teth Profile Photo
teth
#6re: San Francisco Theatre
Posted: 3/2/05 at 3:19am

Slightly off-topic, but thanks to these big name stores and such, Downtown area is a lot more exciting (and a bit more bum-free) than a decade ago.

Hotels in Downtown SF are expensive in general. Embacadero is also a good option, as Musetta said. It's only two subway stations away (and 10 minutes streetcar ride). However, since that area is the financial district, it's practically dead at night. For convenience, you may want to stay near Union Square.

camerangel Profile Photo
camerangel
#7re: San Francisco Theatre
Posted: 3/2/05 at 11:30am

Tiff, stay out of the area Surrounding the Golden Gate Theatre and the Orpheum.. Teth is right it's not safe.. I hate going there by myself..

You can also venture down into Mountain View and San Jose if you are so inclined..

http://www.amtsj.org/

http://www.theatreworks.org/ (this reminds me I have a pair of tickets I have to use for this season, and they do some really great productions)

let me know if you need more help.. I hope you can make it here.. re: San Francisco Theatre

"All work and no smut makes Cammy lose her edge." ~DG

"Someday I'm going to have a baby and I'm gonna name her L'il Mimi Marquez and I and will sing to her every day and when she's a toddler I will say "L'il Mimi Marquez, clad only in a bubble diaper, will perform her famous play pen handcuff dance to the sounds of breast milk being pumped!" ~Kringas

#8re: San Francisco Theatre
Posted: 3/2/05 at 12:01pm

ooo have fun in SF!! i mite be back up there around that time for my spring break. and yea just be careful of the not so good areas that they mentioned. otherwise the embarcadero and fisherman's warf are fun touristy places. my friends and i (back in highschool) loved going to fisherman's warf for the resturant Bubba Gumps, its right on the water and tons of fun (and hot waiters) so try to stop there if u can. hehe have fun!

camerangel Profile Photo
camerangel
#9re: San Francisco Theatre
Posted: 3/2/05 at 12:12pm

hey Beav.. Why don you and I play tour guide to Tiff.. We can show her around.. Use and abuse her then leave her for dead somewhere..

"Someday I'm going to have a baby and I'm gonna name her L'il Mimi Marquez and I and will sing to her every day and when she's a toddler I will say "L'il Mimi Marquez, clad only in a bubble diaper, will perform her famous play pen handcuff dance to the sounds of breast milk being pumped!" ~Kringas

camerangel Profile Photo
camerangel
#10re: San Francisco Theatre
Posted: 3/2/05 at 12:28pm

Ok well we wont leave her for dead, just threaten to??

**looks hopefull**

But yes it would be a blast.. and no Tiff is not a pansy, she's actually one mouthy broad.. that might get her into a little trouble is all..

Loge Profile Photo
Loge
#11re: San Francisco Theatre
Posted: 3/2/05 at 12:43pm

I'm moving there within the next two months. I can't wait. It's my favorite city in the U.S!

"What the hell happened to you? You look like a Make-A-Wish Kid. You know, I just knew you were gonna bring shame on this new family of ours, and it just figures you had to go make yourself over into some heroin-shootin skate board chic on the only day E! could interview you!" - Cherry Cherry, on her daughter Mary Cherry

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#12re: San Francisco Theatre
Posted: 3/2/05 at 12:54pm

To Beaver

I haven't been to SF in years. What now occupies the space on Market previously occupied by Woolworth's ?

It is a shame to hear about the problems outside the Golden Gate & Orpheum. Do you think the authorities will do something so that people do not start to stay away from the area ? Exactly how bad is it ?

No idea how old you are but do you remember the Fox theater ? If not, ask someone older if they remember it & if so what they remember about it.h

Poster Emeritus

camerangel Profile Photo
camerangel
#13re: San Francisco Theatre
Posted: 3/2/05 at 1:01pm

By the way Tiff, that is the perfect week to come to the bay area.. It's my one week off between shows.. Starting the 29th I'm in rehearsals again.. re: San Francisco Theatre

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#14re: San Francisco Theatre
Posted: 3/2/05 at 1:08pm

The Fox came down in a classic example of political idiocy

Fox offered the theater to the city for $ 1 . Like everything in Calif, the sale for $ 1 had to be put on the ballot. The way they worded the question made a yes vote into a no vote & vice versa. This is what I have been told by people who supposedly know. It would not surprise me. If I am wrong let me know. I do know for a fact the $ 1 offer was valid. San Francisco made a colossal mistake knocking it down but New York has made many more such mistakes with the demolition of Penn Station, The Roxy & Paramount Theaters, Ebetts Field etc etc

Poster Emeritus

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#15re: San Francisco Theatre
Posted: 3/2/05 at 1:19pm

I visited the Castro many years ago with a theater group I belonged to toured the area. Georgeous theater & I have had my fill of dim witted politicians selling out to developers for money & votes

In any fight for the Castro, use the Fox as an example of what a mistake it was tearing it down & not to repeat the mistake. If you have a Landmark Preservation commission try & get it landmarked. Bring media attention to it . Do an end around the politicians as they will only do what is expedient.

Good luck

Poster Emeritus

teth Profile Photo
teth
#16re: San Francisco Theatre
Posted: 3/2/05 at 3:05pm

Well, sure there may not be reported crimes in those areas (I have no idea what's the statistics). BUT, it's still better to be careful in those areas nonetheless. I still stand by the fact that it's safer near Orpheum than near Golden Gate.

We're losing the Castro theater!? NO! I really wish they would build more theaters, but instead, a lot of people prefer to build apartments.

Type_A_Tiff
#17re: San Francisco Theatre
Posted: 3/2/05 at 7:01pm

Thanks for your help. I'm finding hotels right now; We're debating between staying outside of the city (we'll be driving so we have a car at our disposal) or staying in the downtown area. I figure if it's cheap enough to stay downtown, we should do that instead. Is downtown parking astronomical?

Er, yeah, I'd, uh, love to meet up with you both, Beav and Cam. I know I'll be safe in both of your hands. *eyes darting madly back and forth*

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#18re: San Francisco Theatre
Posted: 3/2/05 at 7:34pm

To Beaver

I know the parking lot you refer to - Weird

There is an old theater in Detroit called the Michigan . it was in an office building. The inside was gutted but if you are on the top level you eerily see the top part of the prosenium still hanging there

Poster Emeritus

Type_A_Tiff
#19re: San Francisco Theatre
Posted: 3/2/05 at 9:15pm

Okay Beav. Just looked up the Ramada Plaza. Good rates! I'm also looking at The Argent. Sounds nice. What is Beach Blankey Babylon? You have me compelled.

Also, does anyone in the San Fran area happen to know if the Golden Gate Theatre offers rush tickets or other discounts? Evita's running there for a month and I doubt they'll sell only tickets at face value right?

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#20re: San Francisco Theatre
Posted: 3/2/05 at 11:05pm

I am not sure what the booth is actually called, but when I go into SF for a weekend afternoon, the first place I head is the half price ticket booth in Union Square. I've gotten some great seats to shows for $25.00-30.00.

"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."

Type_A_Tiff
#21re: San Francisco Theatre
Posted: 3/2/05 at 11:07pm

I think that's this link from the first page:

https://www.theatrebayarea.org/tix/halfprice.jsp

Do you know if they also sell tickets for touring productions? I'd really like to catch Kathy as Evita, but $35 will only get me corner balcony seats. re: San Francisco Theatre

teth Profile Photo
teth
#22re: San Francisco Theatre
Posted: 3/3/05 at 3:17am

Beach Blanket Babylon is a supposed very superb show. It's really popular in town. (I hear it's short though.)

As for the half-priced thing, performances available vary from day to day. In addition, they sometimes have good seats at good prices...and sometimes not. So it really depends on your luck. If you DO go to the box office, be sure to get there at least half an hour before they open. There's usually a line.

Musetta1957
#23re: San Francisco Theatre
Posted: 3/3/05 at 3:21am

"Do you know if they also sell tickets for touring productions?"

Sometimes. Like teth said, it varies.

At least in that area you'll have a lot of fun walking around. :)

Broadway Style Profile Photo
Broadway Style
#24re: San Francisco Theatre
Posted: 3/3/05 at 10:50am

Please let me add myself to the list of peope who are eager to tell you all about SF :)
RE: "Beach Blanket Babylon" it's sort of a local tradition type thing it was started by Steve Si;ver and it is basically a musical satire of political events, stuff in the news going on right now. Oh yeah and they always wear really crazy hats!
RE: Rush tickets for "Evita" I'm pretty sure they don't sell rush tickets only full price-although when I asked them about this for the first time a couple weeks ago they just gave me a free ticket instead-so don't give up hope!
Have fun around here-also I might suggest Berkeley Rep for theatre, they, along with ACT are pretty much the biggest game in town.
www.berkeleyrep.org
www.act-sf.org
I would also suggest coming to see my show:) but we can talk about that later....

"Fidelity is more than mere display, it's what a man expects from life. Fidelity, like mine to Desiree and Charlotte my devoted wife..."

Videos