pixeltracker

I know its wrong.But do you wish any Bway show to close?- Page 2

I know its wrong.But do you wish any Bway show to close?

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#25re: I know its wrong.But do you wish any Bway show to close?
Posted: 3/2/05 at 3:01pm

Mr. Matt: Did you see beehive? How was it?

Katecab99 Profile Photo
Katecab99
#26re: I know its wrong.But do you wish any Bway show to close?
Posted: 3/2/05 at 3:04pm

to the "rent" closing comment - no way!!! re: I know its wrong.But do you wish any Bway show to close? it will be a SAD SAD day on broadway when that show finally leaves. i really hope that it sticks around for a good long time.

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#27re: I know its wrong.But do you wish any Bway show to close?
Posted: 3/2/05 at 3:07pm

Why? Most of Rent's cast is fabulous now, and ticket sales are going up.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#28re: I know its wrong.But do you wish any Bway show to close?
Posted: 3/2/05 at 3:09pm

I'm sorry but to whoever said being a Rent fanatic is a "right of passage" is dead wrong. How can you say that? Not every middle school/high school student likes Rent. I saw it and I thought it was OK but have never been a Renthead. You can't just generalize like that...or else you look dumb.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

iluvtheatertrash
#29re: I know its wrong.But do you wish any Bway show to close?
Posted: 3/2/05 at 3:12pm

I wouldn't mind if the Gershwin were available for a new show.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#30re: I know its wrong.But do you wish any Bway show to close?
Posted: 3/2/05 at 3:13pm

the gershwin???? that isn't going to happen for another 10 years!

Gothampc
#31re: I know its wrong.But do you wish any Bway show to close?
Posted: 3/2/05 at 3:16pm

The thing about Rent is that it is a period piece. The more time moves on, the less relevant the show becomes. It has lost its edge. It is like "Hair" today. You have to comprehend it in a different way.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#32re: I know its wrong.But do you wish any Bway show to close?
Posted: 3/2/05 at 3:18pm

WithoutATrace - I have never seen Beehive. My brother saw it and loved it, but then again, his all-time favorite show is Starlight Express, so go figure.

Why not wish a bad show to close? Because who gets to decide whether the show is good or bad? The critics? Broadway musical fans? Contemporary theatre fans? Golden Age fans? As I said, EVERY show eventually has a closing date. Good shows close and bad shows close. It is the paying audiences that decide what should or should not stay open.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Rose_MacShane Profile Photo
Rose_MacShane
#33re: I know its wrong.But do you wish any Bway show to close?
Posted: 3/2/05 at 3:18pm

Let's just say I won't be sorry to see a new marquee over the Winter Garden.

http://community.livejournal.com/ltd_brands_suck/

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#34re: I know its wrong.But do you wish any Bway show to close?
Posted: 3/2/05 at 3:21pm

Exactly Gothampc...it is losing it's edge. But in no way is being a Rent fanatic a "right of passage." That's just foolish...you don' t have to LOVE the show in order to be a genuine theatre fan. That's just stupid.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde
Updated On: 3/2/05 at 03:21 PM

RentBoy86
#35re: I know its wrong.But do you wish any Bway show to close?
Posted: 3/2/05 at 3:29pm

Rent is the first broadway style show i saw and really captivated me. I had seen A Chorus Line and other broadway touring company shows, but Rent is the one that got my attention and made me realize that musical theater is what i wanted to do. I don't think it should close, unless it's just loosing too much money. I just think it's a landmark of a musical. I don't mind phantom, just wish they'd make the music sound more modern. It just sounds so dated in the 80s. I think with newer sounding music it will reach out to a whole new generation. Esp. since the movie, look what the movie did for Chicago? And hell, the Gershwin is not going to be available for a LONG time.

bially082 Profile Photo
bially082
#36re: I know its wrong.But do you wish any Bway show to close?
Posted: 3/2/05 at 3:39pm

OK. I too, do not actually want anything to close. But if something were going to close I wouldn't mind getting rid of:

Fiddler
Good Vibrations
Mamma Mia!
Movin' Out
Rent
and Brooklyn
and of course the frickin teen time travel thing shouldn't even bother.

You are young, life has been kind to you. You will learn.

#37re: I know its wrong.But do you wish any Bway show to close?
Posted: 3/2/05 at 3:44pm

Beehive was one of the starting shows for Jasmine Guy. She is so talented.

Anywho~
I think that shows should be allowed to thrive as long as they can fill seats and do a good job of presenting their show.

RENT is one of those shows that regardless of what one says is still relevant today. AIDS will not go away kiddos.

HAIR is also VERY VERY relevant today with the war we are fighting today. HOW can we say it is not. There are thousands upon thousands of people who REFUSE to be a part of this disgusting war.

GirlfriendFromCanada
#38re: I know its wrong.But do you wish any Bway show to close?
Posted: 3/2/05 at 4:02pm

Everyone saying Movin' Out should close clearly have no idea of how amazingly it sells. It's not going ANYWHERE. Nor should it, if it's doing so well!

Gothampc
#39re: I know its wrong.But do you wish any Bway show to close?
Posted: 3/2/05 at 4:03pm

"RENT is one of those shows that regardless of what one says is still relevant today. AIDS will not go away kiddos."

There is a certain despair in Rent concerning AIDS that they are just hanging on and there is no hope for the characters. There is a wish expressed that "people living with not dying". New drug combinations have now made it possible for people with HIV to live better lives.

Additionally, New York is a different place now. The whole East Village scene has completely changed since Rent. Maureen's performance art seems out of place.

The show misses out on the gay marriage debate, the post 9/11 world, cellphones, etc.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

bryan
#40re: I know its wrong.But do you wish any Bway show to close?
Posted: 3/2/05 at 4:03pm

i think that all shows should not close unitl it is down to 100 dollers and then it should get a cast cd made to save the show so it does not fade into the sunset willout a cast cd for the people who can not go to see a show on broadway.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#41re: I know its wrong.But do you wish any Bway show to close?
Posted: 3/2/05 at 4:05pm

Again...I'm not saying that Rent should close. I'm just saying that it is NOT a show one MUST like as a "right of theatre passage." Everyone has different tastes...it's not a requirement to be obsessed with it in order for one to be a fan of theatre.

I, also, would not wish any certain show to close at this moment. None of them do I hate with a passion I cannot stand it's existence on Broadway. I would hate to put such talented people out of work...especially in such a hard field as theatre. Let the shows run their courses.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#42re: I know its wrong.But do you wish any Bway show to close?
Posted: 3/2/05 at 4:10pm

If I was held at gunpoint and forced to pick three shows I wished to close (ARTISTICALLY, NOT CONCERNING THE THEATER ECONOMY), I would proudly proclaim, The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, and Phantom of the Opera.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

Loge Profile Photo
Loge
#43re: I know its wrong.But do you wish any Bway show to close?
Posted: 3/2/05 at 4:27pm

Good Vibrations and Brooklyn.

"What the hell happened to you? You look like a Make-A-Wish Kid. You know, I just knew you were gonna bring shame on this new family of ours, and it just figures you had to go make yourself over into some heroin-shootin skate board chic on the only day E! could interview you!" - Cherry Cherry, on her daughter Mary Cherry

#44re: I know its wrong.But do you wish any Bway show to close?
Posted: 3/2/05 at 5:07pm

I'd bet that if "The Lion King" had been produced by anyone other than Disney, there would be much love for it across the board. It's a terrifically realized piece that uses innovative storytelling & staging to put across the most popular score on Broadway. Add to that the very talented performers it has employed over the years....

And folks, had there been no "Lion King" the New Amsterdam theatre would be a Taco Bell right now. Well, maybe not a Taco Bell, but it would NOT be a functioning Broadway theatre.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#45re: I know its wrong.But do you wish any Bway show to close?
Posted: 3/2/05 at 5:08pm

movin out sells a lot....just the name of billy joel sells...and he is a great singer....and he should just stick to making money off of his records. and on the other hand...the fact that something sells..doesnt make it good.Ashlee Simpson sold more cds than her sister and she SUX.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#46re: I know its wrong.But do you wish any Bway show to close?
Posted: 3/2/05 at 5:09pm

GOOD VIBRATIONS and BROOKLYN, no doubt. There's no need for them.

Re. the RENT comments, I understand where you're all coming from. As a giant RENT fan, I have seen the show so many time's I have lost count and I try to see every cast, and usually see them more than once. Unless you have seen RENT with this cast, you can't say it's gone downhill. People who have been doing the show for YEARS have pretty much left - which is a really good thing. I have seen god-awful performances, and BRILLIANT performances. It's always fresh and every new cast brings something new to it. The cast right now is the best it's been since last summer - thanks to Carey Shields. Those who say that it's time is done and it's tired really should re-visit the show. Now, if we're going to talk about shows that have lost all energy and steam, look into THE PRODUCERS, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, and MAMMA MIA.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#47re: I know its wrong.But do you wish any Bway show to close?
Posted: 3/2/05 at 5:15pm

"Rent" should stay opened forever. haha....i agree
If "Bklyn"closes ...there will be only 5 actors on the streets,,,,,i mean...arent they on the streets already? they suck!!! i wouldnt tip them on the subway!!! well....maybe if they tell a good story...then i might. LOL
everyone wants GV and Bklyn to close i guess.
I did like "GV" tho..i thought it was fun...not a great show..but it was fun and it had hot people in bathing suits....besides at the end...it was hilarious...when they played with the ball....they hit an old lady about 82 yo with it...it was too funny...but of course i felt terrible....the poor old lady was laughing...tho..it probably was the most fun she had in a long time. aww...it makes me tender.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

matthius202
#48re: I know its wrong.But do you wish any Bway show to close?
Posted: 3/2/05 at 5:17pm

haha..hot people in bathing suits. i could go for that.

"Be not like dumb, driven cattle. Be a hero in the strife." A Psalm of Life...Walt Whitman

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#49re: I know its wrong.But do you wish any Bway show to close?
Posted: 3/2/05 at 5:19pm

The only thing funny about GOOD VIBRATIONS is how absolutely terrible and untalented John Caraffa is.

And I love MOVIN' OUT, and it's selling out on a regular basis - it's the only thing of it's kind on Broadway and in my opinion, it's welcome.

Matthius darling: They're not hot people in bathing suits. There little twinky boys with the frame of an AIDS patient running around. It's terrible.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson