spiderdj82
#0Jesus vs. Jesus
Posted: 3/8/05 at 5:59pm

Which Jesus musical do you think is better:

JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR

OR

GODSPELL?

Annnnnnnnd off you go......

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

renthead2005z Profile Photo
renthead2005z
#1re: Jesus vs. Jesus
Posted: 3/8/05 at 6:01pm

JCS, however i don't like the obcr

"Why do we play with fire?-Why do we run our fingers through the flame?"

#2re: Jesus vs. Jesus
Posted: 3/8/05 at 6:01pm

ive only seen one of em, but i love JCS.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#3re: Jesus vs. Jesus
Posted: 3/8/05 at 6:04pm

I love both very very much but I also have to go with Jesus Christ Superstar. The music is better and pulls emotion after emotion out of you. Godspell is a fun musical with great songs but the winner is def. JCS!!

EDIT: Renthead....try to find the 1996 London Revival Cast or the Australian version. Those two are the best in my humble opinion.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
Updated On: 3/8/05 at 06:04 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#4re: Jesus vs. Jesus
Posted: 3/8/05 at 6:04pm

They are very different approaches to the same story, but Godspell is actually much more informative and more diverse in book and score. JCS is more emotional and serious. I like them both, but for very different reasons.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

matthius202
#5re: Jesus vs. Jesus
Posted: 3/8/05 at 6:21pm

i agree with Mister Matt's post. They're both great..for different reasons. And both evoke different things from their audiences.

"Be not like dumb, driven cattle. Be a hero in the strife." A Psalm of Life...Walt Whitman

GirlforTartaglia Profile Photo
GirlforTartaglia
#6re: Jesus vs. Jesus
Posted: 3/8/05 at 6:23pm

I haven't heard much from JCS, but I LOVE the 2000 Off-Broadway Recording of Godspell w/ Barrett Foa.

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.

matthius202
#7re: Jesus vs. Jesus
Posted: 3/8/05 at 6:26pm

i've played both roles..and i can just tell you right now...it's two completely different shows. like TOTAL OPPOSITE of the spectrum. but i felt so fulfilled with both of them. woohoo! i get excited thinking about them! good shows.

"Be not like dumb, driven cattle. Be a hero in the strife." A Psalm of Life...Walt Whitman

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#8re: Jesus vs. Jesus
Posted: 3/8/05 at 6:28pm

I know they are two different shows but work with me people. re: Jesus vs. Jesus

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#9re: Jesus vs. Jesus
Posted: 3/8/05 at 6:30pm

The original JCSS was quite good. The movie was the pits. The DVD of the revival is worse

Have not seen or heard Godspell since I saw it when it first opened

Poster Emeritus

matthius202
#10re: Jesus vs. Jesus
Posted: 3/8/05 at 6:31pm

lol...well what do you want! :)

umm..jcs is more realistic...and dark. i think it's focuses more on a cathardic reaction from the audience. (plus the beating scene...pretty intense)
godspell brings the story to the table in a completely different approach. the music is bright and random. but in the end, it's so heartfelt and personal. (the crucifixion scene...intense as well..but in a more...shock value way)

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#11re: Jesus vs. Jesus
Posted: 3/8/05 at 6:34pm

There you go. Not completely what I originally asked for but I will take that answer. **Claps** re: Jesus vs. Jesus

matthius202
#12re: Jesus vs. Jesus
Posted: 3/8/05 at 6:35pm

hahah..okay okay!! i like JCS better! There. Done!! :)

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#13re: Jesus vs. Jesus
Posted: 3/8/05 at 6:39pm

WOOT!!! WOOT!!!

mizzie Profile Photo
mizzie
#14re: Jesus vs. Jesus
Posted: 3/8/05 at 7:44pm

Oh, must I really choose? Alright then! I would have to say that I prefer Jesus Christ Superstar, because I enjoy the rock style that show has. Still, Godspell is great, and I can't wait to audition for it in March!

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#15re: Jesus vs. Jesus
Posted: 3/8/05 at 7:44pm

Hmmm....I'll give a resounding "Godspell." While I adore much of the music in JSC, I find Godspell to be more quietly moving and majestic. I swear I'll be in this show before I'm too old.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#16re: Jesus vs. Jesus
Posted: 3/8/05 at 7:46pm

tough question.....Godspell was earlier, and is done much more in the 1960's flower child type......I really like it, and originally saw it in London.
JCS is much more emotional.......I'd have to go with Godspell

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

john_travoltas_willy
#17re: Jesus vs. Jesus
Posted: 3/8/05 at 7:49pm

You're wrong Elphaba. Plain wrong. I'm Muslim and found Godspell highly offensive. I hope everyone else on this board isn't so culturally intolerant as you. It's people like you who are perpetuating fear and attacking freedom of expression in the world today.

#18re: Jesus vs. Jesus
Posted: 3/8/05 at 7:51pm

John I find your username highly offensive, why do you feel you must pollute our beloved board?

#19re: Jesus vs. Jesus
Posted: 3/8/05 at 7:51pm

John I find your username highly offensive, why do you feel you must pollute our beloved board?

BroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
#20re: Jesus vs. Jesus
Posted: 3/8/05 at 7:55pm

JCS. My first Broadway love. Though Godspell is absolutely one of my favorite musicals, JCS will always remain my favorite Jesus musical.

I have my books and my poetry to protect me...

AlienOnBroadway
#21re: Jesus vs. Jesus
Posted: 3/8/05 at 8:00pm

Godspell is very good but JCS is just one of my favorite shows, so JCS!

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#22re: Jesus vs. Jesus
Posted: 3/8/05 at 8:09pm

Elphaba...did you see the original London production of "Godspell?"

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#23re: Jesus vs. Jesus
Posted: 3/8/05 at 8:11pm

Definitely JCS. GOdspell is way too preachy for me. It's like I'm going to a Sunday school class or something. The Australian recording of JCS is pretty ridiculous. In a good way. Kinda cheesey orchestrations, but Jesus and Judas freaking rock.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

pab Profile Photo
pab
#24re: Jesus vs. Jesus
Posted: 3/8/05 at 8:12pm

JCS by FAR!

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"