BIG: The Musical

RentBoy86
#0BIG: The Musical
Posted: 4/24/05 at 8:33pm

Did anyone see this musical? I really like the song that just played on BWW Radio. Anyone know if it has any really good show stoppers in it for guys? Anyone have any pictures of the productions? Any video of it? Any famous people in it?

QueenS
#1re: BIG: The Musical
Posted: 4/24/05 at 8:43pm

Yes, saw it. Cast included Daniel Jenkins, Christa Moore and Barbara Walsh. Biggest problem was that it couldn't live up to the movie performances. It was revised a lot out of town and during previews. A subsequent tour incorporated more changes. Don't know if they ever got it right.

My biggest qualm was having a tenor as the adult Josh (often singing in head voice). He seemed less of a boy in an adult's body is as he did an adult trying to be a boy...

alli2
#2re: BIG: The Musical
Posted: 4/24/05 at 8:44pm

i saw it in '97... i LOVED it. I was obsessed with Brett Tabisel for quite some time after that show. I think the music is really fun, I still love it to this day.

charliebrownkid Profile Photo
charliebrownkid
#3re: BIG: The Musical
Posted: 4/24/05 at 9:31pm

IF URE INTERESTED THERES A REALLY GOOD BOOK ON IT CALLED "MAKING IT BIG, THE STORY OF A BROADWAY MUSICAL"

Joshua488
#4re: BIG: The Musical
Posted: 4/24/05 at 9:34pm

I love Barbara Walsh! I just saw her in HAIRSPRAY... That woman needs to have a bigger part! Her voice is phenomenal!

shaun3000
#5re: BIG: The Musical
Posted: 4/24/05 at 10:07pm

Saw it in Dallas some years ago. Forgive me for being blunt but it sucked.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#6re: BIG: The Musical
Posted: 4/24/05 at 10:35pm

Saw it on Bway. I hated it. It was everything Broadway shows shouldnt be. Cheesy, boring, and awfully put together among other things. The movie is a classic and this stage production gave it a bad name. It was awful.

inishmore Profile Photo
inishmore
#7re: BIG: The Musical
Posted: 4/24/05 at 10:35pm

I've never seen it but always thought the music was a lot of fun. My little director mind always wanted to direct it (but probably with some book revisions - from what I can tell from the cd and such, as well as a few song changes).

Time rushes by, memories fade, dreams never do

marincrazy11 Profile Photo
marincrazy11
#8re: BIG: The Musical
Posted: 4/24/05 at 10:39pm

I was in it when I was a junior in high school. I hated it. Not fun.

"Did you know that if you take the first two vowels in Olive and rearrange them it spells I-Love?"-Spelling Bee "It's night like this that hotel bars were specifically made." Light In The Piazza

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#9re: BIG: The Musical
Posted: 4/24/05 at 11:03pm

I've always enjoyed this show. Saw it on Broadway and really liked it.

RentBoy86
#10re: BIG: The Musical
Posted: 4/24/05 at 11:07pm

Queen,
Would making the lead a Bartione or Bari-tenor make it better? Just trying to better understand what your saying.

Where can you get the book at? Can you give me a link? Updated On: 4/24/05 at 11:07 PM

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#11re: BIG: The Musical
Posted: 4/24/05 at 11:07pm

Saw it on Boradway too. From what I remember the book was bad and many bad performances. Crista Moore was very good, as was Barbra Walsh and the sets were wonderful. I love the music in this show. It's biggest asset by far. But overall: a weak book, and a majority of bad performances kept me from loving it.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

RentBoy86
#12re: BIG: The Musical
Posted: 4/24/05 at 11:10pm

This brings up another topic. Since alot of musicals nowadays are based on movies, does that make it harder to have a successfull revieval? Since the movies are so long gone and new generations probably haven't seen the movies? Like if they were to make Big a revival in ten years...

Bwaybaby109
#13re: BIG: The Musical
Posted: 4/24/05 at 11:19pm

i have never seen it but I absolutely LOVE the soundtrack! I swear if Tom Hanks could sing, he would sound like Daniel Jenkins.

"Have a child for warmth and a baker for bread and a prince for... whatever!"

RentBoy86
#14re: BIG: The Musical
Posted: 4/25/05 at 1:17pm

anyone know how to get the book?

iluvtheatertrash
#15re: BIG: The Musical
Posted: 4/25/05 at 1:19pm

Was my first Broadway experience.

And now Broadway musicals are my life. Do I need to go into detail?

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#17re: BIG: The Musical
Posted: 4/25/05 at 3:21pm

Actually, I preferred the Broadway production to the film. It made much more sense. The musical focused more on the kids and seeing through a child's eye. The movie focused mainly on Tom Hanks as an adult acting like a kid. It also pretty much abandonded the concern of Josh's parents, which the musical addresses not only in the solo for the mother, but also in the final scene. The Broadway production had some incredible sets and strong choreography and features what I think is Maltby and Shire's best overall score (though some of their best songs are in Baby, the score is pretty uneven). The tour was entirely rewritten and restaged into a rather ugly neon orange unfocused mess with some pointless songs and scenes.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Videos