Question about Stage Managers

BwayLeadman
#0Question about Stage Managers
Posted: 4/26/05 at 1:23am

I know this may seem as a weird question, but I just had to ask.
Today reading a guide for stage managers, i've noticed that writer only used "she" "her" when refering to a Stage Manager's job. I also noticed that as long as I can remember, all the stage managers I've had were all woman.
So my question is, is there more or all woman as stage managers?

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
IMsooHyprToday Profile Photo
IMsooHyprToday
#2re: Question about Stage Managers
Posted: 4/26/05 at 1:31am

i am a stage manager, and i am a male. I think there are more women stage managers just because there are more women involved in theatre in general.

TheatreSM
#3re: Question about Stage Managers
Posted: 4/26/05 at 1:31am

Speaking as a male Equity stage manager, i just thought back through my entire 20 year resume and i have worked with a lot of stage management staffs, and in total i think they have been an equal number of male and female SMs. I once thought that more of the male stage managers were gay males, but i think that may have been wishful thinking on my part because that appears to be equally split, as well.

IMsooHyprToday
#4re: Question about Stage Managers
Posted: 4/26/05 at 1:38am

^ nice to hear from a professional.

manders Profile Photo
manders
#5re: Question about Stage Managers
Posted: 4/26/05 at 1:40am

How does one become a SM?

But the secret ingredient is love. Dammit.

TheatreSM
#6re: Question about Stage Managers
Posted: 4/26/05 at 1:40am

I'm just glad to hear discussion about something i think is forgotten, misunderstood, not ranked in importance in some theatre education programs, and many amateur productions don't even know what this postion is supposed to be. Stage managers are members of the same union as actors, we arrive early, leave late and keep a good supply of pencils in our stage manager's kit that includes everything from food coloring to gaff tape. re: Question about Stage Managers

Now, if someone doesn't mind, i need help getting down from my soap box.
Updated On: 4/26/05 at 01:40 AM

manders Profile Photo
manders
#7re: Question about Stage Managers
Posted: 4/26/05 at 2:00am

I've always wanted to be something like a stage manager because I adore theatre, but I can't sing, act, or dance. I can offer only my love. Is there any suggestions you have for getting a start? Any education, etc.?

IMsooHyprToday
#8re: Question about Stage Managers
Posted: 4/26/05 at 2:02am

TheatreSM, i PMed you! :)

BwayLeadman
#9re: Question about Stage Managers
Posted: 4/26/05 at 2:05am

The reason i posted this message is because I am going to be the stage manager for a production of "The Importance of being Earnest"

manders- to be a stage manager you have to be very alert and must know whats going on, when it goes on, on and off stage.
Its a major responsibility, but somebody's got to do it.
Try it sometime when you get the chance.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#10re: Question about Stage Managers
Posted: 4/26/05 at 2:35am

In a nutshell, the road to becoming a professional stage manager is by becoming a production assistant at an Equity theatre. Over time, you will learn first hand what it takes. Eventually, a theatre will decide to hire you as an Equity Assistant Stage Manager. From there, it's all about building up your resume and credits, etc. should you want to work as a Production Stage Manager or in New York or on tour.

TheatreRatinBlue Profile Photo
TheatreRatinBlue
#11re: Question about Stage Managers
Posted: 4/26/05 at 3:03am

I've stage managed several times at my Community Theatre and i'm getting ready to stage manage again for Enchanted April. From my understanding and expierence, the stage manager (after the show is in run) is basically in charge of the entire damn thing. They call the show (lights, sound, props, ect.) they also can become winner of the "who me" award should anyone fall ill. I've always enjoyed being a stage manager, i don't think it's anything that can be taught, it's something you kinda have to do. Now Producing in a community theatre (atleast mine) is a pretty crappy job and it's totally thankless. I've produced twice and never again.

manders Profile Photo
manders
#12re: Question about Stage Managers
Posted: 4/26/05 at 3:10am

I was asked to be the stage manager for my school play (MmmBeth, anyone heard of it?), but without my knowledge the director asked like two other people and I ended up being the props "mistress." Instead a freshman (or sophomore, I can't remember) was stage manager while me (the senior who had all but once been involved in the school's spring play) organized props. Lots of fun.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#13re: Question about Stage Managers
Posted: 4/26/05 at 3:17am

No, it is something you need to be taught--by apprenticing as a production assistant. There are rules defining everything in professional theatre, and a stage manager has to learn what they are. Not to offend anyone, but stage managing school or community theatre is extremely different than stage managing professional theatre, especially Equity theatre.

#14re: Question about Stage Managers
Posted: 4/26/05 at 3:45am

Stage managing definetly is something that can and has to be taught! i'm a stage manager, yes only in college but i was trained under an Equity Stage Manager. I just closed my first show (Carousel) stage managing in college (as a freshman as well mind you)but i knew what i was doing because ive been stage managing highschool, community, and regional theatre for a while now. Also with every production ive done i've mainly come across female stage managers like me. But there definetly are some good male sms as well. With stage management you mainly just need a good eye for everything, know the show inside and out, be able to multi task, stay organized, and be able to deligate. But yea stage managing is a huge responsibilty and you can be taught it but you do also have to really understand it and have those extra special qualitites.

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#15re: Question about Stage Managers
Posted: 4/26/05 at 11:54am

Heh, I actually went through a smaller "transition" in High School-I was production assistant for 2 of our productions, and then the next year I was made stage manager. We had a new techical director that year who was very good at teaching me all my obligations and responsibilites. Even in high school, there was a lot I had to do...keep the cast in order, not talking, record the blocking of every scene, attend every rehearsal, and then of course the biggest job came during tech week...I had to give all the light cues, sound cues, curtain cues, while the show was going on, deal with an issue backstage that a chair broke, give the actors all their 10 min, 5 min stuff, it was actually a great experience(in my opinion, much better than being production assistant) but like orchestra, is certainly undercredited as they are extremely important to each and every show.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#16re: Question about Stage Managers
Posted: 4/26/05 at 12:07pm

I have never been a SM, but it is definitely an under-appreciated task. Thanks to all the SM's I have worked with over the years, you guys hold everything together! =)

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#17re: Question about Stage Managers
Posted: 4/26/05 at 12:14pm

The SM is the BACKBONE of any quality production. There are several books on the subject, but the main thing is to be VERY ORGANIZED. You are the “go-to” person for every department and should know exactly what is going on at all times. You also have to be the “bad-guy” every once in a while by making sure that folks are doing what they are supposed to do or being on time, etc.

It’s a challenge, but any good SM is worth their weight in gold!

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Gothampc
#18re: Question about Stage Managers
Posted: 4/26/05 at 12:18pm

I have worked as a professional stage manager and there are a few things which a person needs to be proficient at.

The ability to think on your feet and not panic
The ability to handle the artistic temperament without going nuts (Psychology 101 helps)
The ability to referee arguments and solve them in a fair way
Organizational ability
Time management
Know how to use duct tape, glue gun, makita
Acting 101 for those times when you have to read lines
Be in good physical shape and know how to properly lift heavy objects by using your legs, not your back

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.