Toughest Tony Category?

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#0Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 7:31pm

Since we basically know the Tony nominees in the main categories (Acting (supporting/lead;musical/play), Show (musical/play;revival/original) etc, what category do you think is really heating up already with tough competition and who do you think will and should win from that category and explain why for each.

I believe that BEST MUSICAL is the toughest category
SHOULD: "Bee" *ShIlL! sHiLl!* Yes, yes, say what you must and get it over with but I think that most critics, Tony voters, and audiences would agree this was the best musical of the year. It's funnny and exciting and *to kind of steal a line from Entertainment Weekly's review of Avenue Q* just as you are finishing laughing hysterically from the uproarous one-liners and songs, you are blindsighted by a sincerly beautiful love song or a truly lovely and touching moment. It also deals with this range of emotions very well.

WILL: As of now, Spamalot. The reasons are obvious; its a HUGE HUGE HUGE hit that already had a cult following to rival The Producers before it opened on Broadway, its a big, glitzy show, and it IS very funny.

Also: a side note/question...am I the only one who thinks that in the Supporting Actress category which I believe will consist of Celia Keenan Bolger, Kelli OHara, Maureen McGovern, Joanna Gleason, and Sara Ramirez, Sara and Maureen could possibly cancel eachother out since the race may seem a bit too close between them and the award might go the the wonderful Keenan Bolger, the incomparable OHara, or the truly excellent Gleason?

WiCkEDrOcKS
#1re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 7:33pm

Let me also say that I believe Sara should win and probably will but Im just thinking out loud. I mean, what I said before about them cancelling eachother out is possible. If McGovern doesnt pull through, however, Im sorry to say that Little Women wont take home any awards that evening. re: Toughest Tony Category?

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#2re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 7:34pm

I'd love to see some surprises, but I think the Tonys will look (surprisingly) pretty much like the already announced OUTER CRITICS CIRCLE awards.

Lamc16 Profile Photo
Lamc16
#3re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 7:42pm

god i hope not.

"You've gotta have a swine to show you where the truffles are."

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#4re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 7:42pm

You're forgetting the FABULOUS Jan Maxwell in the featured actress in a musical category. This woman owns the universe, and if she doesn't get a nomination, I'll be very sad. Why would those specific two cancel each other out, though? Why wouldn't Ramirez and.... O'Hara cancel each other out, for example? That seems really random.

Lead actor is going to have me biting my nails until tomorrow morning. My head is going to explode.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 5/9/05 at 07:42 PM

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#5re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 7:48pm

I hear you Emcee. I hope Raul gets a nom. Although he has no chance of winning. He deserves a nomination.

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#6re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 7:49pm

My little unofficial ballot is still not set on Costume Design of a Musical....I know who I think should win, but I'm iffy as to who I think will win.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#7re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 7:49pm

Any ideas about the toughest categories??

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#8re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 7:51pm

No question the Featured Actor/Actress in a musical category are the two hardest categories to fill and predict. We'll know more tomorrow.
I think Actor and Actress in a Musical are already locked down winner-wise (Butz and Clark).

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#9re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 7:52pm

I think book of a musical. Supporting actor in a musical, best musical are going to be the toughest.

Honestly the only sure thing I can think of is Norbert winning. Everything else is up in the air. And it's not as if it's two shows leading the way. Anything could really come out of no where.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#10re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 7:54pm

I do agree, Bwaysinger.

I believe the nominees for supp. actor will be:
Dan Fogler, Christian Borle, Michael Benjamin Washington or Christopher Sieber, Matthew Morrison, and Dennis O Hare
And I listed my supp. actress nominees.

Eponine- You think Book of a musical is the toughest?

WiCkEDrOcKS
#11re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 7:58pm

And for supporting actress, could Eden, Ramona, and/or Jan Maxwell sneak in? Im so not sure about the supporting actress category. Im crossing my fingers Celia gets a nod.

luvtheEmcee
#12re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 8:02pm

I really don't think Brooklyn's got a chance at acting nods, especially in a category so packed as featured actress. Jan Maxwell is lightyears better than either of those Brooklyn ladies - the audience eats her up.

Is Chris Sieber's part really big enough for a nod? And Matt Morrison's got to be in there somewhere, too. I can't remember if he's lead or not - if he is, he's screwed.

smartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
#13re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 8:06pm

The last I heard Morrison was featured, but I could always be wrong. Sieber just disappears during the show, I can't imagine him getting a nomination without some kind of Spamalot sweep.
I think supporting actor/actress will be the hardest both to nominate and to determine the winner.

I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#14re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 8:09pm

Chris Seiber plays multiple roles in the show and according to the Post, he is eligible for Supporting Actor. And, yes Matt Morrison is also eligible for Supporting Actor.

luvtheEmcee
#15re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 8:10pm

He plays multiple very small roles - he's really not very visible, unfortunately.

smartpenguin78
#16re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 8:11pm

I'm sure Sieber is eligible, but I just don;t see him getting the nom, if there is only one Spamalot in the category my money would be on Borle. Sieber does not have that many characters that make an impact other the Galahad. Whereas Borle is great in all his roles.

Jezebel Profile Photo
Jezebel
#17re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 8:13pm

Odd that one of the toughest categories last year, Leading Actress in a Musical, is one of the least exciting this year. For me, anyway! Isn't it funny how there were so many good female roles last year, but this year there doesn't seem to be?

WiCkEDrOcKS
#18re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 8:14pm

Sorry, I guess I read wrong. But also, am I the only one who thinks that Piazza could sweep in the techinical design categories (sets, costumes, orchestrations, lighting)?

MargoChanning
#19re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 8:16pm

In addition to Galahad, Sieber is also the Black Knight and Prince Herbert's father, which are pretty sizeable parts. He's so well-disguised that people forget just how much stage time he has (about the same amount as Borle does).

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

smartpenguin78
#20re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 8:17pm

I think leading actress in musical is pretty strong this year, of the likely nominees either Clark can take it as kind of expected or any one out of Sutton, Rene Scott, or Applegate could very well walk away with the award. They each have their own story. I think it is much closer than say leading actor in a musical, where is anyone other than Norbert wins it would be quite dismaying.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#21re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 8:18pm

Yeah, Jezebel- I think they better start engraving Victoria and Norbert's Tonys. :) Im happy for them, though because Victoria's Tony seems overdue to me and Norbert is just Norbert...havent seen him in DRS but hear he's as phenomenal as usual.

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#22re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 8:20pm

Bee definitely won't win costumes. I'd go with the lovely period costumes of Piazza or the fun designs of Chitty. Also, I think Chitty's going ot take set design.

smartpenguin78
#23re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 8:20pm

Margo, I don't think its about time on stage the black night and father character are "exactly" like those two in the movie and I don't think they allow Sieber to show off his skils very well at all. Borle has much better material for his stage time.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#24re: Toughest Tony Category?
Posted: 5/9/05 at 8:24pm

bway singer- wait, what? LOL

Videos