How long do shows usually tour?

Rentaholic2
#0How long do shows usually tour?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 2:08am

It saddens me to think that if I do not see the tour of something, I will NEVER get to see that production of that musical. Then there are musicals like Les Miz, Phantom, and Lion King that seem like they will tour forever. What determines how many seasons a tour will go on?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#1re: How long do shows usually tour?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 2:17am

I don't think you can count Les Miz or Phantom as "typical" tours.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2re: How long do shows usually tour?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 2:20am

money determines how many seasons a tour will go on...

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#3re: How long do shows usually tour?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 10:26am

Well to elaborate a bit on what CATS says, money is of course the driving factor, but there are lots of other things that play into it.

Ten years ago, what generally happened was that after Broadway there would be one or two national touring companies that would play extended gigs in major cities like Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston and Dallas, using AEA production contracts (basically the same contract used on Broadway)

Usually after about a year, the tour(s) would convert to a bus and truck contract, designed to play smaller market cities for 1-2 weeks. Usually these tours would simplify the set and would pay the actors less, but were still under Equity jurisdiction.

Nowadays, what generally happens is a tour like MILLIE and THE FULL MONTY will hit the road for about a year under a production contract and then are rolled over to different producers who operate the tour Non Equity.

It's kind of a shame, because while surely these tours are much less expensive to tour then the old Bus and Truck downsize, they are usually way substandard -- from the cast to the simplification of the set.

salpmx Profile Photo
salpmx
#4re: How long do shows usually tour?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 2:08pm

Chicago has been touring with this third one for about three years, performing in big and not that big cities.

Anda y ven tomemos la ciudad....y todo el jazz! http://www.freewebs.com/biancamarroquin

RentBoy86
#5re: How long do shows usually tour?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 2:28pm

I'm not sure what kind of tours we get here in Alabama, but I wanna say they're Non-Equity. But we got the Full Monty a couple months ago and it was really good. I mean i didnt think the set was downsized at all and the singing and acting were pretty good too. Then again, i never saw the b'way production of the show, but i can't imagine them adding in anything else. I agree though, it sucks that once a show is done touring, ill never get to see the original production again. like cats and les miz already came to alabama, and i doubt they'll be back anytime soon.

#6re: How long do shows usually tour?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 3:37pm

Yup. I think it's all based on audience demand for the show, and the cost-benefit ratio. Thank God for tours though, especially for those of us who don't live near NYC. I mean, as much as I love traveling to NYC every 3-6 months, I simply can't see everything that's there (or afford it for that matter)! LOL! :)

~Rosalynn

Stexer1974
#7re: How long do shows usually tour?
Posted: 5/14/05 at 4:08pm

Actually Alabama does get equity productions. I just saw Clear Channels "Chicago" a week or so ago at the BJCC in Birmingham, which is equity, and a few years ago I saw Starlight Express there and it was equity. The Lion King is suppose to swing through in Sept. and it, like the others,is equity. However, I am not saying all the shows that come through are, but a fair amount are. However, The deep south is still way behind unfortunately in its cultural offerings.

Rentaholic2
#8re: How long do shows usually tour?
Posted: 5/15/05 at 3:39pm

I saw the Full Monty in Ft. Worth last year. It SEEMED like the 'Broadway production'...did I see The Half-assed Monty or did I see basically what was on Broadway?

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#9re: How long do shows usually tour?
Posted: 5/15/05 at 7:31pm

Yeah........I was about to say B'ham, Alabama does get equity shows. The only problem I have with Alabama is that I wish we would get a better choice and this season they have stepped it up alot.

Season:
The Lion King....I already have my ticket
Hairspray.....I'm lovin it !!!!
Little Women....Love it but I probably won't see it
42nd Street...I saw it in Huntsville..and I will see it again.

What some people in Alabama don't know is that you don't have to see all the show here in Birmigham, Alabama you can also go up to Huntsville and see those shows as well. I wanted to see Les Mis, and POTO really bad and I missed both shows and I got to see Les Mis again last Spring in Huntsville and Phantom too. I also got a chance to see Miss Saigon in Huntsville.

Facebook...ME !!!

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#10re: How long do shows usually tour?
Posted: 5/15/05 at 10:57pm

well does anyone know if the LSoH tour has any hope of coming back to the LA area sometime before their run ends?

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

Videos