pixeltracker

Great Songs in Weak Scores- Page 3

Great Songs in Weak Scores

hypertruffle
#50re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/24/05 at 4:41pm

I'm kinda intrigued by the show due to its broadway fate.

I did do some research, and managed to get hold of the book somewhere. I thought it was a bit inane. Then again, I stopped reading it somewhere in the end of Act 1, since I couldn't take theat level of silliness and search elsewhere for the synopsis.

I dare not speak of the website I went to....

All I'll say is, the background was as creepy as my ex boyfriend....>.<

*cowards in her corner*

"The cynicism you refer to, I acquired the day I discovered I was different from little boys!~All About Eve
Updated On: 5/24/05 at 04:41 PM

Rose_MacShane Profile Photo
Rose_MacShane
#51re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/24/05 at 4:48pm

"Evening Prayers" from "Carrie" gets my vote. It's such a beautiful song, and there are a couple other good numbers, but the score is a disaster otherwise.

http://community.livejournal.com/ltd_brands_suck/

Quasi
#52re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/24/05 at 4:58pm

She touched me from Drat!The Cat!

Make someone happy from DO RE MI

MusicMan
#53re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/24/05 at 5:27pm

LOVELY LAURIE (Tenderloin)

IT HAPPENS VERY SOFTLY (Nefertiti)

SOMETHING YOU'VE NEVER HAD BEFORE (The Gay Life)

I GOT LOVE (Purlie)

grizzabella
#54re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/24/05 at 8:14pm

Yeah, I agree with "The Impossible Dream" from Man of La Mancha.
While I love the score from "La Cage", I don't think it's necessarily Herman's best. But "Song On the Sand" and "The Best of Times" are great numbers, in my book.
Going way, WAY back, "Hey, There" and "Hernando's Hideaway" from Pajama Game. "My Life With You" from Pippin.

"And the postman sighed as he scratched his head, you really rather thought she ought to be dead..."

ElphabaRose Profile Photo
ElphabaRose
#55re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/24/05 at 8:40pm

Bwaybaby109, you beat me to it.

Whatever happened to class?

525600minutesWicked Profile Photo
525600minutesWicked
#56re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/24/05 at 8:48pm

Well, I realize that some songs in Brooklyn arent that great, but many are like Streetsinger,Brooklyn in the Blood, Love was a Song,Once Upon a Time and Christmas makes Me Cry.. Umm in the opposite side, there are great scores with weak songs such as in Wicked with A Sentalmental Man which was quite annoying on the album, but better to watch, along with Wonderful which the orchestrations are great, but just annoying to listen to unless your watching Idina and Joel do the polka re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
**God Gershwin Theatre I miss you sooo much.......

dano Profile Photo
dano
#57re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/25/05 at 10:34am

There have already been some good ones mentioned. I'd like to add:

"Honest Man" from Bajour
"What's New at the Zoo" from Do Re Mi

"Singing is the lowest form of communication" - Homer

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#58re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/25/05 at 11:29am

I am surprised at so much mention of Man of La Mancha...one of my favorite scores w/ lots of great songs...Gypsy is a great classic and doesnt need defending.

Off the top of my head (cause I just was listening to them):
I Met a Man and How Could I Know from Prettybelle
I Am All Ablaze from Canterbury Tales
(but I secretly like the whole scores to each...just can't call them good.)

Actually like alot from Carrie, Evening Prayers, Open your Heart, Eve Was Weak, I Remember how Those Boys Could Dance, Unsuspecting Hearts...but the lyrics...WOOF...talk about scary.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#59re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/25/05 at 12:01pm

I agree with you about Man of La Mancha, although there are a few uninteresting songs like To Each His Dulcinea & What Do You Want of Me?, the majority of the songs (Impossible Dream, It's All the Same, Man of La Mancha, The Dubbing, Little Bird Little Bird, and Aldonza) are all wonderful, moving songs.

I also think, overall, The Pajama Game has a lot of great songs.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

chess12 Profile Photo
chess12
#60re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/25/05 at 12:32pm

First thing off the top of my head - "Vaults of Heaven" from WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#61re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/25/05 at 12:33pm

doodlenyc: so you don't like any of the ensemble songs? don't waste the moon is so catchy! also, "out for blood" is so bad that it's good.

kill the pig pig pig
kill him kill him
and make him bleed
kill the pig
make him bleed
get the blood, that's all we need
out for blood!

hilarious
Updated On: 5/25/05 at 12:33 PM

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#62re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/25/05 at 12:50pm

Gypsy is an amazing score, but it's not flawless. Little Lamb gets picked on quite a bit, but I think Mr Goldstone is much much worse. The lyrics are silly, it does nothing to advance character development or the plot, and it revolves around a character whom you never see again! For me at least, the show would be better off without it.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#63re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/25/05 at 12:51pm

Didnt mean to leave any out...actually really like the whole score, but Pigs Blood Ballet is pretty rough re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Love the title song as well...Linzi is amazing.

The recording I have tho, the girls, especially during Dream On, are VERY sharp. I always attributed it to "well they are dancers and the intervals are tough in that number" but it is better in the video. Still, the lyrics are mostly crap.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#64re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/25/05 at 12:53pm

yes, they are sharp during Dream On...there is only one recording of Carrie...from closing night. that is the one we all have.

Videos