Lion King - Tour in Mpls

MrMarkCharlieBrownCohen Profile Photo
MrMarkCharlieBrownCohen
#0Lion King - Tour in Mpls
Posted: 5/25/05 at 12:22pm

I saw the show last night in Minneapolis and having seen the original company when it was here before Bway in 97, I was amazed that Disney would allow something like that to actual perform publically. (Then again, I remember the last time Beauty & the Beast was here and it was scaled down beyond belief and the cast seemed tired.)

The sound was horrible and the cast seemed bored. Like they were all on auto-pilot. Except Rhafiki - the persons name escapes me but they were AMAZING!!!!! (Are all Rhafiki's women, typically?)

Someone, send this cast some Starbucks giftcards and wake them up! Has anyone else experienced this sleepy tour?

mikewood
#1re: Lion King - Tour in Mpls
Posted: 5/25/05 at 12:25pm

I don't know if it was the same tour I saw in Boston or not, but while the touring company did seem to be lacking something in comparison to the Broadway company I certainly sensed the energy and enjoyed the show.

I went twice last year, bringing both nieces in the Summer and one niece in December.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

mikewood
#2re: Lion King - Tour in Mpls
Posted: 5/25/05 at 12:25pm

ick! I've never double posted before. Sorry!

BLAH BLAH BLAH
Updated On: 5/25/05 at 12:25 PM

Anastasia_Beaverhausen Profile Photo
Anastasia_Beaverhausen
#3re: Lion King - Tour in Mpls
Posted: 5/25/05 at 2:09pm

The other tour is here in Sacramento now. The cast is actually great, but the show is REALLY BAD! I was bored 95% of the time. Love the opening and the costumes, but that's about it. Bad, bad show. And it beat out RAGTIME for the Tony!?!?!?

Norbert Leo's Butt Profile Photo
Norbert Leo's Butt
#4re: Lion King - Tour in Mpls
Posted: 5/25/05 at 3:21pm

i have seen the london production 3 times and think it really stinks. the first time was awesome but, you're right, it is really tired. and rafiki is always a women. the costumes i think are quite effective but again et a little tiring.x

'They re-made my belly with skin from my butt'

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#5re: Lion King - Tour in Mpls
Posted: 5/25/05 at 3:53pm

That makes me really sad to hear...because the national tour that I saw in Memphis, I found to be rather impressive and up to par with the Broadway company. And I love this show...

Anastasia_Beaverhausen Profile Photo
Anastasia_Beaverhausen
#6re: Lion King - Tour in Mpls
Posted: 5/25/05 at 4:00pm

People LOVE this show. I just don't get it. But, to each their own. I love stuff others don't. You could watch these tours now and think we are all crazy for saying what we have said. It's all subjective.
Updated On: 5/25/05 at 04:00 PM

MrMarkCharlieBrownCohen Profile Photo
MrMarkCharlieBrownCohen
#7re: Lion King - Tour in Mpls
Posted: 5/25/05 at 4:21pm

I'm pretty sure it gets by on spectacle alone. That's what made it's Tony award acceptable.
I mean, lets face it, the Hyena (sp?) songs are a bad!
Perhaps the kids love them, but on the other end of things - Simba's ballad is a winner.

Is the Broadway production much differant (size wise, etc)? I cant remember specifics, but I remember being blown away by everything the first time (pre-broadway - way back when) but this time, it made me sleepy! Is it fair to charge full price for a #1 show that lacks energy after all these years?

DayDreamer Profile Photo
DayDreamer
#8re: Lion King - Tour in Mpls
Posted: 5/25/05 at 4:34pm

I saw the tour in Seattle over X-mas. Don't know which company it was, but I thought it was great. Not the best piece of musical theater, but yes, as a spectacle, it was awesome. And the performers I thought were quite good... the one standout what the gentleman playing Zazu (sp... have no idea how to spell his name).

Celebrate Life

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. - Randy Pausch

ConductorMan
#9re: Lion King - Tour in Mpls
Posted: 5/25/05 at 4:46pm

I understand the spectacle and all, but I really don't like the show. It has none of the charm of the movie, and I really did not think that the fart humor is appropriate for children. I felt like I was seeing a Las Vegas extravaganza than a piece of theatre. I appreciate the costumes and all but the show leaves me absolutely cold. It was so loud the theatre floor was shaking. Whatever happened to shows that had a good score, a good script, and craft. They are few and far between today!

#10re: Lion King - Tour in Mpls
Posted: 7/14/05 at 7:52pm

Saw the tour when it came through Baltimore, and was thoroughly unimpressed, even with my excellent seats. It was much better the first time on Broadway, even though we were on the very last row.

Videos