Jerry Herman's MRS. SANTA CLAUS

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#0Jerry Herman's MRS. SANTA CLAUS
Posted: 5/25/05 at 3:51pm

I haven't seen the film. I believe it starred Angela Lansbury with a score by Jerry Herman.

Is this a typical book musical? How is it?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Gothampc
#1re: Jerry Herman's MRS. SANTA CLAUS
Posted: 5/25/05 at 4:09pm

I think it's a great holiday treat. Also stars, Michael Jeter, Terrence Mann and Charles Durning. And Jerry Herman has a cameo in it.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#2re: Jerry Herman's MRS. SANTA CLAUS
Posted: 5/25/05 at 4:15pm

Is it a book musical? Or a movie with songs?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

ConductorMan
#3re: Jerry Herman's MRS. SANTA CLAUS
Posted: 5/25/05 at 4:49pm

It is a book musical. It would be great to see it on the stage. It could replace A CHRISTMAS CAROL that ran forever at Madison Square Garden. Catchy tunes, and really fun.

Gothampc
#4re: Jerry Herman's MRS. SANTA CLAUS
Posted: 5/25/05 at 4:49pm

Movie with songs.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

ConvinceMe2 Profile Photo
ConvinceMe2
#5re: Jerry Herman's MRS. SANTA CLAUS
Posted: 5/25/05 at 4:57pm

I think it falls more into the book musical category. I like it alot.

ConvinceMe2 is dead. Long live BrendanStryker!
Updated On: 5/25/05 at 04:57 PM

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#6re: Jerry Herman's MRS. SANTA CLAUS
Posted: 5/25/05 at 5:02pm

I've had the title song stuck in my head for years and years. That is not a good thing.

Gothampc
#7re: Jerry Herman's MRS. SANTA CLAUS
Posted: 5/25/05 at 5:03pm

In a book musical, the songs should advance the plot or explain character. I really didn't think that was the case in this instance. It's more like the songs were there to lead us into commercials.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#8re: Jerry Herman's MRS. SANTA CLAUS
Posted: 5/25/05 at 5:03pm

Herman has a knack for doing that to ya.

--Aristotle

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#9re: Jerry Herman's MRS. SANTA CLAUS
Posted: 5/25/05 at 5:06pm

And I've only really heard it once, when I saw the movie when it originally aired...

I don't even know if the tune or lyrics are correct in my head...

I just remember

"I'm Mrs. Santa Claus..." Over and over.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#10re: Jerry Herman's MRS. SANTA CLAUS
Posted: 5/25/05 at 5:08pm

I didn't know this was a musical... I should try and find a copy now...

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#11re: Jerry Herman's MRS. SANTA CLAUS
Posted: 5/25/05 at 5:11pm

I think Terrence Mann is in it.

bare_nakedlady Profile Photo
bare_nakedlady
#12re: Jerry Herman's MRS. SANTA CLAUS Will bow 2006?
Posted: 7/29/05 at 3:57pm

WEll, I hope this comes to fruition. In this article from Playbill it says they are working on getting the stage show ready for a seasonal run next Christmas!

I love this show!

Mrs. Santa Claus

"It's like children's theatre for 40-year old gay people!" - XANADU THE MUSICAL
Updated On: 7/29/05 at 03:57 PM

Videos