2005 Tony Performances

DickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
#02005 Tony Performances
Posted: 5/26/05 at 12:07pm

Do we know whoat numbers are being performed at the Tonys this year???

Very excited to see Norbert, Sherie, & Sutton perform!!!

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#1re: 2005 Tony Performances
Posted: 5/26/05 at 12:09pm

Oy. There are now THREE threads on this! (Search, people! They're all on page one!)

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=851502&dt=052605112254

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=851514&dt=052605120856

And the answer is still no.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 5/26/05 at 12:09 PM

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#2re: 2005 Tony Performances
Posted: 5/26/05 at 12:18pm

Why would Sutton perform?

525600minutesWicked Profile Photo
525600minutesWicked
#3re: 2005 Tony Performances
Posted: 5/26/05 at 1:57pm

r u kidding me Ken ?! Why wouldnt she perform ?! Shes amazing.... Aparently you didnt look at the Tony nominations for this season or your just new to the whole Broadway thing. ANd if you have nething against Little Women or Sutton wow how is that possible ?

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#4re: 2005 Tony Performances
Posted: 5/26/05 at 1:58pm

Sutton in all likelihood will not perform. Her show is not nominated for Best Musical. If history is any barometer, she will not sing a note.

The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.

musicnmath
#5re: 2005 Tony Performances
Posted: 5/26/05 at 2:08pm

...like the year Heather won and we didn't get to hear her sing because Aida wasn't nominated re: 2005 Tony Performances

Lucifer
#6re: 2005 Tony Performances
Posted: 5/26/05 at 2:13pm

also the show must be open still to perform... it's like an unwritten rule

~ "No, I don't want to hurt you... I only want to KILL!!!!" -Bat Boy

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#7re: 2005 Tony Performances
Posted: 5/26/05 at 2:35pm

"also the show must be open still to perform... it's like an unwritten rule"

except in 1998 when Alice and Emily performed I Will Never Leave You

pndmnd
#8re: 2005 Tony Performances
Posted: 5/26/05 at 2:43pm

I believe that James Joyce's The Dead had already closed, as well, and still performed, but then last year Big River wasn't allowed to. The only reason Sutton Foster would perform would be if they used her in the opening act.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#9re: 2005 Tony Performances
Posted: 5/26/05 at 2:44pm

Its not always an unwritten rule that closed shows don't perform. RAGS, SIDE SHOW, many others performed on the Tony's long after they closed. These shows, were, of course nominated for Best Musical. I think the rule there is that it depends on the lobbying of the Producer of the show to the Producer of the telecast.

There does seem to be a general rule of thumb that closed revivals don't perform, which means no PACIFIC OVERTURES.

As others have said, Sutton Foster wouldn't be performing because LITTLE WOMEN wasn't nominated.

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#10re: 2005 Tony Performances
Posted: 5/26/05 at 2:44pm

And civil war performed, didn't it? Even though it closed.

525600 - sutton won't perform because her show wasn't nominated for best musical. It was nothing against Sutton.

romanov
#11re: 2005 Tony Performances
Posted: 5/26/05 at 2:45pm

closed shows have performed before. Judy Kuhn and Dick Latessa did Rags. And the looks on their faces afterwards were so pitiful I thought they'd take the gas pipe.
Updated On: 5/26/05 at 02:45 PM

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#12re: 2005 Tony Performances
Posted: 5/26/05 at 2:48pm

Soshanna Bean, Eden Espinosa, and David Ayers are going to a do a medely of all the crappy shows/performances this year.

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#13re: 2005 Tony Performances
Posted: 5/26/05 at 2:49pm

Bobby, then perhaps Sutton WILL perform!

The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#14re: 2005 Tony Performances
Posted: 5/26/05 at 2:52pm

She'll be in the medely of mediocre songs of the year.

musicalsaregreat
#15re: 2005 Tony Performances
Posted: 5/26/05 at 2:52pm

The general rule is that only the shows nominated for original or revival of a musical get to perform. Heather did perform for Aida, she and the cast performed The Gods Love Nubia. Exceptions have been made in the past. The year Rent won, both Big and State Fair performed even though they were not nominated in either category.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#16re: 2005 Tony Performances
Posted: 5/26/05 at 2:53pm

Weren't the Big and State fair performances pre-recorded? Actuallly, I think a lot of that year was pre-recorded.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#17re: 2005 Tony Performances
Posted: 5/26/05 at 2:54pm

A couple of years ago, some pretty amazing people did a Rodgers and Hammerstein Medley.... Lea Salonga, Harry Connick, Jr, I believe were among them. Perhaps if there's something like that this year, Sutton would be a part. I think it would be a really nice gesture to involve her somehow.

However, I had to laugh at 525600's comment - Sutton's not going to perform simply because she's "OMG SO AMAZING!" nor just because she was nominated for best actress. It's usually the shows nominated for best musical and revival (the ones that are still open, to be more exact) that perform. But of course, someone who was asking why she'd perform, probalby based on that is crazy and must be new to the scene! re: 2005 Tony Performances

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 5/26/05 at 02:54 PM

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#18re: 2005 Tony Performances
Posted: 5/26/05 at 2:56pm

I heard a rumor Sutton is going to sing/present every award while the celebrities dance Twyla Tharp's choreography.

Updated On: 5/26/05 at 02:56 PM

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#19re: 2005 Tony Performances
Posted: 5/26/05 at 2:57pm

Politics do play a part...The revival of SHOW BOAT performed (via Satelite from Toronto) before it opened on Broadway and I REMEMBER MAMA got a huge segment though it wasn't nominated because they were doing a celebration of Richard Rodgers that year.

It may be interesting to note, that until the early 80s, not every nominated musical performed on the Tonys. The selection was much more arbitrary. A lot of the most popular musicals of the 1970s -- THE WIZ, NIGHT MUSIC, FOLLIES didn't perform.
Updated On: 5/26/05 at 02:57 PM

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#20re: 2005 Tony Performances
Posted: 5/26/05 at 2:58pm

I enjoyed the short number from Busker Alley.

romanov
#21re: 2005 Tony Performances
Posted: 5/26/05 at 3:02pm

Michael Bennett: That god-awful number from I Remember Mama got on because Alex Cohen produced that musical and the Tony Awards that year. Cohen engineered the special Tony for Richard Rodgers so he could get that number on the air and hopefully increase ticket sales. It didn't work.

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#22re: 2005 Tony Performances
Posted: 5/26/05 at 3:06pm

Didn't they perform from Busker Alley because there were practically no Best Musical nominees that could perform due to closings? It was telecast from the road, wasn't it?

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#23re: 2005 Tony Performances
Posted: 5/26/05 at 3:13pm

Yeah I think it was a slow year. They did a few clips from tryout productions, I seem to remember a Hello Dolly! clip and a Master Class clip. I think but am not positive that it was the year Smokey Joe and Sunset were the 2 best musical noms.

BwayTheatre11
#24re: 2005 Tony Performances
Posted: 5/26/05 at 3:15pm

What is up with the sudden stupidness on BWW?

CCM '10!

Videos