Moby Dick, The Musical

MusicRox Profile Photo
MusicRox
#0Moby Dick, The Musical
Posted: 5/28/05 at 10:46pm

Has anyone ever heard of this musical? It's really great! My school's summer stock program was supposed to do it this year, but the administration didn't let us because it's kinda racy(sp?) Now, we're doing The Fantasticks! Not too excited about this show, but I'm going to be Matt, so I guess that's cool.

ally_kay_on_broadway Profile Photo
ally_kay_on_broadway
#1re: Moby Dick, The Musical
Posted: 5/28/05 at 11:57pm

YES I'VE HEARD OF IT! When i was in highschool we were going to do it but couldn't for the same reasons(too racy...PFFFFFTT) i wanted the 'ditz' part so badly!!!

"talent is wanting something hard enough to work for it" - my drama teacher :)

Joshua488
#2re: Moby Dick, The Musical
Posted: 5/29/05 at 12:00am

It's racy? How so?

MusicRox Profile Photo
MusicRox
#3re: Moby Dick, The Musical
Posted: 5/29/05 at 12:06am

ally_kay_on_broadway, the ditz part is Stubb. I love her part too! Joshua488, are you being serious?

alphieboy Profile Photo
alphieboy
#4re: Moby Dick, The Musical
Posted: 5/29/05 at 12:11am

Yes, I have heard of this musical. I came across it one day while I was scanning the mti website. However, it seemed to be more of a child's show...what is racy about it?

"If I have something to say, the whole world (BroadwayWorld) should hear it." - Thenardier

ally_kay_on_broadway Profile Photo
ally_kay_on_broadway
#5re: Moby Dick, The Musical
Posted: 5/29/05 at 12:12am

I honestly don't remember, i just remember hearing the school admin. didn't want us doing it. Yeah its such a good show- especially for a high school or a theatre on a budget

"talent is wanting something hard enough to work for it" - my drama teacher :)

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#6re: Moby Dick, The Musical
Posted: 5/29/05 at 12:13am

I got the CD for it years ago - but the recording is so poor most of it can't be made out at all. I wouldn't know if it was racy at all!

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

MusicRox Profile Photo
MusicRox
#7re: Moby Dick, The Musical
Posted: 5/29/05 at 12:20am

Well, the repetition of Dick was enough for our admin to stop us. Also, when the crew is out hunting for the whale, Ahab gets obsessed with the search and the crew believes that Ahab is just upset over the loss of a male lover who really knew how to blow. I don't know the exact line because my friend lost my CD. It had something about "going down" too.

mmajer
#8re: Moby Dick, The Musical
Posted: 5/29/05 at 12:35am

It is a little bit racy. I'm currently in a production of Moby Dick and there are tons of plays on the word "dick" and of course there are jokes thrown in such as:

"Does he fantail a little odd before he GOES DOWN"
"Is it a shock of wheat he spouts whenever he BLOWS"

and other such comments about dick being all magnet and Ahab smelling dick. It's definately a fun show, the music is all over the place!

MusicRox Profile Photo
MusicRox
#9re: Moby Dick, The Musical
Posted: 5/29/05 at 12:38am

Yay! Those are the lines. Thanks, mmajer. I'm so jealous of you though!

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#10re: Moby Dick, The Musical
Posted: 5/29/05 at 12:54am

Wow. Boy, does that musical sound true to the book or what.

Jon
#11re: Moby Dick, The Musical
Posted: 5/29/05 at 6:23am

For the unaware, the show is a musical farce based on the premise of a group of teenaged girls at a middle school putting on Moby Dick.

Jon
#12re: Moby Dick, The Musical
Posted: 5/29/05 at 6:23am

For the unaware, the show is a musical farce based on the premise of a group of teenaged girls at a middle school putting on Moby Dick.

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#13re: Moby Dick, The Musical
Posted: 5/31/05 at 8:15am

My first West End musical at the tender age of 10. Looking back, most of the more bizzare lines went over my head, but the cast seemed to be having so much fun I laughed anyway. The 3D sequence was great (if random) and the music was cheerful clap-along fare. It's an absolute sprawling mess of a show and not going to change the world, but it was extremely lovable. Perhaps not one for schools to perform though . . .

Act4ever Profile Photo
Act4ever
#14re: Moby Dick, The Musical
Posted: 5/31/05 at 9:40pm

Some of the music is AWESOME!

My Thespian troupe did the opening # for a competition and got Critics choice for it.

The show is about the girls of St. Godley's school trying to raise money to keep their school open, so with the heip of their head-mistress (playing Captain Ahab) they put on their own production of the classic, Moby Dick. Oh, and did I mention the head mistress was in drag too?

Some of the music is very very good and catchy (opening # esp.) You can order a newer CD starring (the brilliant) Bryan Batt as the Head Mistress from mtishows.com

Some of the other jokes are like "How'd you like my dick, Head?"

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#15re: Moby Dick, The Musical
Posted: 5/31/05 at 9:42pm

I've seen this show and just love it. A truly hilarious musical that I hope has a future!

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

Act4ever Profile Photo
Act4ever
#16re: Moby Dick, The Musical
Posted: 5/31/05 at 9:57pm

I met Bryan Batt in December - last time I was in NYC and he said that Cameron Macintosh was planning on doing SOMETHING with it. He was saying how he really loved the show too and would have to "E-mail Cameron" to tell him I enjoyed it. Can you believe it? "Email Cameron" lol i thought that was kinda cool

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#17re: Moby Dick, The Musical
Posted: 5/31/05 at 10:09pm

I love going on MTI and they play the title song... it's so cute.

Moby Dick! Moby Dick the musical! Moby Dick! Moby Dick the musical!

hilarious...

#18re: Moby Dick, The Musical
Posted: 5/31/05 at 10:18pm

It sounds kinda stupid. Now an actual musical based on the oh-so-great novel would probably be good. Hard, but good.

Maybe just a play.

Act4ever Profile Photo
Act4ever
#19re: Moby Dick, The Musical
Posted: 5/31/05 at 10:24pm

Strangly enough... my drama teacher read the show after falling in love with the opening # --- and she said that most of our school wouldnt like it, mainly because it is SOOO much like the book, that unless you read it, you wont appreciate it as much.

Moby Dick! Moby Dick, the musical!
Moby Dick! A Whale of a tale! (Clap! Clap!)
Moby Dick! Everything that's nautical!
Moby Dick! We're havin' a whale - a whale of a tale!
Whale of a Tail!
Whale of a Tale!

...thought i'd add on for you CATS re: Moby Dick, The Musical

BwayDreams
#20re: Moby Dick, The Musical
Posted: 6/1/05 at 12:03am

When I first heard there was a Moby Dick the musical I thought for sure it would be a serious musical telling of the book. But it couldn't be further from that. Its a total camp musical about an all girls school doing a producition of Moby Dick. If people don't see how that could get racy then I don't know what else to tell you. I heard a clip of one of the songs on DanielTorres.net He is a standby for Altar Boyz. MY FAVORITE SHOW IN NYC! I think there is an entire cd that they recorded at MTI. Bryan Batt was Ahab and Spelling Bee's Lisa Howard is one of the girls. I'd love to see this show produced some where.

MusicRox Profile Photo
MusicRox
#21re: Moby Dick, The Musical
Posted: 6/1/05 at 12:42am

Yay! A fan base for Dick! I believe that should be a line in the show if it isn't already! Anywho, I finally got my CD back. I think Daniel Torres is on it! Act4ever, I might steal your idea and ask if we could do the opening for thespian conference. Hmmm, mahvelous!

roquat
#22re: Moby Dick, The Musical
Posted: 6/1/05 at 12:22pm

as far as racy is concerned--one of the girls is also pregnant and it is suggested that she could play the whale.

I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."

russello
#23re: Moby Dick, The Musical
Posted: 6/2/05 at 12:30pm

Well happy to hear there is chatter about Moby Dick the musical
I have been working on the US version for about three years now.
And it has evolved a long way from the London production.
As far as too dirty to do, that is sort of silly, because it can be done as wild and campy, or the naughty bits can be excluded.
A lot of HS have done the show over the past few years.
In my directors notes I even tell how to cut things that are
too naughty. The heart of the show lies in the fun campy nature of it, and it truly can play as two different shows if done by students. This summer SEASIDE MUSIC Theater in Daytona Beach will do one of the First Major regional theatre productions.
Also the Beck Center in Ohio will be doing a smaller production.
The score is what first got me hooked on the show, now I have been working with Cameron, and the authors to revise and form this new USA version of the show. You can visit the MTI web site and go to the MOBY DICK page and hear samples of the entire score.
Glad to hear that people have been having fun with it. IT is a very wacky show!!!

The show is much tighter than the Lodon version.
If anyone has questions or would like a CD of this version
contact me!
russello@mtishows.com Updated On: 6/2/05 at 12:30 PM

newsgoil
#24re: Moby Dick, The Musical
Posted: 9/19/06 at 4:27pm

Yay for Moby Dick! The Musical!

I'm currently playing Ishmael at my local community theater and having a blast. The entire cast has absolutely and totally fallen in love with it. It's all I listen to right now. It's so clever and the music is really fun. I just hope we get a good community response :)