News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

What will be Broadway standard audition songs in 10 years?

What will be Broadway standard audition songs in 10 years?

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#0What will be Broadway standard audition songs in 10 years?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 8:00pm

Thought I might steer away from the Tony's for a bit.

Pretty straightforward question. If Wicked shuts down next year, will it's songs be performable? Will it be considered as an overdone musical i.e. On My Own, Tomorrow?
What about Phantom? Assuming it'll shut down in the very near future. Will Christine's songs be held as standards, challenging repertoire?

What will be a standard Broadway piece for auditions and performances?

Also, I was just wondering something. Even though overdone songs like On My Own are advised against, how often are they really used? Everyone says not to use them, so wouldn't it make it very uncommon?

This is my signature.
Updated On: 6/6/05 at 08:00 PM

roquat
#1re: What will be Broadway standards in 10 years?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:30pm

Please don't EVER sing Les Miz songs in an audition. As soon as auditors hear the first bar, their eyes glaze over, knowing the misery that is to come. Those songs were so done to death during the entire run of that show, they've become universally hated.

I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."

NYC_or_Bust Profile Photo
NYC_or_Bust
#2re: What will be Broadway standards in 10 years?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:33pm

I'd say anything from Ragtime! haha but thats my opinion...actually Wheels of a Dream and New Music would be great choices.

I adore the black band holding on the Phantom's mask. ~ Jenna2

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#3re: What will be Broadway standards in 10 years?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:40pm

I'm not asking for audition songs. But will the songs that Graydon sings become "okay" in the future? Or will they still be overdone. We've got great songs that aren't used very often. So what will these be in the future? And what will the "On My Own"s of the future be?

This is my signature.

jam_man
#4re: What will be Broadway standards in 10 years?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:55pm

Hairspray may soon become overdone, I would say. I mean it's good, but it would have to be to take it to "done-all-the-time" territory. (Except "Memory," of course!) It's well liked, and new, so everyone will say, "I should do this - they've probably never heard this at an audition!" But soon, they will have.

But don't get me wrong - Hairspray will be a musical classic in 10-15 years.

"Who is Stephen Sondheim?" -roninjoey
"The man who wishes he had written Phantom of the Opera!" - SueleenGay

GO CARDINALS!!!

~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo
~FloweryFriend~
#5re: What will be Broadway standards in 10 years?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 12:12am

"Nothing Is Too Wonderful to Be True" - DRS
"Light in the Piazza" - Light in the Piazza
"Passiegiata" - Light in the Piazza
"Popular" - Wicked

I starred in a short film called Magnetic Personality. Check it out!

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#6re: What will be Broadway standards in 10 years?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 12:25am

"Off to Massachusetts" - Little Women
"Astonishing", "Better" - Little Women (actually, most of Jo's songs...now that I think about it)
"Oklahoma?" - DRS (good character one)
"Forget About the Boy" - Millie

This is my signature.

i*heart*fame
#7re: What will be Broadway standards in 10 years?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 12:28am

i agree with aigoo, i think that astonishing will become a standard, or at least sung by teens for school play auditions

"Don't thank your parents, if you were raised in a nurturing environment you wouldnt be in show business"--Conan O'Brien at the 2006 Emmy Awards

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#8re: What will be Broadway standards in 10 years?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 12:32am

Hard to pull off though. A) The song itself is difficult to perform well, B) Sutton did it.

This is my signature.

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#9re: What will be Broadway standards in 10 years?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 12:52pm

Bump.

This is my signature.

ashley0139
#10re: What will be Broadway standards in 10 years?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 1:00pm

Astonishing is a great but difficult song. There could be some great audition songs from that show. For boys or girls. "Take a Chance on Me" could become standard or "How I am".

The only people who don't do Les Miz etc. are the people who know theatre. Probably big, Broadway auditions don't hear so much of it, but it is always advised against to people who ask for opinions. But if you wen to a community theatre or something, you would hear it all the time.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#11re: What will be Broadway standards in 10 years?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 1:03pm

When I was listening to the Little Women soundtrack, I was thinking at almost every song, "This would make a GREAT audition song."

And to the commonly used song issue, so are community theatre people just..inexperienced? That they would choose such a commonly used song to torture the auditors with? Shouldn't they know better, even if it is just community theatre? For my coming audition, I stand out because I'm doing something from The Wild Party, while other teenage girls might do "Defying Gravity" (dear...god...) or a Les Miz song. However, will the college students (17-21) know better and do something else? Since they have more experience under their belt, they'd probably pick a more uncommon, good audition song. So does the entire thing depend on experience and common sense?

This is my signature.
Updated On: 6/6/05 at 01:03 PM

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#12re: What will be Broadway standards in 10 years?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 7:10pm

Bump again. Now that the Tony hype has somewhat died down.

This is my signature.

SoDisgusticified
#13re: What will be Broadway standards in 10 years?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 7:33pm

One of my favorites songs to audition with is the Life of the Party from the Wild Party. I always get a reeeeeaaaalllly good reaction from the auditioners, especially since 70% at least are doing All That Jazz, On My Own, Popular, Gimmie Gimmie, etc... I've used My Strongest Suit a couple times but I'm growing a little wary of its strong pop sound. I agree, majority of Little Women's songs could be auditioned with, though I doubt it would very often be done well.

~KC

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#14re: What will be Broadway standards in 10 years?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 7:56pm

SoDisgusticified, I'm using the Life of the Party for my upcoming audition. re: What will be Broadway standards in 10 years? I probably would've used Strongest Suit, but the actual production IS Aida, and I'm not sure if I should audition with a song from the production. re: What will be Broadway standards in 10 years?

This is my signature.

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#15re: What will be Broadway standards in 10 years?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 8:09pm

I will be the king of Broadway and produce "Rural City Folk: A New Space Rock Opera" based on the songs of Bruce Springstein starring Ashton Kutcher and Paris Hilton at the Starbucs Theatre on Panasonic St.!!! It WILL happen because I have all the money.

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#16re: What will be Broadway standards in 10 years?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 8:11pm

I hear Paris can belt quite a tune.

This is my signature.

Beergoggles
#17re: What will be Broadway standards in 10 years?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 8:12pm

Women

Gimme Gimme
Jimmy (the ON MY OWN?)
The Wizard And I
On My Own- Overdone but it's a classic and will always be used!

Men

What Do I Need With Love?
It Takes Two
Take A Chance On Me
On My Own... i'll put money on it that some lad tries it lol

Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!

bwaymargie Profile Photo
bwaymargie
#18re: What will be Broadway standards in 10 years?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 8:18pm

thread-jack

since we are on the topic of audition songs...
would singing something from "Carrie"..yes. "Carrie." if you could get the music and have the range for it...

would that be acceptable for somewhere like CCM for a college audition? They dont want overdone....

Beergoggles
#19re: What will be Broadway standards in 10 years?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 8:20pm

I think it would be great... probably wont have heard in ages (if ever) and if you sing and perform it well... go for it!

Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#20re: What will be Broadway standards in 10 years?
Posted: 6/7/05 at 12:57pm

Bump

This is my signature.

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#21re: What will be Broadway standards in 10 years?
Posted: 6/7/05 at 5:13pm

Love Sneaks In, perhaps, except I don't remember if it is comical or not.

dietcherryemma
#22re: What will be Broadway standards in 10 years?
Posted: 6/7/05 at 5:15pm

All Millie's songs from TMM, definitely.

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#23re: What will be Broadway standards in 10 years?
Posted: 6/7/05 at 5:21pm

Hehe. Um...I have music from Carrie...and I use it at auditions. Especially the "Carrie" song ....you know, the "Carrie, I am the sound of distant thunder..." song:) People ask what its from and when I tell them, it always gets a great reaction.:)

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

Videos