Bat Boy: Inside Your Heart

Jera Profile Photo
Jera
#0Bat Boy: Inside Your Heart
Posted: 6/10/05 at 6:07pm

I love Bat Boy, and I love Kerry Butler, but I hate the last note sung in "Inside Your Heart". It ruins the song for me. What does everyone else think of this song?

jera

"It's not a problem, it's just a challenge, it's a challenge, to resist temptation."

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#1re: Bat Boy: Inside Your Heart
Posted: 6/10/05 at 6:19pm

They cut this song when they did it in London and replaced it with a new one.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Jera Profile Photo
Jera
#2re: Bat Boy: Inside Your Heart
Posted: 6/10/05 at 6:23pm

cool... I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. Is the new song good?

jera

"It's not a problem, it's just a challenge, it's a challenge, to resist temptation."

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#3re: Bat Boy: Inside Your Heart
Posted: 6/10/05 at 6:26pm

WAY better, it's called Mine, All Mine. Look for it.

"Jane, I've been dealt a blow - I've been dealt a blow, Jane."

suddenlyseymour Profile Photo
suddenlyseymour
#4re: Bat Boy: Inside Your Heart
Posted: 6/10/05 at 6:55pm

"let me prove I love you, let me become part of you, I see no better way to start, now I can live inside your heart" =) I love this song and I love kerry butler!

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#5re: Bat Boy: Inside Your Heart
Posted: 6/10/05 at 6:59pm

The note at the end of 'Insdie Your Heart' was basically a gag anyway -- just a joke about the overly-zealous long notes at the end of big ballads. 'Mine All Mine' is a stronger song, emphasizes Shelley more and builds to her decision to offer her blood to Edgar, rather than have her make the big decision in the first part of the song such as 'Inside Your Heart' did.

ess2484 Profile Photo
ess2484
#6re: Bat Boy: Inside Your Heart
Posted: 6/10/05 at 8:46pm

Mine All Mine has the same gag last note. It's on the London cast recording for Bat Boy. It's a really good song; I listen to it all the time

Necromancer07707 Profile Photo
Necromancer07707
#7re: Bat Boy: Inside Your Heart
Posted: 6/11/05 at 2:51am

I always thought it was supposed to be funny.

"I am ready to disclaim my opinion, even of yesterday, even of 10 minutes ago, because all opinions are relative. One lives in a field of influences, one is influenced by everyone one meets, everything is an exchange of influences, all opinions are derivative. Once you deal a new deck of cards, you've got a new deck of cards." — Peter Brook

felineofavenueb Profile Photo
felineofavenueb
#8re: Bat Boy: Inside Your Heart
Posted: 6/11/05 at 3:41am

The only reason it doesn't bother me is because I also always assumed it was mocking those hugely dramatic last notes in big ballads.

I love this show, I'd kill to be able to see the London version... but living in California, that's just not going to happen.

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#9re: Bat Boy: Inside Your Heart
Posted: 6/11/05 at 6:14am

Well, the show closed ages ago in London. Sorry. There is an OLC available which I prefer, so you should hunt it down. It's different enough from the OCR to make it worth buying.

"Jane, I've been dealt a blow - I've been dealt a blow, Jane."

Jera Profile Photo
Jera
#10re: Bat Boy: Inside Your Heart
Posted: 6/11/05 at 9:38am

I think the note will annoy me less now that I know it's a joke.

Thanks for the help,
jera

BwayTheatre11
#11re: Bat Boy: Inside Your Heart
Posted: 6/11/05 at 11:48pm

Is Mine All Mine the song performed at Standing Ovations? If so, it is much better.

CCM '10!

MarkCohen
#12re: Bat Boy: Inside Your Heart
Posted: 6/12/05 at 5:49pm

I HATED Mine, All Mine in Toronto. I really missed Inside Your Heart.

Up In Lost
#13re: Bat Boy: Inside Your Heart
Posted: 6/12/05 at 7:28pm

I got to hear Emma [InsertLastNameHere] and Deven sing it, and I still liked Inside Your Heart more. Mine, All Mine uses many of the same lyrics, and I don't know. Maybe I'm just bias and didn't like it because i heard Emma sing it. Maybe. Lol. I odn't know, really. I just liked Inside Your Heart more.

Well, I'm glad he got away with it.

Blair
#14re: Bat Boy: Inside Your Heart
Posted: 6/12/05 at 7:39pm

"Mine, All Mine" is definitely a better song. There is much more of a build up. Larry O'Keefe has said that in "Inside Your Heart", the conflict is known from the start, but in "Mine, All Mine", both characters go through a journey. Also, I love that Emma's Shelley was more of a girl on the edge of woman-hood, rather than Kerry's childlike Shelley. This song is catered to Emma's Shelly more in that respect.

Up In Lost, her last name is Williams. :)

stylinbohemian
#15re: Bat Boy: Inside Your Heart
Posted: 6/12/05 at 8:17pm

i know its like my fav song then the ending is just like okay lets turn the volume down and pretend we didnt hear that!

"If There's One Thing to Learn it's You Just Can't Go Wrong If You Follow Your Heart, and End With A Song"

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#16re: Bat Boy: Inside Your Heart
Posted: 6/13/05 at 7:20am

Got to agree with the majority - I liked Mine all Mine much more than Inside Your Heart. Emma Williams and Devon May were fantastic in this song and it just seemed to work better in the show for me. It practiaclly blew the roof off the theatre at the last performance! re: Bat Boy: Inside Your Heart

Videos