melissa errico fan
#0Riedel pans McGregor
Posted: 6/17/05 at 7:00am

NY Post link

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#1re: Riedel pans McGregor
Posted: 6/17/05 at 8:25am

He's not alone in his panning of Ewan. Most reviews noted that his singing voice was not strong, some were kind, some were very unkind to him. I did point this out when he was cast, that he couldn't sing, but nobody believed me.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

poodleboy Profile Photo
poodleboy
#2re: Riedel pans McGregor
Posted: 6/17/05 at 9:24am

Having seen this production, I totally agree with Mr. Riedel. There was no joy at all. The show belonged to Miss Jane (which is the best part in the show). Whenever she was on stage, your focus would always gravitate towards her (even next to McGregor).
Most of the singing in the show was not up to Broadway standards.
"Sit Down Your Rocking the Boat" was staged great, one of the best dance numbers I have ever seen, but the man who sang it was weak.
I went to London to see this show, I am just thankful for seeing "Billy Elliot" and very disappointed with "Guys and Dolls".

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#3re: Riedel pans McGregor
Posted: 6/17/05 at 9:30am

Well...Rob Ashford is a great coreographer - theres no wonder the dance is one of the best parts of the show...wish he would do more here in NY.

midtowngym Profile Photo
midtowngym
#4re: Riedel pans McGregor
Posted: 6/17/05 at 9:36am

"Sit Down Your Rockin' the Boat" was brillantly choreographed. Jane Krakowski is a true theater star--she always lights up the stage.
As i've already stated-Ewan McGregor is charismatic but has a tiny...voice.

'The Devil be hitting me!'--Whitney Houston
Updated On: 6/17/05 at 09:36 AM

Timmerbo Profile Photo
Timmerbo
#5re: Riedel pans McGregor
Posted: 6/17/05 at 9:49am

Do any of Ewan's vocal problems stem from the fact that he's playing a role too low for his voice? He sounded like a tenor in Moulin Rouge, and Sky is not a role to show off high notes... he spends quite a bit of the music around Low C.

popcultureboy
#6re: Riedel pans McGregor
Posted: 6/17/05 at 9:59am

No, they stem from the fact that he can't sing.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#7re: Riedel pans McGregor
Posted: 6/17/05 at 10:08am

You know , they can make you sound all fine and dandy in the movie musicals. But when it comes time for the real theater, things are much different, he can't have his voice studio enhanced when he is on stage singing.

Timmerbo Profile Photo
Timmerbo
#8re: Riedel pans McGregor
Posted: 6/17/05 at 10:08am

Yikes, that's not good.

popcultureboy
#9re: Riedel pans McGregor
Posted: 6/17/05 at 10:13am

And far be it for me to point out that even when he's enhanced, he still sounds appalling.

Jwaa
#10re: Riedel pans McGregor
Posted: 6/17/05 at 10:14am

Ahh last year there was nearly NOTHING up to broadway standards in the U.K, i saw billy elliot and disliked it, But The Producers and Tick...Tick..Boom have made me happy....and after seeng the GSA graduting show taht my mate was in, I am hopeful for teh future of the westends performance.:)
XX

popcultureboy
#11re: Riedel pans McGregor
Posted: 6/17/05 at 10:17am

Not wishing to threadjack, but Jwaa, you're the only dissenting voice for Billy Elliott, on here or anywhere else.

Now, back to the McGregor dissing...........

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#12re: Riedel pans McGregor
Posted: 6/17/05 at 10:29am

I think the more intriguing part of this article is the notion that Broadway may yet again have a Tommy Tune production. I find that exhilarating.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#13re: Riedel pans McGregor
Posted: 6/17/05 at 10:42am

Oh, for the golden tones of Marlon Brando!

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

ess2484 Profile Photo
ess2484
#14re: Riedel pans McGregor
Posted: 6/17/05 at 10:49am

I really liked the show when I saw it. It did happen to be the first production of the show that I saw. I was thoroughly entertained. It served its purpose for me. I disagree about the guy who sang "Sit Down Your Rockin The Boat". Maybe you caught him on a bad night. I do admit that Ewan's voice wasn't the best in the show but his acting was just fine.

JenD512
#15re: Riedel pans McGregor
Posted: 6/17/05 at 11:28am

But he's a Jedi!

::commands Order 66 on Michael Reidel::

Sorry. Geek moment. Had to be done. re: Riedel pans McGregor

Videos