pixeltracker

If Peter Pan is a guy, why do women play him?- Page 2

If Peter Pan is a guy, why do women play him?

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#25re: If Peter Pan is a guy, why do women play him?
Posted: 6/18/05 at 4:26pm

Wasn't MJ supposed to play him? God help us!!

That still isn't a guy playing Peter.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#26re: If Peter Pan is a guy, why do women play him?
Posted: 6/18/05 at 4:28pm

Thats a guy playing with some boy's peter

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
theatreboi11
#28re: If Peter Pan is a guy, why do women play him?
Posted: 6/18/05 at 4:45pm

""Oh, I know lots of fairies. But most of them are dead now"

Sounds like something Harvey Fierstein would say during the "Looking back" section of the Tony's. "

Wow, really uncalled for!

(Martha Graham from a letter to Agnes de Mille) "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening That is translated through you into action, And because there is only one of you in all time, This expression is unique. If you block it, It will never exist through any other medium And be lost. The world will never have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, Nor how valuable it is, Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly, To keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware Directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, A blessed unrest that keeps us marching And makes us more alive than others."

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#29re: If Peter Pan is a guy, why do women play him?
Posted: 6/18/05 at 5:16pm

But still sorta funny!

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
Jon
#31re: If Peter Pan is a guy, why do women play him?
Posted: 6/18/05 at 7:18pm

Anyone with the least interest in the subject should watch the movie FINDING NEVERLAND.

Jimmyojimmy Profile Photo
Jimmyojimmy
#32re: If Peter Pan is a guy, why do women play him?
Posted: 6/18/05 at 7:25pm

Finding Neverland was such agreat movie. I love Johnny depp and Kate Winslet, and that little boy who played Peter was amazing for a little kid. I also think peter's played by a girl because (or at least originally) there aren't too many guys who can sing falsetto while on a harness hoisted in the air, and Plus men have too deep of voices, and Peter is suppose to have a boy-like voice (before puberty). If some tenor or baritone played peter everyone would be like "why is that man (michael Jackson) hanging out with all those little boys?"
Updated On: 6/18/05 at 07:25 PM

QHDramaQueen
#33re: If Peter Pan is a guy, why do women play him?
Posted: 6/18/05 at 8:38pm

oh man more flying talk... now some teenage girl is gonna suggest Idina play peter...

MLE Profile Photo
MLE
#34re: If Peter Pan is a guy, why do women play him?
Posted: 6/18/05 at 8:52pm

Well, that WAS going to be my suggestion....*

*just kidding, I swear re: If Peter Pan is a guy, why do women play him?

Jon
#35re: If Peter Pan is a guy, why do women play him?
Posted: 6/18/05 at 11:09pm

Idina's too damn sexy to play a boy.

MargoChanning
#36re: If Peter Pan is a guy, why do women play him?
Posted: 6/18/05 at 11:13pm

Why is it that the second I read the thread title, I thought of CapnHook? Is there ANYONE on the planet who knows more about the show than him?

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#37re: If Peter Pan is a guy, why do women play him?
Posted: 6/18/05 at 11:22pm

Dreamgirls.

Touche. re: If Peter Pan is a guy, why do women play him?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#38re: If Peter Pan is a guy, why do women play him?
Posted: 6/18/05 at 11:26pm

"Isn't Peter prepubescent? Easier to have a woman in the role than to hire a boy and worry about when his voice will change."

How come they didn't use a girl's voice in the Disney version of Peter Pan? (Who not only looks exactly like the cartoon, but had a drug addiction till the day he died...see what happens to the Disney clan. They're all good at first, then they turn bad...Lindsey Lohan, anyone?)

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#39re: If Peter Pan is a guy, why do women play him?
Posted: 6/18/05 at 11:31pm

Lohan has always been a stuck up brat. I was in WDW and she was there in the middle of the street doing a promotional commercial for the theme park. THE PARENT TRAP had come out a few months prior.

She walked by me, and I stopped and turned around to look at her because she looked familar. She turned back to look at me and squinted her face and gave me that "who you looking at?" face.

Then I watched them film the commercial. She kept stopping them and they had to do many retakes and I didn't hear what she was saying but she was whining and even stomped her foot with clenched fists yelling at the director. Bitch.

What happened to Bobby Driscoll was a shame. And SONG OF THE SOUTH *still* isn't on DVD!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

FearTheWoolf Profile Photo
FearTheWoolf
#40re: If Peter Pan is a guy, why do women play him?
Posted: 6/18/05 at 11:32pm

The people at Disney only need the boy who voiced Peter to work for a few weeks at most. Not really a big enough time window for his voice to change.

But, on stage, where the boy would be doing the role for a year or so, it is much more probable that his voice will change in that time frame depending on his age.

Jimmyojimmy Profile Photo
Jimmyojimmy
#41re: If Peter Pan is a guy, why do women play him?
Posted: 6/18/05 at 11:35pm

I hate lindsay, she needs to stop doing so much coke. she was pretty but now hes scary looking. And also hilary duff looks like shes on something, she lost a lot of weight.

FearTheWoolf
#42re: If Peter Pan is a guy, why do women play him?
Posted: 6/18/05 at 11:36pm

Well, ****. Then I dunno.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#43re: If Peter Pan is a guy, why do women play him?
Posted: 6/18/05 at 11:43pm

I own SONG OF THE SOUTH on VHS - copied from a PAL VHS in the UK.

And yes - it WILL get a US release. Disney re-screened the film with Maya Angeleo (sp?) in 2001. She stated that if Disney attempted to release the film she would personally lead the protests against it. She claims it is horribly offensive.

I have seen the film and this is simply not true.

James Earl Jones supports the film. Several African American celebrities do. Disney has been lining up supporters and is waiting for the opportune time to announce the DVD release. These "African American celebrities" have said they would do interviews for the DVD's bonus features. One of these bonus features is an introduction preceding the film explaining Disney's view in the controversy.

--Aristotle

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#44re: If Peter Pan is a guy, why do women play him?
Posted: 6/18/05 at 11:46pm

Well, this is new. Then again, i only read about it about two yeras ago, so things have changed...However..a re-screening? Does that mean that they are re-editing the film?

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#45re: If Peter Pan is a guy, why do women play him?
Posted: 6/18/05 at 11:49pm

No, Maya saw the film in the 80's or 90's and was against it then. Disney had her see the film again and her opinion has not changed.

Disney plans to release it in 2006, the 60th Anniversary of the film. That is - if they have the balls. It's still on the fence with their plans. The Disney Company has gone through hell.

--Aristotle

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#46re: If Peter Pan is a guy, why do women play him?
Posted: 6/18/05 at 11:51pm

Well, now that Eisner has been forced to resign, Disney's throwing their own party, and we will no longer see stupid sequels, but hopefully more of the "Banned" cartoons from the 40's.

Oh, wait! I just realized Tarzan's coming out with a Prequel. Does this mean, no more Sequel's and now Pequel's to every cartoon?

Updated On: 6/18/05 at 11:51 PM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#47re: If Peter Pan is a guy, why do women play him?
Posted: 6/18/05 at 11:56pm

HAH!!! WRONG-O!

More Disney sequels have been planned than ever before. BIG BUCKS are made with the direct-to-video sequels, and they cost little to produce.

Know what's coming?

OLVER & COMPANY II
MULAN III
CINDERELLA III
THE LITTLE MERMAID III
BROTHER BEAR II
THE ARISTOCATS II
THE FOX AND THE HOUND II
KRONK'S NEW GROOVE
THE TINKER BELL MOVIE
LILO & STITCH II

and who knows what else. But everything in the above list will be out by 2007. Sad but true.

--Aristotle

FearTheWoolf
#48re: If Peter Pan is a guy, why do women play him?
Posted: 6/18/05 at 11:58pm

Kronk's New Groove?!?!????

Yes!!
I LOVE The Emperor's New Groove!!

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#49re: If Peter Pan is a guy, why do women play him?
Posted: 6/18/05 at 11:58pm

ARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

(But I think I'm excited for the TinkerBell movie, although I love how, in the book, she's more of a bitch.)