RENT Lyric Question

ElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
#0RENT Lyric Question
Posted: 7/17/05 at 12:28am

Okay, this has been bugging me for a while.

WHY does Roger (at the beginning of Light My Candle) say "What'd you forget?" to Mimi??? He's never met her before, so why would she have forgotten something at his place? It makes no sense to me.

Thanks to anyone who provides insight on this subject. RENT Lyric Question

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.

neomystyk29 Profile Photo
neomystyk29
#1re: RENT Lyric Question
Posted: 7/17/05 at 12:30am

Same Elphie :-/

apdarcey
#2re: RENT Lyric Question
Posted: 7/17/05 at 12:30am

he thinks mark and collins have come back for something, hence: "what'd you forget?"

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#3re: RENT Lyric Question
Posted: 7/17/05 at 12:31am

He thinks Mark is coming back, since he just left. He should say it before he "opens the door."

oops, darcey beat me!

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 7/17/05 at 12:31 AM

ElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
#4re: RENT Lyric Question
Posted: 7/17/05 at 12:43am

Oh, WOW. That makes TOTAL sense, but I never would have figured that out on my own. Thanks guys! Now I can rest easy. re: RENT Lyric Question

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.

apdarcey
#5re: RENT Lyric Question
Posted: 7/17/05 at 12:47am

what else would em and i be here for deary?

RentBoy86
#6re: RENT Lyric Question
Posted: 7/17/05 at 2:28am

i've only seen rent on stage once, but does the staging reflect that? i dont remember.

lastnightoftheworld
#7re: RENT Lyric Question
Posted: 7/17/05 at 2:32am

*reiterates what has been said before*

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#8re: RENT Lyric Question
Posted: 7/17/05 at 2:33am

Yeah..the whole...Mark thing...

This is my signature.

apdarcey
#9re: RENT Lyric Question
Posted: 7/17/05 at 2:41am

the staging? roger is alone playing the guitar when mark leaves... he sings one song glory... someone knocks and comes back inside... without looking up he just assumes it's mark (or maybe collins because he's knocking...) and says "what'd you forget?" then he hears the female voice and is taken aback! ta da!

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#10re: RENT Lyric Question
Posted: 7/17/05 at 2:42am

there isn't an actual door to open, so no. the staging doesn't have him saying it before he opens the door. there is no door...

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#11re: RENT Lyric Question
Posted: 7/17/05 at 2:47am

If I pay 100 dollars, I want a door.

What's RENT about?

apdarcey
#12re: RENT Lyric Question
Posted: 7/17/05 at 2:49am

who said there was a door? i just said knocking!

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#13re: RENT Lyric Question
Posted: 7/17/05 at 2:50am

The door is the Christmas Tree, as I understand it.

apdarcey
#14re: RENT Lyric Question
Posted: 7/17/05 at 2:52am

now it all makes sense... remind me why she moos but where's a cat suit? shouldn't she meow?

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#15re: RENT Lyric Question
Posted: 7/17/05 at 2:58am

The way I see it is the cat plays the fiddle. Fiddler on the Roof is about Jews...and Idina is a Jew....hence the cat suit.

RentBoy86
#16re: RENT Lyric Question
Posted: 7/17/05 at 2:59am

i love REnt

Jon
#17re: RENT Lyric Question
Posted: 7/17/05 at 9:08am

"If I pay $100, I want a door."

You get your door in the second act. Actually, it's a folding table stood up on end, but it does a nice job portraying a door. That table deserved a Tony nomination for playing so many roles in RENT.

kas Profile Photo
kas
#18re: RENT Lyric Question
Posted: 7/17/05 at 10:27am

i got another lyric question: what does roger say during christmas bells when he introduces mimi to mark: she says "that's what he said" and what does roger say?

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#19re: RENT Lyric Question
Posted: 7/17/05 at 1:22pm

I think Roger says "Mark, this is Mimi she'll be dining with us." Then Mark goes "I think we've met" and Mimi says "That's what he said." Or that's what the RENT bible says.

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

MissMonika Profile Photo
MissMonika
#20re: RENT Lyric Question
Posted: 7/17/05 at 1:34pm

lol. whenever in doubt, look to the Rent bible.

Yes, I'm pinay. And I'm proud of it!

apdarcey
#21re: RENT Lyric Question
Posted: 7/17/05 at 1:35pm

mark says "i think we've met" giving more reference to the boys seeing her at the cat scratch club.

kas Profile Photo
kas
#22re: RENT Lyric Question
Posted: 7/18/05 at 8:53am

right, but after all of that dialogue, roger says something. i can't figure out what it is. it starts like "i said it..."

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#23re: RENT Lyric Question
Posted: 7/18/05 at 9:05am

Right - Mark says "I think we've met," and if you listen carefully on the CD, you'll hear Adam sing really high, "let's not hold hands yet..." and I think there's a quick "I should tell you." There's so much going on that it's hard to pick out the individual stuff, but it's all in the CD pamphlet, if you have the double-disk. It's often harder to pick up live, but on the CD you should be able to find it, because you can pick Adam's voice out so easily.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 7/18/05 at 09:05 AM

Wax Lion Profile Photo
Wax Lion
#24re: RENT Lyric Question
Posted: 7/18/05 at 9:17am

Wax Lion is intrigued by this thread. There are references in the show that are left unexplained...and he's very surprised that they haven't been brought up. Wax Lion would like to try to stump even the staunchest of RENT fans. Here's your RENT LYRIC TRIVIA question for Monday:

The line,"...No, you cut the paper plate!", sung by Joanne Jefferson during WE'RE OKAY, is in reference to what? What do you *THINK* she's talking about?

Wax Lion will reveal the answer only if someone on the board doesn't know.

Love,
Wax Lion

Videos