Broadway in Bryant Park

milton Profile Photo
milton
#0Broadway in Bryant Park
Posted: 7/25/05 at 2:00pm

I'll be in NYC this week and was wondering if at the performances of Broadway in Bryant Park- since it's outdoors and whatnot- if you can bring a still camera and/or video camera. I just want to be prepared. It should be pretty good this week. The shows that are performing are Wicked, Chicago, Spelling Bee, and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Also, are there any other tips for going to this- like how early should I get there, do I need to bring anyhthing? etc..

MTRBOI24
#1re: Broadway in Bryant Park
Posted: 7/25/05 at 2:03pm

I went by myself for the first time. Bring a hat and sunscreen and even an umbrella to block the sun. (It's all open area). I got there right at 12:30 and was on the side pretty close. I believe you are allowed to bring camera's and video camera's. There was no announcement and I did see non-professional people taking photographs (Not that that means its right). Bring a lunch too. You should probly get there early if you want a seat (they have chairs all around). Not sure what time though. Hope this helps!

musicalsFan
#2re: Broadway in Bryant Park
Posted: 7/25/05 at 2:09pm

hat and sunblock are a MUST

there were some people with umbrellas
but they tend to annoy people behind you because they block
the view

mirramar
#3re: Broadway in Bryant Park
Posted: 7/25/05 at 2:17pm

Definitely get there somewhat early, last year when they showcased Wicked, it was PACKED.
And yes, take as many pictures as you want, it's not restricted.

#4re: Broadway in Bryant Park
Posted: 7/25/05 at 2:19pm

i've gone to the performances in bryant park for the past 2 weeks. they pretty much start at 12:30 exactly...you are allowed to bring cameras and whatnot - a lot of people do it. def get there early for a seat, but standing or sitting on the grass is not so bad at all...you can't really have a bad view of the stage. it's a nice experience in the park, but its really hot outside so be prepared and bring some h20. enjoy!
Updated On: 7/25/05 at 02:19 PM

LullabyofBroadway11 Profile Photo
LullabyofBroadway11
#5re: Broadway in Bryant Park
Posted: 7/25/05 at 2:37pm

I'd really love to go to this, but I've only gotten little bits of information. It's Thursdays right? Does it cost anything or do you just..go?

"Your word is cow" "May I have a definition please?" "It's....a cow." "Can you use that in a sentance?" "....please spell cow." -"The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee" ________________________________ Patsy: Sir....I'm a Jew... King Arthur: You are! Patsy: Yes, on my mothers side... King Arthur: Well, why didn't you tell me before! Patsy: Well..thats not the kind of thing you say to a heavily armed Christian.. -Spamalot

#6re: Broadway in Bryant Park
Posted: 7/25/05 at 2:39pm

yes, thursday...starts at 12:30...in bryant park...FREE!!
Updated On: 7/25/05 at 02:39 PM

Yankeefan007
#7re: Broadway in Bryant Park
Posted: 7/25/05 at 3:11pm

but you should get there around 11ish, just so you get a good spot.

MissNY
#8re: Broadway in Bryant Park
Posted: 7/25/05 at 3:16pm

Does anyone know if the shows have been performing in the order listed on the Bryant Park website? http://www.bryantpark.org/calendar/broadway.php

#9re: Broadway in Bryant Park
Posted: 7/25/05 at 5:19pm

Yes... I believe they have

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#10re: Broadway in Bryant Park
Posted: 7/25/05 at 5:24pm

It's not something that gets really, really busy like Bway Under the Stars, so even if you get there at 12, you will probably be fine. You might not get a seat up close, but if you bring a blanket you can sit close to the stage.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#11re: Broadway in Bryant Park
Posted: 7/25/05 at 6:04pm

Yes, they have been performing in that order.
Bring hat, sunscreen, camera since you are allowed to take as many pictures as you like, water 'cause it's supposed to be really hot, and lunch.
I usually get there around 11:00 or so, sometimes even a little before that.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Myron
#12re: Broadway in Bryant Park
Posted: 7/26/05 at 12:33pm

The show is free and you can take photos/videos. It's a great experience although the understudies are usually the ones to perform.The only bad part is that some people are inconsiderate. They'll chat through the performances, talk on cellphones, bring screaming infants, and those people with umbrellas just block the views of all those behind them.

dancingthrulife04
#13re: Broadway in Bryant Park
Posted: 7/26/05 at 1:34pm

Yeah, the people with umbrellas are really annoying. Other than that, it's a lot of fun.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

MTRBOI24
#14re: Broadway in Bryant Park
Posted: 7/26/05 at 2:17pm

Ok, so uuuuuh, dont bring an umbrella as I suggested, lol

dancingthrulife04
#15re: Broadway in Bryant Park
Posted: 7/26/05 at 3:18pm

Oops. Haha. No offense, MTR.

Videos