ReederWI Profile Photo
ReederWI
#0Tips on Memorizing a lot of Dialogue in a Play
Posted: 7/26/05 at 7:41am

I was wondering if any of you have any tips on the best ways to remember a lot of dialogue/lines in a play. What things work best for you?

TabooPhan1 Profile Photo
TabooPhan1
#1re: Tips on Memorizing a lot of Dialogue in a Play
Posted: 7/26/05 at 8:03am

What's really worked for me, is kind of breaking the play up into sections. After that, once you start learning the blocking this will also help it just fall into place in your head. Really just be aware of what's going on around you while you're on stage and think of it as a natural dialogue. Where would the conversation go next? This technique doesn't always help, but it usually works for me. Once you're comfortable with the character and a little less intimidated by everything, things will just fall into place.

I hold a degree in Musical Theatre from Montclair State University. It is useless. Now I'm funny for money. Oh, and I sing.

QueenS
#2re: Tips on Memorizing a lot of Dialogue in a Play
Posted: 7/26/05 at 8:56am

As soon as I can get my hands on a copy of the script (before rehearsals start, preferably) I start just reading the play over and over again. The first 15-20 times, I'll read the whole thing (all scenes), after that, I'll pretty much just read my scenes, about another 30-50 times or so.

By the time you start "memorizing" the lines, you will discover that you know most of them. By reading it so many times, subconsiously, you are getting the character's rhythms and way of speaking into your head. Then when it comes time to speak, what feels like the most natural thing is probably the right one.

This doesn't work as well for long speeches. In those cases I try to break down the story or arc of the monologue into smaller sections, then work first on knowing the story. The exact wording will take extra effort, but knowing what you're saying (as obvious as it sounds) will get you really far.

If you have a scene with a lot of people in it and everyone has a line here and there, the best thing is to memorize the entire scene--know everyone's line (or at least the gist of it). Without that, the scene will probably never flow--too many people waiting around to hear their cues and know real listening going on.

Also, make sure you say your lines out loud when you're working on them (getting the word for word details). It's a different "muscle" thinking them than saying them.

It also really helps me to run them out loud with my scene partner over and over. In the first stages of rehearsal, just sitting on a couch reading them from the book. As you get more comfortable, stop using the book. By the time you get on your feet with the blocking, so much of it will be second nature.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#4re: Tips on Memorizing a lot of Dialogue in a Play
Posted: 7/26/05 at 10:40am

The way I work, is that i dont immediately try to memorize the lines, i want them to grow on me. Like during rehearsals they stick in ym mind so thats how i operate.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#5re: Tips on Memorizing a lot of Dialogue in a Play
Posted: 7/26/05 at 10:46am

WickedGeek, I'm in the same boat as you are. I'm a quick learner, but I have to learn with other people..and I'd rather it be my cast rather than my friend just reading the lines for me. But I go with QueenS' method too. I'm a fairly quick reader anyway, so it doesn't take me long to get through a play.

This is my signature.

M J R Profile Photo
M J R
#6re: Tips on Memorizing a lot of Dialogue in a Play
Posted: 7/26/05 at 12:47pm

That doesn't work on the professional level - you're expected to come in knowing your lines already...

"High time we made a stand and shook up the views of the common man" - Tears for Fears

OtherDaryl Profile Photo
OtherDaryl
#7re: Tips on Memorizing a lot of Dialogue in a Play
Posted: 7/26/05 at 1:19pm

I find typing (or writing) out the script longhand gives me a good start with large roles. Also, if you are in your car a lot, recording the scenes first with, then without your lines, but with blank air where they should be, and switching over to the 2nd tapes when you can, helps. How many song lyrics have been memorized just listening to the car radio?

Also remember to learn the lines through intent - what do you want? Do not learn them solely by inflection.

"Love Life. Live." Michael Bennett

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#8re: Tips on Memorizing a lot of Dialogue in a Play
Posted: 7/26/05 at 1:25pm

I personally cannot really memorize lines unless I say them outloud and actually get them into the muscle memory of my tongue. This is especially important when doing plays that require fast, sharp dialogue with little time to think! I also sometimes find it helpful to write out my lines by hand on a seperate piece of paper, eliminating stage directions and the dialogue that isn't mine.

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#9re: Tips on Memorizing a lot of Dialogue in a Play
Posted: 7/26/05 at 1:26pm

Learn your lines out loud, in full voice. If you have blocking do the blocking. Make it a total sensory experience. If you mess up, start over from the beginning and keep doing it until you can do it ALL correctly.

Closing your eyes and repeating what you just read is worthless.

JakeB
#10re: Tips on Memorizing a lot of Dialogue in a Play
Posted: 7/26/05 at 1:28pm

You just have to devote a lot of time to learning lines. Lines don't learn themselves: that's the most important thing I would say. You have to sit down, read them, reread them, and just keep reading them over and over. As QueenS says, you will just find that you come to know them, even if you feel you're making little progress. My best tip is to read them about 10 times before you go to sleep, then a couple of times in the morning. You'll be surprised by how much you know.

Other methods; you can write out the script on a PC but take out your lines, see if you can get the gist of what you're supposed to say, then highlight a link word in the sentence before, eg:

A: Are you okay *TODAY*?
B: Yes, but *YESTERDAY* I was ill.

So you've linked the 'today' to 'yesterday'. Works for me on most things, but there are a lot of lines which have no relevance to the next.

And then gradually, you'll be able to write the line in accurately.

But yeah, basically, spend time learning. If you go into an amateur/high-school play being the first person to have learned their lines it'll not only get you remembered for another play, but you'll get such a rush from having got over the stress of not knowing them. Plus others will want to raise their game to compete against you.

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#11re: Tips on Memorizing a lot of Dialogue in a Play
Posted: 7/26/05 at 2:31pm

I totally agree with the suggestion of learning the blocking and the lines will just fall into place, and once you read the play through a few times you begin to think like the character, I always think to myself, "now logically thinking what would the character say that would best fit here" and out comes the appropriate line. Also I say the line out loud over and over again until its stuck in my head. Especially with monologues, i break monologues up into pieces and then memorize them at certain times.

sassypanz
#12re: Tips on Memorizing a lot of Dialogue in a Play
Posted: 7/26/05 at 2:45pm

Always go over your lines and stuff before you go to sleep cause it sticks to you mind that way.

Roxie_Hart
#13re: Tips on Memorizing a lot of Dialogue in a Play
Posted: 7/26/05 at 2:52pm

Something that always works for me:

Record yourself. In the way that if you watch a movie over and over again, you learn the dialogue, if you listen to yourself saying the dialogue over and over again, you learn it, too.

Ashley

Born2cthelightsofbway Profile Photo
Born2cthelightsofbway
#14re: Tips on Memorizing a lot of Dialogue in a Play
Posted: 7/26/05 at 3:44pm

I do 2 things that ALWAYS work for me.

1. Read your lines over and over and over again. Its old, but it works.

2. As someone else said, record yourself. Listen to it in the shower, while you sleep, whenever it really works.

Once I was offered a chance to be in a new play when someone dropped out, and I only had 6 days to learn the whole script, and it was the lead. I just used my tips and I found that it really worked. Good luck!!!

"You alone can make my song take flight, it's over now, the Music of the Night!!!!!"

kas Profile Photo
kas
#15re: Tips on Memorizing a lot of Dialogue in a Play
Posted: 7/26/05 at 4:00pm

i would tape record myself rehearsing (just me reading the lines aloud of the whole scene) and then use it in a walkman etc when i work out/walk anywhere. then, if you';re really motivated, say everyone else's lines in yoru scenes and leave a blank space for your own. i love to talk out loud to myself in the middle of the gym :)

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#16re: Tips on Memorizing a lot of Dialogue in a Play
Posted: 7/26/05 at 4:43pm

All good suggestions, I like to record the play without my lines.
I also make cards of the line/s just before mine, to cue me. That helps me get the jist of what's going on. You just have to find what method/s work best for you!

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

Videos