pixeltracker

"Doctor Dolittle" premiere tonight

"Doctor Dolittle" premiere tonight

TVBoy Profile Photo
TVBoy
#0"Doctor Dolittle" premiere tonight
Posted: 7/31/05 at 12:16am

OK... so I just got in from the "Dolittle" premiere. Have any of you ever walked out of a show, not really knowing how good you thought it was??

"I'm not a catcher! I'm a piano player!" -- Schroeder from "Peanuts" ----- http://www.facebook.com/p/Brandon_Bartlett/500719306

hellacoolmichael
#1re: 'Doctor Dolittle' premiere tonight
Posted: 7/31/05 at 12:17am

Welcome to the mediochre theater world.

TVBoy Profile Photo
TVBoy
#2re: 'Doctor Dolittle' premiere tonight
Posted: 7/31/05 at 12:33am

Well, if you will, allow me to rant before I touch on the positive... (I am not an actor. I don't have any training that would afford me the opportunity to actually critique a show. I speak only as an audience member.) :)

Have you ever been sitting, enjoying a performance, only to hear a voice from above say... "STOP!" Apparently, at the close of the second song, "something" went wrong and the director decided he wanted to STOP the performance, re-set, and begin again. I'm one who never minds dishing out the money to see a good show, but it was at this point I was thinking to myself, "I paid $100 for this??" Plus, this breaks the "realism" of the show. (I felt bad for all of the kids there tonight.) Honestly, after that -- and having to put up with screaming kids all around me -- I was so mad I honestly couldn't tell you very much about the first act.

The second act, in my opinion, was much stronger and a lot more upbeat. It demanded my attention, whereas the first act didn't. Yes, the costumes and "puppets" are nice (ala "Lion King, just not as good). The dog, monkey, and cow were nice, but there were a few I wondered if they didn't pick up at Wal-Mart on their way into town. The sets were nice, nothing spectacular.

Tom Hewitt was good, but I enjoyed Nancy Anderson more. Tony Yazbeck steals the scene away from the leads most of the time. (He was the one I heard most people commenting on on my walk out.)

I enjoyed the show, and would recommend seeing it if you get a chance. There are, however, plenty more I would suggest first.

"I'm not a catcher! I'm a piano player!" -- Schroeder from "Peanuts" ----- http://www.facebook.com/p/Brandon_Bartlett/500719306

Kevo711 Profile Photo
Kevo711
#3re: 'Doctor Dolittle' premiere tonight
Posted: 7/31/05 at 12:46am

where did this premiere take place?

gavrochegirl
#4re: 'Doctor Dolittle' premiere tonight
Posted: 7/31/05 at 12:49am

Pittsburgh, I believe.

What the puck?!

MatthewAddison Profile Photo
MatthewAddison
#5re: 'Doctor Dolittle' premiere tonight
Posted: 7/31/05 at 3:06am

re: 'Doctor Dolittle' premiere tonight

It was in Owensboro. Close to Pittsburgh, but no cigar.

And...I notice you mention the cows...but you didn't mention any horses. Now, it is in my opinion that any musical just isn't the same without a good horse. Did you find a horse on stage? If so, how was his/her performance? Did you find the horse emotionally available to the audience? Did Wal-Mart sponsor the show?

THANKS for your review, by the way. Since no one else seemed to thank you.

And, again. I post the robotic farm animals. Just for my amusement.

TVBoy Profile Photo
TVBoy
#6re: 'Doctor Dolittle' premiere tonight
Posted: 7/31/05 at 3:12am

Matthew -- thank you, cause as you can tell, I took a lot of time to write that review. re: 'Doctor Dolittle' premiere tonight (I will leave that to those with a critical eye, when it moves to Pittsburgh next week.)

There was a horse actually, and a pig. The horse stayed in the background most of the time. The pig has a larger role.

Wal-Mart did not sponsor the show. Actually, the local government did. :)

Thanks again for the cartoon animals. Can you make a cartoon director, yelling STOP!, to place in the middle? re: 'Doctor Dolittle' premiere tonight

Updated On: 7/31/05 at 03:12 AM

defygravity2 Profile Photo
defygravity2
#7re: 'Doctor Dolittle' premiere tonight
Posted: 7/31/05 at 3:17am

I got to see a "stop" in the LA Wicked last week....boy did it break the magic of the production!

I'll be anxious to hear how Dr. Dolittle does before it makes it to NY.

MatthewAddison
#8re: 'Doctor Dolittle' premiere tonight
Posted: 7/31/05 at 3:20am

Can you make a cartoon director, yelling STOP!, to place in the middle?

No. I don't have THAT much time on my hands.

Esp. with upgrades to suites and hot tubs. I rest my case.

The pig had a larger role? I guess you could say he was a STAGE HOG. Ba-dump-bump-bump. Thank you, sir. May I have another?

TVBoy Profile Photo
TVBoy
#9re: 'Doctor Dolittle' premiere tonight
Posted: 7/31/05 at 3:23am

Um, remember, we don't tell everyone about the hot tub! hehe :)

Nice attempt at humor, by the way. :)

Updated On: 7/31/05 at 03:23 AM

BwayTheatre11
#10re: 'Doctor Dolittle' premiere tonight
Posted: 7/31/05 at 3:24am

But Joe Mantello did not yell "STOP" in the middle of WICKED. That was a technical malfunction. I would have been very embarrassed if I were a cast member.

Jenna Coker plays the big...she is great...how was she?

http://www.jennacoker.com

CCM '10!
Updated On: 7/31/05 at 03:24 AM

TVBoy Profile Photo
TVBoy
#11re: 'Doctor Dolittle' premiere tonight
Posted: 7/31/05 at 3:25am

defygravity... Is this "Stop/Hold" thing common? Did you pay for your ticket?

"42nd Street" was built and premiered here last summer. I saw several of its dress rehearsals where the director said "Hold." The difference was, I watched for free.

defygravity2 Profile Photo
defygravity2
#12re: 'Doctor Dolittle' premiere tonight
Posted: 7/31/05 at 3:28am

I paid big bucks for my ticket! I have been to at least 50 shows and have NEVER seen a 'stop' before. I am not an actor, so I have no idea how common they are. The stop I saw was due to a prop malfuntion.

TVBoy Profile Photo
TVBoy
#13re: 'Doctor Dolittle' premiere tonight
Posted: 7/31/05 at 3:35am

Interesting. Bway, I know you would know. Is this common?

I saw 6 of the "42nd Street" dress rehearsals for free. I expected the director to stop the show. Tonight's "Dolittle" performance was the "premiere." RiverPark was packed with a paying audience. I don't understand having to stop a show. It looks like the kinks should have been worked out. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Updated On: 7/31/05 at 03:35 AM

MatthewAddison
#14re: 'Doctor Dolittle' premiere tonight
Posted: 7/31/05 at 3:36am

1. They're not that common. Sorry if it ruins the magic, but safety is important...

2. Sorry, Brandon, if my humor is above your head. I will try to "dumb it down" for ya. I'll give you a little Owensboro flavor. How about that? Would you like that, country boy? :) Updated On: 7/31/05 at 03:36 AM

BwayTheatre11
#15re: 'Doctor Dolittle' premiere tonight
Posted: 7/31/05 at 3:38am

He did not say a technical problem...was it?

Not sure, but I would say not very common in front of a paying audience...the director might have consider this show more of dress rehearsal, which is really whate it was...the tour opens in Pittsburgh...but even during a dress rehearsal, I find this very unprofessional. Notes are nice AFTER the performance.

Sorry, you might have missed this, but how was Jenna?

CCM '10!
Updated On: 7/31/05 at 03:38 AM

TVBoy Profile Photo
TVBoy
#16re: 'Doctor Dolittle' premiere tonight
Posted: 7/31/05 at 3:41am

thanks again, Matthew. I don't think it was a safety issue though :)

Being home in Owensboro, I get enough of the southern flavor. :)

jam_man
#17re: 'Doctor Dolittle' premiere tonight
Posted: 7/31/05 at 3:42am

Why, exactly, did he stop it - was one or more of the performers that bad, was he chewing him/her out (a la, a football choach)? I wouldn't know quite HOW common that is in front of a paying audience, but I would venture an educated guess of QUITE INFREQUENTLY!!!

"Who is Stephen Sondheim?" -roninjoey
"The man who wishes he had written Phantom of the Opera!" - SueleenGay

GO CARDINALS!!!

TVBoy Profile Photo
TVBoy
#18re: 'Doctor Dolittle' premiere tonight
Posted: 7/31/05 at 3:43am

thanks, bway. You're always my go-to person when I need answers :)

BwayTheatre11
#19re: 'Doctor Dolittle' premiere tonight
Posted: 7/31/05 at 3:44am

I really didn't answer anything and you have never come to me for anything...but thanks! re: 'Doctor Dolittle' premiere tonight

I am going to you for an answer now...how was Jenna? re: 'Doctor Dolittle' premiere tonight

CCM '10!

MatthewAddison
#20re: 'Doctor Dolittle' premiere tonight
Posted: 7/31/05 at 3:45am

Don't fall for his charm, Bway. He's using you to get back at me. Just smile and nod politely.

And it WAS a safety issue, you knot-heads.

If the director is pissed, he gets mad and goes home to his boy-toy. His boy-toy takes the beating of his life and must check into the Owensboro Appalachian Emergency Room to find out he has internal bleeding. See. So, it WAS an issue of safety.

And I didn't necessarily say it was ALWAYS a technical problem. But safety is important- and usually a stop is called due to safety.

And what do you know anyway, Brandon? You're a knot-head. :) Updated On: 7/31/05 at 03:45 AM

TVBoy Profile Photo
TVBoy
#21re: 'Doctor Dolittle' premiere tonight
Posted: 7/31/05 at 3:46am

jamman... honestly, I don't know exactly what went wrong. After the song, the director said, "STOP!" He then told the cast to re-set and told the audience, we'll begin again in about 45 seconds. The cast came back out on stage -- out of character, giving the audience a thumbs up (poor kids!) -- and they redid the conclusion of the song. I didn't notice a difference.

Bway, that's not true... you actually gave me helpful information before on something. I'm sorry, after 4 apple martinis after the show, I can't remember the topic -- but I do remember you were helpful. re: 'Doctor Dolittle' premiere tonight

Updated On: 7/31/05 at 03:46 AM

BwayTheatre11
#22re: 'Doctor Dolittle' premiere tonight
Posted: 7/31/05 at 3:47am

"And I didn't necessarily say it was ALWAYS a technical problem. But safety is important- and usually a stop is called due to safety."

Safety of not doing a scene correct? LOL.

CCM '10!
Updated On: 7/31/05 at 03:47 AM

MatthewAddison
#23re: 'Doctor Dolittle' premiere tonight
Posted: 7/31/05 at 3:51am

Yes. Fine. Yes. Safety of not doing a scene correct.

The end.

Knot-head.

ConductorMan
#24re: 'Doctor Dolittle' premiere tonight
Posted: 7/31/05 at 11:06am

Sometimes things of a technical nature happen that forces a show to stop. Lots of things now in the technical part of theatre are electrical or computer generated. When these things fail, you have no recourse but to stop. The first preview of the original production of CHICAGO in 1975 as Chita Rivera was making her entrance on a hydraulic elevator during the intro to ALL THAT JAZZ, the elevator malfunctioned, and the show came to a halt. Bob Fosse came out onstage and told the audience that the show could not go on and everyone got refunds at the box office. It took 24 hours to fix the problem. Things happen sometimes that are beyond anyone's control. Nobody looks forward to these things happening, but when they do you have no choice but to deal with it.

Videos