Casting for the Little Mermad

Born2cthelightsofbway Profile Photo
Born2cthelightsofbway
#0Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/22/05 at 8:35pm

Are there any rumors, espesially who they want for Ariel? Are they looking for a name, or an unknown? I can't wait for this show and I am really curious to see the casting.

"You alone can make my song take flight, it's over now, the Music of the Night!!!!!"

JoMarch Profile Photo
JoMarch
#1re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/22/05 at 8:40pm

I'm not sure about Ariel, but I really hope Emily Skinner gets a chance to play Ursula in a full-fledged production.

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#2re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/22/05 at 8:46pm

I'm still gung-ho for Sara Ramirez as Ursula.

Akiva

iluvtheatertrash
#4re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/22/05 at 8:53pm

Akiva, NO ONE will cast her again. That woman's career is over after the awful stunt she pulled with missing performances in SPAMALOT. She's a total disgrace.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Born2cthelightsofbway Profile Photo
Born2cthelightsofbway
#5re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/22/05 at 8:58pm

All of those that came up in the search were kind of old so I wanted to start a new one. And iluvtheatertrash- I agree with you Miss Ramirez is a total disgrace, she should be ashamed. I personally hope she never works again.

"You alone can make my song take flight, it's over now, the Music of the Night!!!!!"

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#6re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/22/05 at 8:58pm

Hah, well they could alternate her with emily...seeing as Sara shows up for about half her shows.

Akiva

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#7re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/22/05 at 9:05pm

But Emily deserves better than that.

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#8re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/22/05 at 9:11pm

Akiva, NO ONE will cast her again. That woman's career is over after the awful stunt she pulled with missing performances in SPAMALOT. She's a total disgrace.

I couldn't disagree more. Her career is anything but over and her reasons for missing performances are more than valid despite what "rumors" might be floating around. Yes - she's missed performances. It's unfortunate. As for being a "disgrace"? That's just ludicrous. Save that type of extremist verbage for someone or something truly disgraceful. Missing performances because of illness isn't one of them.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#9re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/22/05 at 9:22pm

Kerry Butler for Ariel. Period. =)

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#10re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/22/05 at 9:22pm

I agree, Craig. I don't know why people are making her absences this enormous issue. It's something that shouldn't be overlooked, but not something that should be taken so seriously that people start to call her a disgrace to the stage. Anything but!

This is my signature.

almostxfamous Profile Photo
almostxfamous
#11re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/22/05 at 9:23pm

Well, I remember hearing Celia Keenan-Bolger at one point and .. Kerry Butler? Maybe?

And then there's Cheyenne(Prince Eric) and Tyler Maynard(one of the eels .. their names escape me).

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#12re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/22/05 at 9:24pm

Kerry Butler for Ariel's Grandmother.

Up In Lost
#13re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/22/05 at 9:27pm

Gosh, what's the line I'm looking for?

Ah..

I am a beacon of positivity.

Well, I'm glad he got away with it.

Michael Bennett
#14re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/22/05 at 9:30pm

Hey, I'm positive. I hope Ariel is cast with an unbelivably talented 19 year old, who is age appropriate for the role! Butler's fab, but sorry, she's pushing 40.

Up In Lost
#15re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/22/05 at 9:31pm

No one dies tonight.

Gosh, I'm refering to a song I've heard once. =/

Well, I'm glad he got away with it.
Updated On: 8/22/05 at 09:31 PM

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#16re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/22/05 at 9:41pm

MichaelBennett

If she's pushing 40, I'm a vermicious kinid :)

I'm sure whoever is cast as Ariel will be just fine.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

Michael Bennett
#17re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/22/05 at 9:55pm

Craig, baby, she graduated from Ithaca college in '92 and has said she didn't do it all in one stint...You do the math re: Casting for the Little Mermad

bwaybaby891
#18re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/22/05 at 10:17pm

While we're on the subject of missing performances, the name Donna Murphy comes to mind. I don't know why people are bashing on Sara Ramirez when Ms.Murphy used her understudy quite a bit.

I hope they cast a good voice for Ariel that is not too Disneyified and use someone who looks the right age for the part.

"He who falls in love with himself will have no rivals" -Benjamin Franklin

bwaybaby891
#19re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/22/05 at 10:20pm

While we're on the subject of missing performances, the name Donna Murphy comes to mind. I don't know why people are bashing on Sara Ramirez when Ms.Murphy used her understudy quite a bit.

I hope they cast a good voice for Ariel that is not too Disneyified and use someone who looks the right age for the part. Kerry Butler is about 35. SHe could still do the part. I mean Kristen Chenoweth is almost 40 and is still playing those parts.

"He who falls in love with himself will have no rivals" -Benjamin Franklin

Conor Profile Photo
Conor
#20re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/22/05 at 10:20pm

I'm so psyched for The Little Mermaid. I like Cheyenne for Eric, and what about someone like Kelli O'Hara for Ariel, in an ideal world? I thnk she's be perfect.

colleen_lee
#21re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/22/05 at 10:49pm

I would really like to see a new, undiscovered talent as Ariel.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

overthemoon419 Profile Photo
overthemoon419
#22re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/22/05 at 11:07pm

Jenn Gambatese for Ariel!!!

"It's not for sissies, contrary to popular belief." - Tommy Tune, on musical theatre.

My avatar: Yummy, no?

Conor Profile Photo
Conor
#23re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/22/05 at 11:12pm

She definitly could do it. It would be kinda weird if she and cheyenne were partnered up again...

alphieboy Profile Photo
alphieboy
#24re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/22/05 at 11:15pm

Yes, and quite unfortunate. Jenn IMO is not right for the role, and there are better possibilities.

"If I have something to say, the whole world (BroadwayWorld) should hear it." - Thenardier

Videos