Merrily We Roll Along

AndiV Profile Photo
AndiV
#0Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 9/15/05 at 10:49am

i would like to see a production of Merrily We Roll Along...video...live...whatever...

is there a recording? has anyone been in it and have a copy that i could see? anyone have ideas on how to go about seeing it? i don't forsee any performances of it near me in the future...

thanks!

So long status quo/ I think I just let go/ You make me want to be/ BRAVE

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#1re: Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 9/15/05 at 11:02am

There are no legal video recordings of the show.

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#2re: Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 9/15/05 at 11:10am

If you live in NYC, you can se it at Lincoln Center Library

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#3re: Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 9/15/05 at 11:16am

I've heard about that Lincoln Center thing, but I've never been able to find much information about it. If you're in town can you just go to the library and ask to see a video of any show?

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#4re: Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 9/15/05 at 11:17am

I believe you need to have some reason to view the video (student, director, etc.)
Updated On: 9/15/05 at 11:17 AM

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
seymour krelborn Profile Photo
seymour krelborn
#6re: Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 9/15/05 at 11:22am

If you live in NYC NYU is doing a production of it very soon It opens september 23rd and runs until October 2nd. Check with their website for details. Updated On: 9/15/05 at 11:22 AM

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#7re: Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 9/15/05 at 11:27am

Sure you can--just tell them its for educational reasons--but you do have to make a reservation

yipper Profile Photo
yipper
#8re: Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 9/15/05 at 1:33pm

Has any verison of the book been published?

Follow the Fellow who Follows a Dream...

Jon
#9re: Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 9/15/05 at 2:02pm

The original libretto was published, but is long out-of-print.

MargoChanning
#10re: Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 9/15/05 at 2:13pm

The original script is not only out of print, but Furth has pulled the rights for the 1981 version of the book (with the graduation theme opening and closing the show) entirely. Only Furth's revised version of the book (which opens at a cocktail party -- it played at the Kennedy Center Center Sondheim Festival three years ago) is available for license.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#11re: Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 9/15/05 at 2:20pm

I thought that was the case Margo--what do you think of that? I always like the graduation "bookends" but I see the value of the cocktail party. What's your take? Feel free to be brief--I know you type alot on these boards--but we trust you lady!

MargoChanning
#12re: Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 9/15/05 at 2:38pm

I know a lot of people love the graduation bookends and miss them, but I thought the new revisions worked just fine for the Kennedy Center production. You lose a bit of sentimentality, but the ending still has a strong sense of hopefulness, even without all the cap and gowns. Of course, the reverse time order of the rest of the book is still an issue, but I really enjoyed that production overall (especially Skinner and Esparza).

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 9/15/05 at 02:38 PM

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#13re: Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 9/15/05 at 2:40pm

Skinner, darling...Skinner.

Goddammit, why did they have to play those Siamese Twins!

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

#14re: Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 9/15/05 at 2:45pm

Is this another show a novice musical theater lover should be acquainted with. Or, it is another Brilliant show/Bad book situation?

MargoChanning
#15re: Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 9/15/05 at 2:45pm

Oh that's right. HA! I'll change it.

Updated On: 9/15/05 at 02:45 PM

yipper Profile Photo
yipper
#16re: Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 9/15/05 at 2:49pm

I have found that all Sondheim shows are worth study. Sondheim's worst is better than most others best. If by some miracle you find the script, menzella, let me know.

MargoChanning
#17re: Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 9/15/05 at 3:14pm

It's generally considered one of Sondheim's most "accessible" scores -- it's easier to "get" on first listen than some of his others. It's constructed and composed in very traditional musical theatre terms and contains a lot of fun and catchy melodies ("Old Friends," "Not A Day Goes By," "Good Thing Going").

The book (based on an old Kaufman & Hart play) goes backwards in time showing the reverse evolution of the friendship of the three main leads. The show opens with them barely on speaking terms, but ends 25 years earlier at the moment they first met and have their lives ahead of them. Some like this structure -- seeing it an intriguing way to tell the story -- but others find it gimmicky and anti-dramatic. I like it for the most part (though the reverse order undermines the impact of a couple of the scenes) and after seeing a few productions of it, the order doesn't bother me anymore. The score is wonderful, though -- breezy, light yet very inventive with a richness of melody that's you can't help, but embrace.

The original production flopped after 16 performances partly due to critical reaction to the book, but more than that, Prince, miscast the show with very young inexperienced performers. He initially loved the youthful energy, but realized too late that Furth's sophisticated dialogue was unbelieveable and simply fell flat being spoken by a bunch of 20-somethings. Prince later admitted his mistake and said something to the effect of "the kids killed us." Sondheim said "Kaufman and Hart wrote a play for adults; so did we and it was a mistake not casting adults in those roles."

Subsequent productions, with more experienced casts and new versions of the book (Furth has done extensive tinkering with it over the years -- the 2002 version that played at The Kennedy Center is probably the final version), have been much more successful and Merrily's reputation has grown considerably over the years. Whatever one thinks of the book, it's certainly among Sondheim's best.

Updated On: 9/15/05 at 03:14 PM

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#18re: Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 9/15/05 at 3:17pm

I thought the Sondheim Festival production of Merrily was the best I've ever seen (I'd also seen OBC, Arena Stages w/Garber and Off-Bway revival). Miriam Shor really got Mary.

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#19re: Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 9/15/05 at 3:17pm

Do you think, now that irony and archness is in with the hipster set, that the right set of younger actors could make it work?

Kringas
#20re: Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 9/15/05 at 3:20pm

I often wonder if the show will never truly work, simply because of the infamy of the original production. It's a shame, too. It's one of my all-time favorite shows.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#21re: Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 9/15/05 at 3:21pm

Ya know...I keep hoping they'll recast it young so I can be in it.

And then it hits me. I'm 31. F*ck the kiddies!

Kringas
#22re: Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 9/15/05 at 3:22pm

As someone who turns 31 in nine days, I'm right there with you, robbie.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

yipper Profile Photo
yipper
#23re: Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 9/15/05 at 3:23pm

Happy Birthday, Kringas

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#24re: Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 9/15/05 at 3:25pm

Let's hear it for 1974!

You can be Frank and I can be Charley.

Better yet...you be Mary, I'll be Gussie!

Videos