pixeltracker

Weekly Appreciation - Titanic- Page 2

Weekly Appreciation - Titanic

suzycat Profile Photo
suzycat
#25re: Titanic Musical - Appreciation
Posted: 9/27/05 at 7:21am

I love Titanic. It was the first musical that I saw multiple times and was also the first show I went to the stagedoor for. It will always have a special place in my heart. My birthday is April 14th (the day the titanic hit the iceburg) so I have always been interested in the story and seeing it come alive on stage with such beautiful music was a joy...

ashley0139
#26re: Titanic Musical - Appreciation
Posted: 9/27/05 at 9:46am

I have the cd but I have never listened to it. I will have to start.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#27re: Titanic Musical - Appreciation
Posted: 9/27/05 at 10:00am

I actually loved this show so much more than I thought I would. The reviews were very mixed, and The Life had better buzz. I was so looking forward to The Life and saw Titanic because I had a ticket.

I was very disappointed in The Life. I thought the songs were okay and some of the performances were okay, but the story was idiotic...and some of the numbers were downright offensively bad (The Hooker's Ball comes to mind.)

Titanic on the other hand was a wonderful surprise. Beyond the glorious score, the performances were terrific from everyone. There were a few duds in the score...the "Remarkable Age" number seemed silly, and the set design for the end of Act I, a miniature of the ship, looked VERY silly and the audience laughed as this toy moved shakily toward the iceberg.

Still (pun), I never got too emotional during the film Titanic, but cried during the Strauss's duet "Still"...when they stomped the glass at the end...a great moment.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#28re: Titanic Musical - Appreciation
Posted: 9/27/05 at 10:04am

"The Latest Rag" is the song I always skip...not "Remarkable Age"...sorry folks!

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

yodamarie78 Profile Photo
yodamarie78
#29re: Titanic Musical - Appreciation
Posted: 9/27/05 at 10:21am

I have had a bit of a Titanic obsession since high school (predating James Cameron), so I was beyond excited when I heard there was going to be a Titanic Musical. I finally got to see it when the first national tour came to Atlanta and loved every minute of it. I will never forget when the lights came up for intermission and my husband exclaimed, "I forgot it was going to sink!" I seem to be about the only person who found the model boat effective.
And I'm just biding my time until I'm old enough to play Alice re: Titanic Musical - Appreciation

rmposey Profile Photo
rmposey
#30re: Titanic Musical - Appreciation
Posted: 9/27/05 at 10:36am

Ah, Titanic...It was difficult getting to Broadway from South Mississippi as my dear sister wickedwitchofthechest has pointed out. I thoroughly enjoyed Titanic when we saw it! I've loved Brian D'Arcy James devotedly since then.

I should have eaten the saw and used the cake to bludgeon my way out - Alfred Hitchcock

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#31re: Titanic Musical - Appreciation
Posted: 9/27/05 at 10:46am

This show also has a very special place in my heart because it was my first broadway show, and I was blown away. I didn't know what to expect when I went to broadway, but I certainly didn't expect anything as grand as Titanic. I fell in love with the prologue, and knew at that moment that I wanted to be a performer and be on broadway. I fell in love with Vikki Clark, and brian D'arcy James. the only song I skip on the cd is the captain's prayer. I saw it once after that on Broadway, and one more time on the tour. I would've loved to see the last show in NY!!! long live Titanic. I know it has its bashers, but I will always defend it.

it's not fate, it's Irish

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
Updated On: 9/27/05 at 10:46 AM

wickedwitchofthechest
#32re: Titanic Musical - Appreciation
Posted: 9/27/05 at 10:51am

Morgen, Seestore!

"Wilkins, after all these years, are you trying to be funny?"

rmposey Profile Photo
rmposey
#33re: Titanic Musical - Appreciation
Posted: 9/27/05 at 10:55am

Gut morgen to you too, Seestor!

I should have eaten the saw and used the cake to bludgeon my way out - Alfred Hitchcock

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#34re: Titanic Musical - Appreciation
Posted: 9/27/05 at 11:04am

WOW! You all are making me feel old... and I'm not!!!

I've made my views on this show rather clear in several other threads so, I will not rehash the gory details of why this show is a joke to me. It does make for good stories though. I'm glad that so many people like it but it's not my cup of tea to say the very least. To each their own.

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

J.J. Profile Photo
J.J.
#35re: Titanic Musical - Appreciation
Posted: 9/27/05 at 11:51am

It's one of my favorite shows.

Still remember it so vividly.

During the last number when Caroline went to take the ticket being passed to her by Charles (as in the opening number) - and the look on her face when she realized that he is not actually "there" and the ticket "passes" through her hand.
Just amazing.

The "Porthole Sequence" was so powerful. In "Pajamas" when the cart starts to slowly roll, by itself - Breathtaking. Then watching the cast actually realize what is happening, as they finish the song just looking stunned.

As the passengers start to board the lifeboats, Alice grabs Edgar, and in tears, tells him that (not verbatim) she is so sorry for the things she said to him, and really does love him.
Hearbreaking.

Tom Andrews getting crushed by the piano as he ends his number and the three story revolving set is almost completely vertical now.

The following scene on the Carpathia. If you didn't shed a tear with everything that was said in that scene...you're inhuman.

Things that I always wondered about. Lady's Maid is placed incorrectly on the CD. Why? Why one of the best numbers in the show was never recorded (Wake Up! Wake Up!). They should have made a complete recording, including "The Stairwell", the reprise of "What A Remarkable Age". And they never should have cut down "I Have Danced With The First Class". The dialogue between Alice and Edgar is needed.

And why did they change the logo. Personally, I loved the 'lit ship' logo.

Also (I tend not to stop talking when it comes to this show - last thing, I promise) does anyone know if there is anyplace to find the lyrics to "Behind Every Fortune" From what I've heard about it, it was one of the best songs in the show...before it was cut...

"Mutate or perish."

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#36re: Titanic Musical - Appreciation
Posted: 9/27/05 at 11:56am

I love "The Latest Rag". When the show was still playing, the Titanic company auctioned off some things for BC/EFA. I bid on a dance lesson and won. I got to spend an hour on the stage with dance captain, Mindy Cooper and David Elder, who taught me and a friend of mine, the choreography for that number. I was on cloud nine and they could not have been nicer or more accomodating.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

nomdeplume
#37re: Titanic Musical - Appreciation
Posted: 9/27/05 at 2:12pm

I got the CD recently and love it; it was beautifully recorded.

I am fond of the score in general and listen to several of the songs repeatedly. I never get tired of "The Proposal/The Night is Alive."

I liked Steel Pier and The Life that year very much. I just got the CD of Steel Pier, but it is not as good as seeing it on stage was. Oddly enough, while I enjoyed Titanic onstage very much, especially the spooky eagle's perch scene, I think the CD is even better--how can that be? Maybe because I can catch every word and there was a lot to see visually that distracted the ear in the actual production.

(hi witchie and posey you Southern belles, you)

rose&lark
#38re: Titanic Musical - Appreciation
Posted: 10/13/05 at 8:56pm

I had the fortune of being acquainted with this powerful show when a friend of mine was in a high school production of it a few years back. I enjoy that it showcases all three social classes, and their experiences on the ship. In my opinion, you really get to feel for the characters, and consequently, many a tear was shed during the Lifeboat Scene (*sniffle*). Beautiful music at the heart as well.

Q: What is the most weirdest or funniest thing a fan has asked you? Joe Flanigan, Stargate Atlantis: When a fan asked me for help with his grammar. I'm available.

IssaMe
#39re: Titanic Musical - Appreciation
Posted: 10/15/05 at 1:43pm

Ah yes, that final Broadway performance some people mentioned above...it was one of the most emotional final performances of its time. Everyone around me was crying at the end (but then, they were mostly the producers and it hadn't recouped).

It was a wonderful show and the CD is just dandy. Someone mentioned Yeston and Guettel. For me, although different in style and execution, the grandeur and the sweep of the scores of "Titanic" and "Light in the Piazza" are somewhat similar and complementary in story-telling power (Victoria Clark not being the only connection).

Necromancer07707 Profile Photo
Necromancer07707
#40re: Titanic Musical - Appreciation
Posted: 10/21/05 at 8:19pm

Great audition songs for any strong baritone. Bought the CD for 5 bucks at Half Price Books, and couldn't have been happier with the purchase.

"I am ready to disclaim my opinion, even of yesterday, even of 10 minutes ago, because all opinions are relative. One lives in a field of influences, one is influenced by everyone one meets, everything is an exchange of influences, all opinions are derivative. Once you deal a new deck of cards, you've got a new deck of cards." — Peter Brook

antonijan Profile Photo
antonijan
#41re: Titanic Musical - Appreciation
Posted: 5/3/09 at 4:50am

Cool!

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#42re: Titanic Musical - Appreciation
Posted: 5/3/09 at 7:07am

After seeing Ragtime at Kennedy Center's Eisenhower Theatre, I thought that this venue would be the perfect place for a production of Titanic.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany