pixeltracker

Sara Ramirez to exit SPAMALOT in December- Page 2

Sara Ramirez to exit SPAMALOT in December

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#25re: Sara Ramirez to exit SPAMALOT in December
Posted: 10/11/05 at 4:09pm

I'll take the TONY committee's opinion and mine over yours ANY day.

Although there are some decisions of theirs I disagree with...this one...I don't.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

RuprechtJr.
#26re: Sara Ramirez to exit SPAMALOT in December
Posted: 10/11/05 at 4:10pm

Kelli O'Hara's good, but today people like comedy better than drama because they want to leave all the news of terrorism and deaths outside the theater door and enter into a theater that gives them joy. Not many people like going in to the same thing as you experience outside. So, Sara deserved it and apparaently she deserved it because she won it.

Tir Na Nog
#27re: Sara Ramirez to exit SPAMALOT in December
Posted: 10/11/05 at 4:13pm

Kelli O"Hara gave and incredibly layered performance in "The Light in the Piazza". Sara is on stage for two minutes and belts a couple of songs and goes home. The two performances are not even in the same category.

The Tony's make mistakes all the time (Hello!! Phantom winning over Into the Woods) The only Tony you can even sort of count on these days is "Best Score"

Ramirez was LEAGUES better in "The Capeman" and had about the same amount of stage time. I am not saying she isn't talented. Just think the role is kinda dumb.

"One difference between poetry and lyrics is that lyrics sort of fade into the background. They fade on the page and live on the stage when set to music". - Stephen Sondheim

RuprechtJr.
#28re: Sara Ramirez to exit SPAMALOT in December
Posted: 10/11/05 at 4:15pm

Listen, don't worry about the past. What was given out was accepted and you should only be whining if Kelli puts up a fight. Phantom shouldn't have won over Into the Woods, but the awards were back in the 1980s so just leave it be.

Tir Na Nog
#29re: Sara Ramirez to exit SPAMALOT in December
Posted: 10/11/05 at 4:17pm

"Listen, don't worry about the past. What was given out was accepted and you should only be whining if Kelli puts up a fight. Phantom shouldn't have won over Into the Woods, but the awards were back in the 1980s so just leave it be."

I have a better idea. How about you don't tell me what to worry about? Sound good?

I was not whining about Kelli. I just don't think the role of the Lady of the Lake is as great as people make it out to be. It's called having an opinion.

"One difference between poetry and lyrics is that lyrics sort of fade into the background. They fade on the page and live on the stage when set to music". - Stephen Sondheim
Updated On: 10/11/05 at 04:17 PM

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#30re: Sara Ramirez to exit SPAMALOT in December
Posted: 10/11/05 at 4:18pm

Is there any chance Sara's standby, Rosena M. Hill, will be taking over for her? I know she has been mentioned as possibly going to the tour, but I hear she is amazing and was curious if anyone knew anything..

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

RuprechtJr.
#31re: Sara Ramirez to exit SPAMALOT in December
Posted: 10/11/05 at 4:19pm

Tir, I'm just mad that you thread jack to complain about Sara winning over Kelli when we were peacefully talking about Sara leaving Spamalot.

Tir Na Nog
#32re: Sara Ramirez to exit SPAMALOT in December
Posted: 10/11/05 at 4:23pm

Ummmm I don't believe I did that. If you care to look back in the thread you will see JohnyJune made the first negative comment and "Ljay889" was the one who brought up Kelli.

Thanks

PJ
#33re: Sara Ramirez to exit SPAMALOT in December
Posted: 10/11/05 at 4:31pm

In my opinion, Sara most definitely deserved the Tony. She was the only redeeming quality of Spamalot. Without her, I wouldn't have enjoyed the show.

Kelli O'Hara is wonderful in Piazza. But I can't help think that her performance as Clara is something that any well trained soprano can do. She is replaceable. Whereas Sara in Spamalot, as her standbys have proven, is extremely difficult to do just that.

TheHumanTorch Profile Photo
TheHumanTorch
#34re: Sara Ramirez to exit SPAMALOT in December
Posted: 10/11/05 at 4:33pm

yeah I agree.... Ramirez was good, mediocre... but she wasn't FANTASTIC... certainly not the BEST part of Spamalot for me at least... sooo sooo overrated in my book

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#35re: Sara Ramirez to exit SPAMALOT in December
Posted: 10/11/05 at 4:35pm

Allow me to jack this thread once more for a far more kinder and gentler reason, GIVE ORFEH THE DARN PART ALREADY, thank you. Seriously, Ramirez has been working a long time, contrary to popular belief on BWW and I'm sure, deserved the Tony. The fact that she's fragile, is a whole other story. There are no understudies in T.V. so hopefully that's a medium her health is better suited for. In the meantime, give the part to Orfeh, who in addition to being a vocal monster, never misses shows.

Tir Na Nog
#36re: Sara Ramirez to exit SPAMALOT in December
Posted: 10/11/05 at 4:38pm

"In my opinion, Sara most definitely deserved the Tony. She was the only redeeming quality of Spamalot. Without her, I wouldn't have enjoyed the show.

Kelli O'Hara is wonderful in Piazza. But I can't help think that her performance as Clara is something that any well trained soprano can do. She is replaceable. Whereas Sara in Spamalot, as her standbys have proven, is extremely difficult to do just that."

Wait. i don't get this. You think the role of the Lady in the friggin Lake is harder than Clara?! How? An American Idol contestant could play that role. Sara's standbys have been fine as so many people here have said. I saw her and her standby. Not much of a difference. Also, I believe Sarah Uriarte Berry is Kelly's understudy. Sarah is a trained actress who can handle the very difficult role of Clara.

I'm sorry but I think you are way off there.

Updated On: 10/11/05 at 04:38 PM

PJ
#37re: Sara Ramirez to exit SPAMALOT in December
Posted: 10/11/05 at 4:44pm

It's not "harder" than the role of Clara. I said that Sara's stamp on the role is much, much more prominent than Kelli's in Piazza. Literally anyone who could sing the role could step into Piazza and play Clara. Obviously, the role of the Lady of the Lake would be much harder to cast after Sara leaves.

Tir Na Nog
#38re: Sara Ramirez to exit SPAMALOT in December
Posted: 10/11/05 at 4:54pm

"It's not "harder" than the role of Clara. I said that Sara's stamp on the role is much, much more prominent than Kelli's in Piazza. Literally anyone who could sing the role could step into Piazza and play Clara. Obviously, the role of the Lady of the Lake would be much harder to cast after Sara leaves."

I think you have these roles confused, BIG TIME. Anyone who can sing could walk into the role of Clara? That is an incredibly difficult role. The reason Sara Ramirez got more attention is she is the only female in a VERY HIGH PROFILE SHOW. Kelly Clarkson could play the role of the Lady in the Lake. That role is a joke (literally). Nobody will remember Sara even left Spamalot except us theater geeks. The star of Spamalot is SPAMALOT. Piazza is a much harder show on EVERY level.

PJ
#39re: Sara Ramirez to exit SPAMALOT in December
Posted: 10/11/05 at 4:58pm

The fact that you're practically forcing me to bash Kelli O'Hara is really pissing me off.

That is my opinion. You can't tell me whether it's right or wrong. You can only agree or disagree. Now grow up.

Tir Na Nog
#40re: Sara Ramirez to exit SPAMALOT in December
Posted: 10/11/05 at 5:03pm

"The fact that you're practically forcing me to bash Kelli O'Hara is really pissing me off.

That is my opinion. You can't tell me whether it's right or wrong. You can only agree or disagree. Now grow up"

Ummmm if my job in life was to appease you I am sure I would care if I were pissing you off. Being that isn't the case I will just say that this is also my opinion. I can disagree with you as you are with me. It's called a debate. I am grown up. I'm not the one with Elphaba as my avatar. =)

PJ
#41re: Sara Ramirez to exit SPAMALOT in December
Posted: 10/11/05 at 5:47pm

That was mature.

RuprechtJr.
#42re: Sara Ramirez to exit SPAMALOT in December
Posted: 10/11/05 at 5:51pm

Ok, let's stop the mean comments...even though Tir Na Nog was the only one saying them, Don't call someone immature just because they like Wicked I mean my Grandmother loves it...does that not mean she isn't even now mature enough to handle kids?

Tir, what PJ was TRYING to say was that KELLI didn't make a mark on the role. Yes the role is difficult but she was only commenting on the fact that KELLI didn't leave an imprint. Sara on the other hand did because of an amazing belting voice and good comic timing. I don't hear as much talk about Kelli as I do Sara so that means that PJ IS right in saying that Kelli didn't leave an impression while Sara did. There fight is finished let's get on with talking about Sara leaving.

Tir Na Nog
#43re: Sara Ramirez to exit SPAMALOT in December
Posted: 10/11/05 at 6:00pm

******"Ok, let's stop the mean comments...even though Tir Na Nog was the only one saying them, Don't call someone immature just because they like Wicked I mean my Grandmother loves it...does that not mean she isn't even now mature enough to handle kids?"********

People who think "Wicked" is a good musical aren't immature. They probably donb't have the greatest taste but that is another matter.

*******Tir, what PJ was TRYING to say was that KELLI didn't make a mark on the role. Yes the role is difficult but she was only commenting on the fact that KELLI didn't leave an imprint. Sara on the other hand did because of an amazing belting voice and good comic timing. I don't hear as much talk about Kelli as I do Sara so that means that PJ IS right in saying that Kelli didn't leave an impression while Sara did. There fight is finished let's get on with talking about Sara leaving.*******

Thanks Dad. I wm not fighting with anyone. Just because someone does not agree with you or might think you have bad taste doesn't mean they are fighting with you.

I don't know how much musical theater you guys have seen but saying Sara Ramirez left a print on a noneventful role is kinda naive. When I think of "stamped" or "imprint" roles I think of Joanna Gleason in ITW, Elaine Stritch in Company, "Lansbury in Sweeney, Ruffelle in Les Miserables, or Donna Murphy in Passion.

The point I am trying to make is that people are putting too much time and effort raising up these stupid roles because they have a belter in them. While "REAL" parts that tell real stories are left behind (Thank God for Anika Noni Rose).

This is what the dumbing down of Broadway is all about.

C is for Company
#44re: Sara Ramirez to exit SPAMALOT in December
Posted: 10/11/05 at 6:30pm

I pretty much completely agree with T.N.N., but since this issue isnt that on topic as the thread, I will say that it is sad a good performer leaves a crappy show cause then all youre left with is a crappy show re: Sara Ramirez to exit SPAMALOT in December

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#45re: Sara Ramirez to exit SPAMALOT in December
Posted: 10/11/05 at 6:34pm

oh crapola! that was one of the reason that i was going to see it! Fooey!

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

Elphaba4
#46re: Sara Ramirez to exit SPAMALOT in December
Posted: 10/11/05 at 6:37pm

Aw, crap! I'm seeing Spamalot on March 26, 2006. Does anyone know when David Hyde Pierce is leaving? I love him!

"There will always be women in rubber flirting with me" ~Maureen, RENT

Yankeefan007
#47re: Sara Ramirez to exit SPAMALOT in December
Posted: 10/11/05 at 6:41pm

David and Hank leave in April.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#48re: Sara Ramirez to exit SPAMALOT in December
Posted: 10/11/05 at 7:01pm

December 18th, baby! I'll be there re: Sara Ramirez to exit SPAMALOT in December

kelzama
#49re: Sara Ramirez to exit SPAMALOT in December
Posted: 10/11/05 at 7:24pm

I've heard the casting director has invited some pretty heavy hitters to audition. Judging from that, I doubt many will be disappointed.