pixeltracker

Who have you gotten stuff back from?- Page 223

Who have you gotten stuff back from?

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#5550Who Have You Gotten Stuff Back From?
Posted: 6/15/23 at 10:41am

fugueindminor said: "Has anyone ever sent mail to an actor at a theater for a show they never went to? Is this a thing people do?

I've never done it, but I was just curious. It feels kind of tacky to me to send a request for an autographed playbill without going to see the show, though I suppose it's okay if you're just sending a nice letter of support like "I'm a big fan, wish I could be there!" without asking for something in return.
"

I did for My Fair Lady because my late grandmother had been a huge fan of The Avengers and of the musical before her passing, and I really wanted to get Diana Rigg's signature (since it synchronized the two memories in one event). I put in the letter that I had spent many hours with grandma watching her performances in the show and that, if she had time after signing for people who had seen the show, I would love to have a signed playbill as I would be unable to travel to NYC to see the performance live. She did, in fact, send one back (and part of me wonders if she was just glad someone wrote in about something other than Game of Thrones, which was big at the time). 

That being said, I tend not to mail in unless I missed the stage door when I saw the show. Good form, I guess, might be to send a BC/EFA donation if you get anything back in these cases?

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#5551Who Have You Gotten Stuff Back From?
Posted: 6/15/23 at 11:46am

fugueindminor said: "Has anyone ever sent mail to an actor at a theater for a show they never went to? Is this a thing people do?

I've never done it, but I was just curious. It feels kind of tacky to me to send a request for an autographed playbill without going to see the show, though I suppose it's okay if you're just sending a nice letter of support like "I'm a big fan, wish I could be there!" without asking for something in return.
"

Autograph collectors/sellers tend to do this and it’s definitely tacky in my opinion. 

Personally, I’m not mailing anything to or requesting anything from a show or actor unless I’ve seen it/them personally since I find it a little disrespectful to be like “Hey, can I get a signed playbill from this show you’re in that I didnt see or have no plans to see?”

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#5552Who Have You Gotten Stuff Back From?
Posted: 6/15/23 at 11:57am

No one nor the actor knows you didn’t see the show. No one can form any opinion of you if they don’t know. Learn to keep your mouth shut and not overshare everything. People need to learn not everyone needs nor wants to hear everything.  cheeky

KBPT1998
#5553Who Have You Gotten Stuff Back From?
Posted: 6/30/23 at 2:25pm

At the end of April/ early May I sent a SASE with way more than adequate postage, a note to the attention of the Stage Manager and a $50 donation to BCEFA with a gentle request for signed Playbills with each to Shucked, Sweeney Todd and Kimberly Akimbo.  

I have yet to hear back from any of them, which is unusual given that I have sent similar requests in the pass and usually hear back within a month or so.

So I sit here a bit sad and a bit frustrated.  Maybe I’m being impatient with my timing w/ the Tony Awards and all… but 7-8 weeks seems like a reasonable time frame.  Maybe I am just winding up unlucky?  

MNNiceorIce Profile Photo
MNNiceorIce
#5554Who Have You Gotten Stuff Back From?
Posted: 6/30/23 at 2:54pm

In March, I sent Lea (FUNNY GIRL) and Bonnie (KIMBERLY AKIMBO) a note, the Playbills I had from seeing their performances, and SASE with extra postage with no real expectation.  Was so pleasantly surprised to get a response from Bonnie about a month later with a personal note and my Playbill signed by the entire cast (and I know it was mine because I had the date written in it).  I sort of knew Lea's was a pipe dream...but was crossing my fingers anyway.

quizking101
#5555Who Have You Gotten Stuff Back From?
Posted: 6/30/23 at 3:26pm

I heard back from Jodie Comer at PRIMA FACIE - she was nice enough to personalize it with my name. Took about 4 weeks.

PARADE sent my playbill back with a notice requesting a $75 donation.

Yesterday, I got a full cast back from PETER PAN GOES WRONG

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

perfectpenguin
#5556Who Have You Gotten Stuff Back From?
Posted: 6/30/23 at 4:52pm

I also heard back from Jodie Comer today. Mailed about a month ago. I actually wrote to the stage manager but I guess she must have forwarded my letter to her. I wasn't expecting a response so it was surprising when I saw my green envelope in the mail! 

quizking101
#5557Who Have You Gotten Stuff Back From?
Posted: 6/30/23 at 5:14pm

KBPT1998 said: "At the end of April/ early May I sent a SASE with way more than adequate postage, a note to the attention of the Stage Manager and a $50 donation to BCEFA with a gentle request for signed Playbills with each to Shucked, Sweeney Todd and Kimberly Akimbo.

I have yet to hear back from any of them, which is unusual given that I have sent similar requests in the pass and usually hear back within a month or so.

So I sit here a bit sad and a bit frustrated. Maybe I’m being impatient with my timing w/ the Tony Awards and all… but 7-8 weeks seems like a reasonable time frame. Maybe I am just winding up unlucky?
"

Check to see if the checks were cashed. That should give you an idea of if they even got it 

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#5558Who Have You Gotten Stuff Back From?
Posted: 6/30/23 at 5:46pm

I wrote to Jessica Chastain about a month ago (not with a playbill, just with a note), with a SASE. No response yet.

Since the show closed a few weeks ago, I think I'm just gonna chalk this one up as an L.

Oh well. She's still one of my faves!

Edit: I also had an AMAZING interaction with her at the Doll's House stage door, that I wouldn't trade for anything. 

Updated On: 6/30/23 at 05:46 PM

Theatre Fan3
#5559Who Have You Gotten Stuff Back From?
Posted: 6/30/23 at 8:13pm

I was lucky enough to see Patti LuPone in SUNSET BLVD when it first opened in the West End.  The travel agent I had worked with in putting the trip together was also a personal friend and a HUGE Patti LuPone fan and was green with envy when I told her I had tickets to see the show.  Obviously this was quite some time ago and I had never done any 'stage dooring' or asked for autographs before.  Upon arriving in London I believe I first stopped at the box office several days before the date of the performance I had tickets for and asked them if there was any way I could get an autographed program for a friend back home and they instructed me to leave a note at the stage door with my request and then to check back with them before I headed back home.  I wrote up a note explaining about my friend back home who was a huge fan and how I was hoping to be able to take home an autographed program for her.  I included my friend's name and signed it with my name and home address ... no prepaid SASE.  The night of the show we decided to go to the stage door and see what happened.  There was quite a few people gathered, as I recall, but we were close enough to have a good view of when the cast started coming out.  I had my souvenir program that I had bought in hand and was able to get Meredith Braun's autograph when she came out then finally Patti came out.  I had my camera in hand and was able to get a photo of her as she was greeting some of the other fans and then managed to get her autograph on my program, as well.  I checked back at the stage door before we headed back home at the end of the week to see if anything had been left for me in response to the note I had left earlier in the week but alas ... nothing.   I wasn't too disappointed since I had managed to get her picture and autograph that night at the stage door so was going home quite happy.  Well, I can't remember exactly how long it was after I had arrived back home but a large manila envelope arrived in the mail and in it was a type written note on official Sunset Blvd stationary from Patti saying she was sorry but she hadn't gotten my note in time to sign anything for my friend so she was sending an autographed 8x10 photo of herself made out to my friend's name and hoped that she would be happy with that.  I had never expected anything like that.  Needless to say my friend was thrilled beyond words when I gave her the the autographed 8x10 made out to her personally.  I kept the type written note signed by Patti for myself ... along with the photo I had taken of her at the stage door.  I would scan and post them here but can't figure out how to upload any photos or scan on here.  If anybody has any suggestions I'll give it a try.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#5560Who Have You Gotten Stuff Back From?
Posted: 6/30/23 at 11:08pm

Who Have You Gotten Stuff Back From?

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Theatre Fan3
#5561Who Have You Gotten Stuff Back From?
Posted: 6/30/23 at 11:20pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "

Who Have You Gotten Stuff Back From?

"

How did you upload that picture?  When I click on the "imagine" icon above it wants me to enter a URL but there isn't one ... it's just a scan stored on my computer.

Updated On: 6/30/23 at 11:20 PM

fugueindminor
#5562Who Have You Gotten Stuff Back From?
Posted: 7/1/23 at 3:34am

BroadwayRox3588 said: "I wrote to Jessica Chastain about a month ago (not with a playbill, just with a note), with a SASE. No response yet.

Since the show closed a few weeks ago, I think I'm just gonna chalk this one up as an L.

Oh well. She's still one of my faves!

I also sent a letter to Chastain with a SASE but no playbill, and am waiting to hear back too. I know people have at least received signed playbills back from her in the mail, but it’s possible she hasn’t yet gotten around to responding to letters that require more of a thoughtful response. 

Back when she was in The Heiress, I know she made it known that she wasn’t going to respond to fan mail until after the show had wrapped, so maybe she’s just taking her time again (also pretty sure she was on vacation the past couple weeks).

Maximum Thread Size of 5,000 Messages Reached
Please Start a New Thread!