RENT - Please explain

EadieWasALady Profile Photo
EadieWasALady
#0RENT - Please explain
Posted: 11/21/05 at 10:12am

May I please ask someone to explain to me what it is about RENT that has so many people excited and enthralled. What is the connection? Wwhat happens in the story? Thank you.

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#1re: RENT - Please explain
Posted: 11/21/05 at 10:26am

http://www.musicalsonline.com/rent/synorent.htm

It's almost impossible to explain why it touches people like it does.

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

rent_fan626 Profile Photo
rent_fan626
#2re: RENT - Please explain
Posted: 11/21/05 at 12:13pm

You can't possibly explain Rent....the show is just magical..there is no other way to describe it

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#3re: RENT - Please explain
Posted: 11/21/05 at 12:15pm

Rent's themes are so varied and universal. I think it's both difficult and limiting to try to offer *one* explanation, especially one that's mildly specific as to why the phenomenon. It's a story with themes and messages that reach a lot of people, and can touch and change its audiences. It's about love, and loss and not fitting in... but finding your way in. It's also very political. Those are things people latch onto and relate to on a very personal level. And hey, the music's wonderful.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

dry2olives Profile Photo
dry2olives
#4re: RENT - Please explain
Posted: 11/21/05 at 12:21pm

Well, my own personal experience, seeing it in Off-Broadway previews, was that it was the first time I had seen a rock musical written with strong musical theatre structure. Before Rent, most rock musicals that became known were written by people in the music industry who really didn't have a grasp on using songs to develop characters and advance the plot. Hair may have a great collection of songs, but the book is continually being revised because it's a mess. Jonathan Larson showed you can write a rock musical with a strong story and characters.

rent_fan626 Profile Photo
rent_fan626
#5re: RENT - Please explain
Posted: 11/21/05 at 12:21pm

very well put my friend...very well put!

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#6re: RENT - Please explain
Posted: 11/21/05 at 12:27pm

I strongly encourage you to see the show. You can't grasp why it affect people until you have personally experienced it. The movie is a good start, but the stage show really makes you feel it.

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

jasobres
#7re: RENT - Please explain
Posted: 11/21/05 at 12:34pm

It's just the music that hooked me in. 'Nuff said.

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

ozone20 Profile Photo
ozone20
#8re: RENT - Please explain
Posted: 11/21/05 at 1:33pm

its themes of "no day but today" .. and "measure ur life in love" are truly my adopted life mottos. they simply resonate.

EadieWasALady Profile Photo
EadieWasALady
#9re: RENT - Please explain
Posted: 11/22/05 at 12:47pm

Thank you. I will try to see the film.

Videos