News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

David Hasselhof (sp?) in Jekyll and Hyde

David Hasselhof (sp?) in Jekyll and Hyde

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#0David Hasselhof (sp?) in Jekyll and Hyde
Posted: 11/26/05 at 11:52pm

Ouch. Just watched it for the first time in a while and if this wasn't stunt casting, I don't know what is. Colleen Sexton is quite good as Lucy though.

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish

DramaDork925
#1re: David Hasselhof (sp?) in Jekyll and Hyde
Posted: 11/27/05 at 12:03am

When I saw it I didn't think it was HORRID... I had nothing to compare it to other than the CD, though. I mean, it wasn't nowhere near amazing but not a trainwreck or anything. I agree, Colleen Sexton is fantastic.

Am I cut out to spend my time this way?

trpguyy
#2re: David Hasselhof (sp?) in Jekyll and Hyde
Posted: 11/27/05 at 12:03am

Yes, his performance was quite grim, but I was quite impressed with everyone else's. Partucilarly the women: Sexton and Rivette's In His Eyes is just incredible.

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#3re: David Hasselhof (sp?) in Jekyll and Hyde
Posted: 11/27/05 at 12:17am

Someone like you is absolutely stunning. I just hate how she drops her accent and speech technique when she sings. Does anyone else notice that?

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish

#4re: David Hasselhof (sp?) in Jekyll and Hyde
Posted: 11/27/05 at 2:27am

I HEART colleen sexton ..heehee..she is as sweet as she is talented...amazing all around!
she NEEDS to be back on Broadway and SOON!
i think she would be an amazing Elphaba or replacement for Sheri Rene Scott
i think everyone who played lucy sang with no accent actually...

collins Profile Photo
collins
#5re: David Hasselhof (sp?) in Jekyll and Hyde
Posted: 11/27/05 at 8:05am

That's one of 2 musicals I own on dvd that I wish would have had different leading actors...can you guess the other?

<---Adopt a shelter pet!

EganFan2
#6re: David Hasselhof (sp?) in Jekyll and Hyde
Posted: 11/27/05 at 8:12am

Coleen is the best thing about having that on DVD. Andrea has a pretty voice, but I don't like her acting. None of them seem to retain any semblance of an accent, except for Barrie Ingham, who actually IS British. He's Sir Danvers.
Updated On: 11/27/05 at 08:12 AM

Fiyero2 Profile Photo
Fiyero2
#7re: David Hasselhof (sp?) in Jekyll and Hyde
Posted: 11/27/05 at 9:18am

I agree someone Like You was good but...David performance just ruined the whole show for me..

How Do You Doent Real Life When Real Life's Getting More Like Fiction Each Day??

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#8re: David Hasselhof (sp?) in Jekyll and Hyde
Posted: 11/27/05 at 11:16am

His Confrontation was not bad but everything else was. His TITM was particularly bad. He made facial expressions like a chipmunk & than made a gesture straight out of Saturday Night Fever. Listen to the end of it with Cuccioli holding a note almost forever & him holding a note for a few seconds

I would rather Cuccioli or Evan in it but at least the show was recorded in some form so I take the bad with the good

Poster Emeritus

Albin Profile Photo
Albin
#9re: David Hasselhof (sp?) in Jekyll and Hyde
Posted: 11/27/05 at 11:28am

His "Hyde" was much better than his "Jekyll." I loved his statement referring to Broadway during his curtain call speech. Something about "now that I'm here I'm never leaving." Yeah, right.

etoile
#10Hasselhoff - disrespectful to misspell a name
Posted: 11/27/05 at 11:54am

I've never watched the DVD, only the live stage performance. So my opinion is based on the experience of live theater. Hasselhoff's acting was extremely good. Did he have the strongest voice for the role? No, he is no Cuccioli, but he did a good job with a tough score. People want to talk stunt casting...did you see Sabastian Bach in the role?

And my understanding is that he was responsible for the production being recorded. Without his backing it wouldn't have been done. Think about that everytime someone bemoans the fact that shows are not being recorded for public release.

Rest in peace, Iflitifloat.

Kgshrauder Profile Photo
Kgshrauder
#11Hyde
Posted: 11/27/05 at 12:02pm

I agree....his Hyde was much darker than I have seen. That and the confrentation were the only things I really liked, but I didn;t understand him ripping open his shirt but oh well.

It was 6 hours, I don't even like to have sex and eat bacon for 6 hours.
Freddy Benson- Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#12Hyde
Posted: 11/27/05 at 12:27pm

It was the baywatch in him

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#13Hyde
Posted: 11/27/05 at 12:53pm

Coleen Sexton would be amazing as MARY POPPINS. She's not to old, and she definetly looks the part...

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#14Hyde
Posted: 11/27/05 at 2:32pm

Hasselhoff's performance in that show is now a huge joke among theater people across the country, thanks to the wide-availibility of that DVD. He was truly horrible...however, Jack Wagner was almost just as bad.

#15Hyde
Posted: 11/28/05 at 12:23am

Oh, I could tell you all about the Hasselhoff Curse.

I used to work at Jekyll and Hyde.

Those of us who worked Hasselhoff's first performance all took a vote afterwards and it was unanimous...

...we wanted Sebastian back.

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#16Hyde
Posted: 11/28/05 at 1:14am

the sad thing is that they saved his performance for us to live over and over again..i've seen better acting on community theatre stages.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#17Hyde
Posted: 11/28/05 at 1:18am

I felt especially bad for George Merritt. One the video he looks pretty embarassed. I can just imagine him sitting backstage in his dressing room, secretly expressing his exasperation in the other OBC members.

Radioactiveduck Profile Photo
Radioactiveduck
#18Hyde
Posted: 11/28/05 at 2:01am

I thought David was okay. He suprised me a bit, cuz I didn't know he had any musical abilities at all. He wasn't all that great, but I didn't think he was a horrid as everyone else says.

Poppy
#19David Hasselhoff
Posted: 11/28/05 at 9:20am

I saw the show live and Hasselhoff was terrible, but I understand he got along quite well with the cast and was well liked...now Jack Wagner was another story. I would have liked to have seen Evan or Cuccioli's performance preserved on film along with Christiane Noll and Linda Eder, the original Emma and Lucy. They were quite a group.

#20David Hasselhoff
Posted: 12/1/05 at 12:07am

david wasn't the WORST guy to play the role..i won't say who i thought was.... but joe mahowald and chuck wagner were the BEST...hands down...others were overrated and by the way, LOUD doesn't mean good..again, my opinion...one guy was so loud one would feel BLASTED off the stage...clearly that performer was not there to convey anything but how great THEY were...then there was the "sexy" one whose bad performance was overshadowed by kindness and good looks...and he WAS good looking and a decent actor..but REALLY is not a good singer past his throat...
y'all should know, not that it matters, but david hasselhoff was a JOY to be around..very, very nice and fun and game to try anything. he worked soo hard and cared so much about the show and the people in it. he was extremely kind...not that "nice" should earn you a broadway show..but david was REALLY nice and while he may not have been a favorite, he doesn't deserve the bashing..he didn't hold a gun to the producers head to LET him do the role!! quite the opposite...after John Stamos and Donny Osmond said "this show is crap" david was practically begged to come onboard, they needed a star name! judging by the two that preceded david, it didn't seem they were being TOO picky....again..MY opinion...i don't expect to get bashed! *wink! =)

TheatreSlave
#21David Hasselhoff
Posted: 12/1/05 at 12:19am

I couldn't make it past his performance, so I guess I should maybe give the DVD a second chance in order to see the rest of the cast (maybe I can mute his parts a play the OBC instead?).

Personally, I thought he was horrid. I'm glad he was a nice guy and everyone liked him, but I know a lot of nice people, who I like, that I wold not want anywhere *near* a stage.

And andrew....I sincerely hope your post a tongue-in-cheek. If not, ah well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I did not see any of the two preceeding him, but I can imagine that they were no better.

I saw Cuccioli, and I will ever maintain that he was the best (until I see someone better)

"We are all misfits, I guess, in the theatre. Otherwise we wouldn't be here." ~Michael Kandel, "Ogre"

#22David Hasselhoff
Posted: 12/1/05 at 12:31am

Someone Like You is my wonder song... when all else fails at an audition, that's my song. It's what got me into college :) Such a shame the things I've been hearing about the cast, especially David... <3 briana

#23David Hasselhoff
Posted: 12/1/05 at 12:33am

which part are you hoping is tongue and cheek?

TheatreSlave
#24David Hasselhoff
Posted: 12/1/05 at 1:02am

Chuck Wagner was one of the best and Hasselhoff was good? But I have a feeling that the lead I love is one of your least favorites, so I will agree to disagree.

"We are all misfits, I guess, in the theatre. Otherwise we wouldn't be here." ~Michael Kandel, "Ogre"

Videos