pixeltracker

Can anyone think of any films that are set in the same time and place and The Produers?

Can anyone think of any films that are set in the same time and place and The Produers?

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#0Can anyone think of any films that are set in the same time and place and The Produers?
Posted: 11/28/05 at 9:06pm

Sorry to ask this, but part of my analysis for Musical Theatre Class. I guess I'm looking for films that are set in and around 1959 New York. I thought of The Apartment.

Also, apply the same question to Pippin, so it's the Crusades in Europe. I have The Lion in Winter and Kingdom of Heaven.

Any help is greatly appreiciated!!!!!!

John4763
#1re: Can anyone think of any films that are set in the same time and place and The Produers?
Posted: 11/28/05 at 9:15pm

Please Don't Eat the Daisies
West Side Story

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
RabbitRun Profile Photo
RabbitRun
grizzabella
#4re: Can anyone think of any films that are set in the same time and place and The Produers?
Posted: 11/28/05 at 9:37pm

Pete Kelly's Blues, Barefoot in the Park; Some Came Running.

"And the postman sighed as he scratched his head, you really rather thought she ought to be dead..."

greeneyed_one Profile Photo
greeneyed_one
#5re: Can anyone think of any films that are set in the same time and place and The Produers?
Posted: 11/28/05 at 10:01pm

You could watch TCM or check out their website for more ideas. Anything, pretty much, with Cary Grant right?

wishinguweresomehow Profile Photo
wishinguweresomehow
#6re: Can anyone think of any films that are set in the same time and place a
Posted: 11/28/05 at 10:03pm

Guys and Dolls(?), but I think that is early 1950s. Also Denis the Menis..but that was a TV show...

~Meg~

"Not everyone can come and go by bubble"

#7re: Can anyone think of any films that are set in the same time and place a
Posted: 11/28/05 at 11:19pm

MargoChanning

Broadway Legend
re: Can anyone think of any films that are set in the same time and place and The Produers?
Posted On:11/28/05 at 09:34 PM

Set in Late 50s/Early 60s:

All the Rock Hudson/Doris Day pictures (Pillow Talk, Lover Come Back, Send Me No Flowers)
Down With Love
The Seven Year Itch
That Touch of Mink
Sweet Smell of Success
Silk Stockings
How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying
Bells Are Ringing
Bye Bye Birdie
A Face in the Crowd
Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?
The Manchurian Candidate
Rear Window
The Hustler
The Killing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [https://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/]

TheatreSlave
#8re: Can anyone think of any films that are set in the same time and place a
Posted: 11/28/05 at 11:52pm

Crusades- "The Crusades" (1935, DeMille Epic, not much history here); Any Robin Hood film is "technically" set in this period, and in Europe; "Aleksander Nevsky" (1938, set in Russia); for fun value- "Up the Chastity Belt" (1971, again "technically" a period piece).

1959 New York- Not sure about exact dates/places, but how possibly "Bright Beach Memoirs" "Broadway Bound" (both Neil Simon), Breakfast at Tiffany's"

Hope these help.

"We are all misfits, I guess, in the theatre. Otherwise we wouldn't be here." ~Michael Kandel, "Ogre"

MargoChanning
#9re: Can anyone think of any films that are set in the same time and place a
Posted: 11/28/05 at 11:58pm

Those Neil Simon plays were set in the 30s and 40s. By the 50s, Simon was a grown man working as a staff writer for Sid Caesar on "Your Show of Shows" with Carl Reiner, Mel Brooks, Woody Allen, etc..... For an autobiographical Simon project set in the 50s (that dealt with the Caesar show) there's the play and film "Laughter on the 23rd Floor."

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

TheatreSlave
#10re: Can anyone think of any films that are set in the same time and place a
Posted: 11/29/05 at 12:01am

Thank you for the correction, Margo. 20th-century period stuff is not my strong point.... And Laughter on the 23rd Floor is one I had forgotten about.

"We are all misfits, I guess, in the theatre. Otherwise we wouldn't be here." ~Michael Kandel, "Ogre"

ChrisLovesShows Profile Photo
ChrisLovesShows
#11re: Can anyone think of any films that are set in the same time and place a
Posted: 11/29/05 at 12:01am

Look through the Oscars database at Oscars.com. Just a few that I saw from 1958 and 1959:
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Auntie Mame
Gigi
South Pacific
Some Like It Hot
Porgy and Bess

"Do you know ChrisLovesShows?" "Yes. Why, yes he does!"

MargoChanning
#12re: Can anyone think of any films that are set in the same time and place a
Posted: 11/29/05 at 12:15am

The question was about films set in the time and place of the Producers -- New York, 1959 -- not filmed in 1959.

Cat On a Hot Tin Roof is set mid-50s, but in the deep South
Auntie Mame is set in the 1920s through the 1940s
Gigi is set in turn of the century Paris
South Pacific is set during World War II in the south Pacific(1940s)
Some Like It Hot is set during the 1920s in Chicago and Miami
Porgy and Bess is set in Catfish Row (South Carolina) in the 1930s

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 11/29/05 at 12:15 AM

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#13re: Can anyone think of any films that are set in the same time and place a
Posted: 11/29/05 at 12:45am

Thank you all! I'm pretty knowlegeble about film but I was having some trouble with this one......not sure why.

Anyways, Thanks!!!!!!

I thought of another one

A Thousand Clowns!

Videos