Amour

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#0Amour
Posted: 1/31/06 at 3:41pm

I bought this cd just because I love Melissa Errico. And now I think Amour is a masterpiece. Anyone saw this show???

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

muscle23ftl
#1re: Amour
Posted: 2/1/06 at 5:21am

I guess the show was a total flop? no one saw it?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

HOUFlip04 Profile Photo
HOUFlip04
#2re: Amour
Posted: 2/1/06 at 8:55am

I didn't see the show. But I love the CD as well. I'm hoping someone will be doing it around here soon.

This is Harvard, not a stripper bar...

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#3re: Amour
Posted: 2/1/06 at 9:23am

Amour was a pleasant enough show, and I rather enjoyed it. I saw a late preview, and it was still beset by technical difficulties. I recall a woman leaving the theatre loudly dismissing Amour as "sure no HAIRSPRAY"!

joniray
#4re: Amour
Posted: 2/1/06 at 9:47am

I saw the closing performance. I adored it. Found it charming in the best sense of the word. Thought it deserved a much longer run. I wish the producers hadn't pulled the plug on it so quickly. I think it could have found an audience. The audience I was with clearly loved the show, although that is somewhat to be expected in a closing performance.

I walked out a bit irritated at myself that I had waited till the last minute to see it. I would have loved to have seen it again.

jakebloke Profile Photo
jakebloke
#5re: Amour
Posted: 2/1/06 at 10:04am

I saw it twice. Once in previews (I liked it). And then I went opening night because they had tickets at TKTS. I sat across the isle from Stephen Sondheim (which I thought was very cool). At the end he gave a very affectionate applause and ovation. Looked like he really enjoyed it. I obviously enjoyed it enough to see twice. It's a very simple, yet different show. Plus, how can you go wrong with Norm Lewis? Even if he had such a small part.

GetsFan Profile Photo
GetsFan
#6re: Amour
Posted: 2/1/06 at 10:14am

I saw it three times , once in previews, and during it's run including closing night. I loved it. But it was a "small" musical. No gigantic production numbers, no intermission. It's a shame that it was closed so early. I think this show would have gained an audience given enough time. The performances were stellar and it was nominated for several Tonys.

I have the CD and listen to it all the time.

muscle23ftl
#7re: Amour
Posted: 2/2/06 at 5:04am

tnks for the details Getsfan....i didnt know it had no intermission

muscle23ftl
#8re: Amour
Posted: 2/2/06 at 5:04am

I WONDER WHY
I KEEP KILLING ALL MY FLOWERS
THOUGH I WATER THEM FOR HOURS,
STILL THEY SOMEHOW SEEM TO LANGUISH AND DIE.
AND MY PASTRIES ALWAYS BURN.
ALL MY ENTERPRISES TURN INTO DISASTER.
I TRY MY BEST, BUT IT'S ALWAYS MY WORST.
I FED OUR GOLDFISH SO OFTEN THEY BURST.
TRY AS I MAY, ALL MY TULIPS SEEM TO DROOP
AND THIS POOL OF YELLOW GLOOP
IS THE RENMANTS OF A LEMON SOUFFLE.

FROM TONY AWARD NOMINEE MUSICAL "AMOUR".

twogaab2
#9re: Amour
Posted: 2/2/06 at 10:11am

It was one of the most perfect musicals I have ever seen. A real gem of genuine charm and wit. One of the funniest shows of that year, easily. I saw the last performance and left the theater angered that it had not garnered stronger support. Perhaps just too special for the New York reviewers. Charm seems to be a commodity that is not appriciated anymore.

Just my opinion, I may be wrong.

TWOGAAB "A Class Act" will never die!

hushpuppy Profile Photo
hushpuppy
#10re: Amour
Posted: 2/2/06 at 10:19am

Add me to the list of Amour admirers. I too thought it was a little gem of a show. I was charmed from start to finish. I though Malcom Gets was terrific. Too bad it didn't hang on long enough to benefit from its Tony nominations.

'Our whole family shouts. It comes from us livin' so close to the railroad tracks'

#11re: Amour
Posted: 2/2/06 at 10:22am

A lovely little gem. I wish it had run longer. Great cast. Malcolm Gets was sensational and the score is so pretty.

GetsFan Profile Photo
GetsFan
#12re: Amour
Posted: 2/2/06 at 11:20am

"It was one of the most perfect musicals I have ever seen. A real gem of genuine charm and wit. One of the funniest shows of that year, easily. I saw the last performance and left the theater angered that it had not garnered stronger support. Perhaps just too special for the New York reviewers. Charm seems to be a commodity that is not appreciated anymore. "

Right ON! Wish I had said that twogaab2

muscle23ftl
#13re: Amour
Posted: 2/2/06 at 1:50pm

Twogaab...opinions are never wrong...or right, it is an opinion and no one is entitled to say what is "wrong" or "right" or "good" or "bad". Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

zelda Profile Photo
zelda
#14re: Amour
Posted: 2/2/06 at 2:44pm

Errico was dull and boring...even Norm Lewis ..this magnificent performer was boring. the show was dreadful from beginning to end..but even though i dont like errico..she did give it her all as did the rest of the cast.

Roscoe
#15re: Amour
Posted: 2/2/06 at 3:12pm

Amour was amusing enough on its own terms. It really should have played in a smaller, more intimate theatre. The show was grossly overproduced. And the ending didn't quite work. I sat there wondering why someone didn't just come along and chisel him out of that wall.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#16re: Amour
Posted: 2/2/06 at 5:06pm

I think listening to the music on the recording is beautiful...but I can definitely see how seeing the show could be very boring. But I've added "Street Painter's Song" to my repertoire since hearing the great score!

BSoBW3 Profile Photo
BSoBW3
#17re: Amour
Posted: 2/2/06 at 5:16pm

You asked me if I'm seeing someone
I'm ga.....zing out the window

Am I the only one who finds that funny?

The smallest stream is a valent river. It will drown me if it can.

muscle23ftl
#18re: Amour
Posted: 2/2/06 at 5:19pm

i miss Melissa Errico.

BSoBW3 Profile Photo
BSoBW3
#19re: Amour
Posted: 2/2/06 at 5:19pm

She has a concert in two weeks!

muscle23ftl
#20re: Amour
Posted: 2/2/06 at 5:22pm

it's on feb 13th right? it sux i am not gonna be in town. i saw her in "dracula" 3 times though.

BSoBW3 Profile Photo
BSoBW3
#21re: Amour
Posted: 2/2/06 at 5:24pm

I won't be around either. She gives a great concert. So much heart. You can just tell how much she loves singing.

muscle23ftl
#22re: Amour
Posted: 2/2/06 at 5:25pm

honestly...i dont like concerts too much....i want to see her back on Bway. But i would go see her if i were in town.

BSoBW3 Profile Photo
BSoBW3
#23re: Amour
Posted: 2/2/06 at 5:27pm

BTW - Michel Legrand, who wrote Amour, is writing for Melissa's new CD (and concert coming up).

Jud Faginsky
#24re: Amour
Posted: 2/2/06 at 6:47pm

I love the CD to Amour. But I've never seen the show, and sadly I probably never will. It will probably be one of those shows that nobody has ever heard of and goes away. I wish more local theater producers would produce shows like this instead of the fiftieth reincarnation of South Pacific.

Videos