The Human Comedy

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#0The Human Comedy
Posted: 2/20/06 at 4:13pm

I have just become familiar with this musical. The CD is incredible. Galt McDermot is a genius! Beyond the CD booklet and excerpt on the show in Not Since Carrie, I haven't been able to find much information about it. Did anyone get to see this incredible musical on Broadway in 1984? Please share if you did!

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

FranklinShepard-Inc.
#1re: The Human Comedy
Posted: 2/20/06 at 4:17pm

What kind of music did McDermot write for it? Sort of hair-ish? Would you recommend buying it?

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#2re: The Human Comedy
Posted: 2/20/06 at 4:20pm

I saw it on Broadway and remember thinking it was good but overstuffed. Rex Smith was quite good, if I recall correctly.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#3re: The Human Comedy
Posted: 2/20/06 at 4:23pm

I can't get into this CD. I'll have to try to give it another listen.

Dollypop
#4re: The Human Comedy
Posted: 2/20/06 at 4:24pm

Rex Smith wasn't in THE HUMAN COMEDY when I saw it on Broadway. Still, I liked the show quite a bit.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#5re: The Human Comedy
Posted: 2/20/06 at 4:28pm

The music is tribal and organic, and in some ways alike to Hair and Two Gentlemen as well as Dude, but with completely original melodies and musical ideas.
Mef- I can't believe you saw it! Do you remember anything about the actual physical production? Sets?
In his book, Mandelbaum says it was a "magnificent work" and also notes that Frank Rich gave it a good review. Also:
"The musical theatre of the eighties was dominated by such British pop operas as Evita, The Phantom of the Opera, and Les Miserables, it's most unfortunate that The Human Comedy opened and closed on Broadway without anyone noticing that America had produced a work that could rival any of these. It is, in fact, the great American pop opera, yet it sounds no more like the British works than it does a real opera. MacDermot's music, one of the most sophisticated scores of the last decade, combined country, forties swing, and classical lyricism into a wholly unique, original mixture."
I find this all so intriguing...

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#6re: The Human Comedy
Posted: 2/20/06 at 4:30pm

I love the song "I Let Him Kiss Me Once".
I think Rex Smith played Spangler for the whole run...

WSStory Profile Photo
WSStory
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#8re: The Human Comedy
Posted: 2/20/06 at 4:39pm

Aaah, thanks WSStory! I love Joe Papp in it! That's so great.

WChafin Profile Photo
WChafin
#9re: The Human Comedy
Posted: 2/20/06 at 4:55pm

It's an interesting score. Samuel French publishes the full libertto.

http://www.samuelfrench.com/store/product_info.php/products_id/2855?osCsid=04ce1111591b9cd68dd82616677686ea

Some interesting triva. In the reading before it went to the Public Theater, Betty Buckley originated the part of the mother.

Please visit Michael Rupert's MySpace Page includes rare and live performances.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#10re: The Human Comedy
Posted: 2/20/06 at 7:05pm

Interesting about Buckley...

Mandelbaum also calls it "MacDermot's finest score". "Stylistically in a class by itself, it was a beautifully executed adaptation but probably too special a show to have ever succeeded on Broadway."

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#11re: The Human Comedy
Posted: 2/20/06 at 8:24pm

Problem is there are no tracks on the double CD

It is a shame Mac Dermott did not do more & had 2 colossal bombs right after Hair which kind of derailed his budding career

It is amazing the Human Comedy opened off broadway & got great reviews. It reopened on broadway, basically the same show & got trashed. I have an LP of instrumental tracks from Via & a demo of songs from it so I sort of put together a patchwork recording.I also have an LP of a london show he did called Isabel's A Jezebel

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 2/20/06 at 08:24 PM

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#12re: The Human Comedy
Posted: 2/20/06 at 8:40pm

I believe that the Human Comedy CD was rereleased with tracks for the individual songs. I also have the original version, with one long track for both acts, but at one point, I think you were able to exchange the first version for the rerelease. Not sure if that's still the case.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#13re: The Human Comedy
Posted: 2/21/06 at 12:46am

Mr Roxy- Wow. What are the tracks for Via Galactica like? And how does his London show sound?
I wish Encores or Musicals in Mufti or some New York theater company would take on some of these lesser known MacDermot works...

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#14re: The Human Comedy
Posted: 2/21/06 at 10:00pm

*bump*

Did anyone else get to see this show?

Dollypop
#15re: The Human Comedy
Posted: 2/21/06 at 11:43pm

Rex Smith's understudy played Spangler when I saw the show.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Videos