RENT w/The 'Rents

gavrochegirl
#25re: RENT w/The 'Rents
Posted: 3/11/06 at 1:53pm

Excuse me?

So, just because people are straight means that they see RENT with all these negative points?

You're a stupid idiot. I'd add another word in front of idiot, but I can't risk that.

Edited so I don't sound so...selfish, I guess.

What the puck?!
Updated On: 3/11/06 at 01:53 PM

Fantabulous428 Profile Photo
Fantabulous428
#26re: RENT w/The 'Rents
Posted: 3/11/06 at 1:54pm

I'm assuming you joined BWW to pick fights and make an ass out of yourself? Congratulations, you've accomplished your goal.

I recognize the addiction to being alive.
Updated On: 3/11/06 at 01:54 PM

Allie
#27re: RENT w/The 'Rents
Posted: 3/11/06 at 1:56pm

The severe lack of sentence structure coming from stanton is giving me a headache (not to mention the content in said "phrases").

I'll be watching the movie tomorrow night with my mom, who hasn't seen it yet. My dad saw it a couple of weeks ago. He thought it was okay. Well, he didn't fall asleep during the movie, so that's a thumbs up from him, heh. He said it was something he'd see again, because he missed some stuff the first time. But he even knew the characters' names, which almost never happens when he watches movies. I'm proud of him, haha!

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#28re: RENT w/The 'Rents
Posted: 3/11/06 at 1:58pm

Wow! I posted this so late last night, went to bed, and was so glad to see the thread at the top of the board! I thought it'd just sipby the way-side but I'm pleased by everyone's (mostly) herat-felt responses! EXCELLENT!

Not that it matters, but I forgot to add that my parents have very little patience for musicals (or musical movies) so it was also a test of tolerance. I swear, I don't have any idea how I came from my mother's womb -- I am so unlike anyone else in my family. Broadway's my #1 passion and even after several years, my family can't understand that.

"Why're you spending all this money on theatre? How can you afford your trip to New York?" they ask.

Stanton, while I respect your opinions, I'd also ask you not to make too many gross claims on how "most" straight people watch RENT. It's not sound. I believe the straight people you think have these opinions aren't coming to see the musical in the first place. Let's give the larger heterosexual theatre-viewing base the benefit of the doubt, please, because generalizations are insulting, even to me.

I don't want this thread to be a flame-war so anyone involved in the above confrontations, perhaps carry on the conversation in PMs?

All of your stories are awesome and I read each word. Keep them coming! I appreciate the participation!

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#29re: RENT w/The 'Rents
Posted: 3/11/06 at 2:00pm

PMs open the door for hateful profanity that would normally be kept off the boards in hopes of saving face, and I'm not about to deal with that crap.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Allie
#30re: RENT w/The 'Rents
Posted: 3/11/06 at 2:01pm

Oooh, I was going to say that my dad claims this is very first movie musical: "But don't think that's means I'll watch any more with you!"

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#31re: RENT w/The 'Rents
Posted: 3/11/06 at 2:03pm

The public reading this board doesn't want to deal with that crap either. While you may not have started it, perhaps you should take the steps to end it?

Because I am not appreciating the direction this thread it going. Please read the title and theme of the thread your are commenting in and ask if it is an appropriate place to carry on. I'm finding it disrespectful for both myself and the readers who are genuinely interested in people's stories.

I wanted to show this thread to my parents this afternoon. Now I can't.
Updated On: 3/11/06 at 02:03 PM

luvtheEmcee
#32re: RENT w/The 'Rents
Posted: 3/11/06 at 2:07pm

Hey, unless provoked again, I'm done. Do you see me continuing it? Relax. I don't enjoy it. I'm sorry that you can't control where the dicussion goes, but... it happens. I'm supposed to feel badly that now you can't show it to your parents? I didn't start this! Wait. I'll PM you.

Back to heartfelt happiness, by all means.

Updated On: 3/11/06 at 02:07 PM

gavrochegirl
#33re: RENT w/The 'Rents
Posted: 3/11/06 at 2:07pm

Well, come on...stanton started the flame, not us.

What the puck?!

CanadianSnowbird Profile Photo
CanadianSnowbird
#34re: RENT w/The 'Rents
Posted: 3/11/06 at 2:19pm

*sneezes*

stanton
#35re: RENT w/The 'Rents
Posted: 3/11/06 at 2:21pm

I am so sorry for the bad vibe I sent. That was not what I wanted to do. Please trust me on that. Its just that most of the
straight people (the gay bashers) only seem to see the negative. That is what I was trying to put out there. That what I was trying to say. So please forgive me.

I wish I could sing.

luvtheEmcee
#36re: RENT w/The 'Rents
Posted: 3/11/06 at 2:23pm

You should choose your words more carefully next time.

You apologize and then continue to say that most people are gay bashers.

*headwall*

I don't need a backhanded apology.

Updated On: 3/11/06 at 02:23 PM

gavrochegirl
#37re: RENT w/The 'Rents
Posted: 3/11/06 at 2:23pm

I was just going to say...

What the puck?!

Dancinqueen123 Profile Photo
Dancinqueen123
#38re: RENT w/The 'Rents
Posted: 3/11/06 at 2:25pm

Getting back on topic: I watched Rent with my mom last night. I asked her if she liked it and she says a whole bunch of things that went something like this
"Yeah it was ok. I thought the ending was kind of stupid though. Why don't we find out what happens to everyone? I didn't really understand Mark's character. Why is he there? I'm surprised that this got a PG-13 rating. That Adam Pascal guy you always talk about is really cute. Yeah I liked it, it just wasn't the type of movie that I usally watch."

<--Sometimes it's easier to get out of a jam than into one

ozdustgirl2 Profile Photo
ozdustgirl2
#39re: RENT w/The 'Rents
Posted: 3/11/06 at 2:26pm

I am straight, but I really love the material of RENT, I had seen it twice on Broadway before the movie came out and I was super excited for the movie. I took my mom with me the second time I saw the movie, and although she wasnt super excited like me she went because she knew how much it meant to me and she actually liked most of it and went back with me again, then when the touring production came to Cleveland in February she told me to get tickets cause she wanted to see the stage version, I also took my sister and Dad to see the stage production, and my dad was a little less then thrilled, he didnt like how loud the music was and said he couldnt understand it because they were screaming, I have yet to watch the movie with him, but coming from the country being a farmer my entire life, this is not a typical show for people in my area to enjoy yet, we have been able to enjoy RENT as a family.

"There are times when were dirt broke, and hungry and freezing and I ask myself why the hell am I still living here?...And then they call!" ~ Mark Cohen RENT movie

luvtheEmcee
#40re: RENT w/The 'Rents
Posted: 3/11/06 at 2:26pm

Dancinqueen, I think I asked this on the OT board, but I'm not sure if you saw it.

When your mom says that the ending is unresolved, does she mean she just didn't like it or that she liked it enough to wonder what happens to them after?

Just curious. re: RENT w/The 'Rents

Updated On: 3/11/06 at 02:26 PM

CanadianSnowbird Profile Photo
CanadianSnowbird
#41re: RENT w/The 'Rents
Posted: 3/11/06 at 2:33pm

I watched it with my dad a couple of weeks ago. Out of my parents, he is the most *uncomfortable* (for lack of a better word) with gay themes. He loves musicals, and I told him I wanted to share this with him. I didn't care if he liked it or not, I just wanted him to see it. At the end of ICY when Angel and Collins kiss, he went "hmm", not in a bad way. It seemed to me that he was surprised at how I guess unoffensive (again I can't really find the right word) it was to him. He really enjoyed the movie. He was even tapping a long to the songs, a good sign with him. Overall he enjoyed it, and I think that surprised him.

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#42re: RENT w/The 'Rents
Posted: 3/11/06 at 2:43pm

My dad called me while he was watching the movie on DVD to tell me that he thought it was terrible. I asked him what he didn't like about it, and he said, "They just keep on singing! Do they stop?" "It's a movie-musical, Dad." He says he doesn't have a problem with people being gay, but he is one of those horribly frustrating selectively homophobic people who thinks that the idea of gay men having sex is disgusting, but is fine with lesbians. He wasn't that far into the movie when he called me, so I'll have to ask him sometime what he thought of the rest of it (assuming that he watched the rest). Some of the drug use issues might've hit a bit close to home for him.

I took my mother and my aunt to see the movie with me in theaters. My mom adores "Seasons of Love" and has since the musical first came out, and she was actually really excited to see the movie. She and my aunt both said that they liked it afterward, but didn't seem even remotely as moved as I was or I had hoped that they'd be. I was really disappointed in their reactions. I took my aunt to see the stage show this week, and she totally loved it and was obviously way more into it than the movie. I don't think that that's the fault of the movie, necessarily, I just think that for most people seeing a live production packs more emotional impact than passively watching something on screen.

Dancinqueen123 Profile Photo
Dancinqueen123
#43re: RENT w/The 'Rents
Posted: 3/11/06 at 2:44pm

Em- my mom says that the ending was good, she just thought it was stupid that we don't know what happens to everyone after that.

<--Sometimes it's easier to get out of a jam than into one

craig238
#44re: RENT w/The 'Rents
Posted: 3/11/06 at 2:49pm

I did not like the movie the first time I saw it but 'kinda' liked the music. Bought the soundtrack and started to really enjoy the music. Bought the DVD and really like the music and enjoyed the movie 5 times more than the first time. I watched it with my 10 year old daughter and after answering 20 questions during the first 20 minutes, I paused the movie, explained who every character was and what their 'problems' were (and I don't mean being gay or having aids is a 'problem' - I am sure you know what I mean), and now she has watched it 3 times over the last 2 days and loves both the music AND the story (and UNDERSTANDS it) and we are going to see the show on Broadway in April !!

renthead2
#45re: RENT w/The 'Rents
Posted: 3/11/06 at 2:56pm

.....I wish I had a dad like you....... I'm 19...I forced my parents to watch this movie with me....they watched it, and liked it.....but they won't watch it with me again.

LiteMyCandlePhantom?
#46re: RENT w/The 'Rents
Posted: 3/11/06 at 3:00pm

My Parents are the ones who actually got me into Rent after seeing Manley Pope perform "One Song Glory" at a Marfan benfit.The are very liberal.

I first went to see Rent at a screening a few weeks before it opened with my father and my aunt. My father had the same feeling for it as I had. We both absolutely loved it and had the same thoughts on it.(I still was a little mad at some changes)We cried and we couldn't stop talking about for weeks until my mother saw it. The moment Seasons Of Love began my mother began to cry just as I had.I was very glad my parents are very open minded to the movie. They even listen to the soundtrack 24/7 and they actually have gotten some of their friends in to it.

Rent even affected my father when he want into surgery this pass January. All he kept talking about was the end of the movie when Mimi came back to life and how there truly is NO DAY BUT TODAY!

Now all I have to do is get all my friends into it. Oh wait most of them are.lol.

"Men hate the things they fear and they fear those things which they do not understand" Susan Kay's Phantom.

alli2
#47re: RENT w/The 'Rents
Posted: 3/11/06 at 3:29pm

I guess I've always been really lucky with having semi-liberal parents (even though my mom now says she's a borderline conservative sometimes).

The first time I saw Rent on Broadway, my mom played lotto and won, and saw the show from the front row and LOVED it and saw it probably 5 or 6 more times through out my years of being a Renthead. My dad finally got around to seeing with me in 2002 and he liked it very much as well. When I went home for Thanksgiving this year, my mom and I went to see the movie and she LOVED it, she was raving and thought they did a wonderful job.

pengwendolyn
#48re: RENT w/The 'Rents
Posted: 3/11/06 at 3:56pm

I got my mom to watch the movie, she didn't really seem to dislike it... or really like it. It's weird, she watched it because I told her she was going to, and because one of her old coworkers and his partner told her to when we ran into them one night. I think she enjoyed Jesse L. Martin in it, but at one point (Before I'll Cover You) was like "is he going out with... him... her?" and then I'll Cover You came on and she was like "oh, okay than". But I don't think that I'll be comvincing her to take me to see it on Broadway anytime soon, but I am glad she watched the movie.

Backbeat the word is on the street that the fire in your heart is out

guitargeek0624 Profile Photo
guitargeek0624
#49re: RENT w/The 'Rents
Posted: 3/11/06 at 4:29pm

I'm not gay, but meh, might as well jump on the bandwagon. re: RENT w/The 'Rents

I'd seen the movie two times before I finally took my mom to see it. Now my parents are pretty open-minded (they encouraged me to watch Animal House when I was 11/12, so there you go), so I expected my mom to like it. At certain parts that mentioned drugs, etc., especially in "One Song Glory" when April is about to shoot up, and during La Vie Boheme, she would go, "Oy vey." After La Vie Boheme, she fell asleep. XD

When the movie was over, and we were driving home, we were talking about it, and I explained the end to her since she missed it. She said, "I don't feel bad for that girl [Mimi]. She did drugs so she had it coming." Then she went on to lecture me about drugs and alcohol.

So, that was my wonderful experience taking my 'rent to see Rent. Well, my mom, a friend, and I are seeing the show tomorrow, and it'll be my mom's first time seeing it, so maybe she'll like the stage show.

"A little rebellion, now and then, is a good thing." - Thomas Jefferson
Updated On: 3/11/06 at 04:29 PM

Videos