Wicked witch of the east

Sparklesss Profile Photo
Sparklesss
#0Wicked witch of the east
Posted: 4/15/06 at 6:08pm

Does anyone know why this song wasn't included on the OBC recording? I'm assuming that it is because it's a lot of talking and pieces of singing vs. a full song...i wish it was on there, i really like it!

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#1re: Wicked witch of the east
Posted: 4/15/06 at 6:08pm

It also gives a lot of the plot away. It really wouldn't make much of a track either.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#2re: Wicked witch of the east
Posted: 4/15/06 at 6:12pm

I wish they had included it too. It's actually my favorite song in the show.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Joshua488
#3re: Wicked witch of the east
Posted: 4/15/06 at 6:12pm

There isn't a lot of singing; it's a scene with mostly dialogue. Also, as blaxx said, it does give away a chunk of the plot, so if you had listened to the cast recording before seeing the show, it would have been spoiled for you.

Sparklesss Profile Photo
Sparklesss
#4re: Wicked witch of the east
Posted: 4/15/06 at 6:13pm

That's true about giving away the plot...I think it's kinda neat how a lot of broadway recordings kinda explain the story and you can follow from the cd...WICKED does a bit (Fieyro and Glinda then Elphie etc.) but there is SO MUCH MORE when you see the play...still, i wish they had somehow included it.:)

JustChillin8908
#5re: Wicked witch of the east
Posted: 4/15/06 at 6:18pm

I was looking forward to this song when I went to see it my first time in Chicago a week ago because 1. it isn't on the Cast Recording and 2. because people seem to like it a lot. I was really dissapointed and didn't even realize I was listening to the song until she said Wicked Witch of the East because there was so much talking. I don't even know if I'd consider it a song.

greenifyed Profile Photo
greenifyed
#6re: Wicked witch of the east
Posted: 4/15/06 at 7:58pm

On the flip side, I think it's a wonderful surprise to people who have heard the cast recording before they've seen the show. It's such a "beautifully tragic" moment in the show, and most people seem to like it very much.

"The tick BOOM tick BOOM is so loud I can't hear the rain on the grass. I can't hear the wind. I'm about to scream. But I realize I'm not alone."

missyrose87
#7re: Wicked witch of the east
Posted: 4/15/06 at 9:47pm

This song was not in the original score- it was added after the San Fran preview- and by then the cd was already made.

Broadway_Boy
#8re: Wicked witch of the east
Posted: 4/15/06 at 9:55pm

No ur wrong im not trying to be rude but the ONLY reason it wasn't on the cd was because it gave too much of the story away.

Check out the app Todaytix if you haven't already for theatre tickets around the world. My referral code is DGHVR
Updated On: 4/15/06 at 09:55 PM

dancersmom2 Profile Photo
dancersmom2
#9re: Wicked witch of the east
Posted: 4/15/06 at 10:26pm

The OBC recording was done in November 2003 after the show opened at the Gershwin October 30, 2003, so the omission has nothing to do with the SF tryout. I have always heard the reasons were as stated above--too much dialogue and too many spoilers.
Photos from the recording session

Sparklesss Profile Photo
Sparklesss
#10re: Wicked witch of the east
Posted: 4/15/06 at 10:34pm

haha love that "beautifully tragic" comment :)

Videos