pixeltracker

I'll Admit It. I Liked 'Ring Of Fire.'

I'll Admit It. I Liked 'Ring Of Fire.'

LightMyCandle Profile Photo
LightMyCandle
#0I'll Admit It. I Liked 'Ring Of Fire.'
Posted: 4/19/06 at 12:11am

Okay. Before you rocket the tomatoes at my face and start teasing and laughing, can I just ask if there was anything that anyone saw as redeeming about it? And not the end or intermission, please.

I was really impressed with "I've Been Everywhere." All of the cast on the guitar? I thought it was pretty neat. Now, I read several reviews with people complaining that it had no point and it talked nothing of his life or who he was when he wrote this or it didn't delve deep enough into the world of Johnny Cash, but I don't understand that gripe.

On the heels of 'Walk The Line,' would that have been acceptable? Wasn't it enough to just review his songs in all of their glory and try to keep them alive today? There were songs in there that I remember hearing as a little girl when my father would play them that I hadn't heard since then. I thought it was really wonderful.

I took my sister, a hug Cash enthusiast since she knew what country music was, and it was her first Broadway show and she just had a blast. Maybe that had a lot to do with my enjoyment of it- she did look like she was really having fun- but even still, I thought it was a money well spent. Not to mention how incredibly friendly the cast was at the door.

Did anyone like it? At all? Besides me?

i'm a tough act to follow because when i'm done i take the microphone with me.

nomdeplume
#1re: I'll Admit It. I Liked 'Ring Of Fire.'
Posted: 4/19/06 at 12:14am

Yes, I liked it, too.

A lot of talent in the cast. Loved the fiddler.

FeelingElectric
#2re: I'll Admit It. I Liked 'Ring Of Fire.'
Posted: 4/19/06 at 8:38am

I loved it too. There is a lot of energy in that show. I thought Beth Malone was incredible.

Drench yourself in words unspoken. Live your life with arms wide open. Today is where your book begins. The rest is still unwritten. "Unwritten" Natasha Bedingfield

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#3re: I'll Admit It. I Liked 'Ring Of Fire.'
Posted: 4/19/06 at 9:01am

Just out of curiosity, how many people were at the stage door besides you and your sister? When I stage doored RoF, I was one of three people waiting on a Saturday afternoon.

#4re: I'll Admit It. I Liked 'Ring Of Fire.'
Posted: 4/19/06 at 9:08am

The first time I saw Ring I was in the last row of mezz and hated the show. The seats were awful and the show had no book--I was bored silly. Then I rec'd free tix for orchestra and went again (against my better(?) judgement). This time I knew what to expect and actually loved it! The talent (which I did appreciate the first time) was amazing---both singing and instrumental. The energy is infectious! I definitely think the better seating helped also.
I just saw Ring of Fire advertised on TV about 1/2 hour ago---NBC---first time I saw it. I guess the low box office receipts are the reason they're pulling out all the stops to try to save this show. I really hope it makes it a while longer----it's a lot of fun.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#5re: I'll Admit It. I Liked 'Ring Of Fire.'
Posted: 4/19/06 at 9:11am

I must admit that, last wednesday - a friend and I got free tickets through equity, and I actually enjoyed the music a lot (and I am NOT a country fan)...the performances were really good, the band was awesome, and since I went in with no expectations other than to see a concert of his music - I had a good time (though my friend hated it and insisted we leave at intermission). There is no story whatsoever, but each song has it's own individual story, so it worked for me. I especially loved the comic number sung by Cass in the first act in the Grand Ol Opry section = she was hilarious.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

nomdeplume
#6re: I'll Admit It. I Liked 'Ring Of Fire.'
Posted: 4/19/06 at 1:40pm

Too bad you didn't see the second half, redhot.

It's even funner than the first.

Go again on your own if you get the chance as you will appreciate it.

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#7re: I'll Admit It. I Liked 'Ring Of Fire.'
Posted: 4/19/06 at 2:24pm

I liked one song, Daddy Sang Bass. But I hated the show.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#8re: I'll Admit It. I Liked 'Ring Of Fire.'
Posted: 4/19/06 at 4:41pm

I loved the performances, loved the orchestrations, loved the music. And I never knew Johnny's music.

Hated the screens and hated the loose plot thread. I know it's a revue, but it seemed so non-commital on how far they wanted the thread to veer toward Johnny's life. And the jailhouse centerpiece of Act Two was waaay too long.

But I would definitely see it again. And buy the CD in a second. There are some brilliant moments despite the cracks.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Bdwy24
#9re: I'll Admit It. I Liked 'Ring Of Fire.'
Posted: 4/19/06 at 4:52pm

Although I saw it in Buffalo and not on Broadway. I LOVED it. =) and so did all the rest of the sold out audiences.

lancerpanz
#10re: I'll Admit It. I Liked 'Ring Of Fire.'
Posted: 4/20/06 at 12:55am

I just saw the Wednesday 4/19 matinee and had a great time, I went in there with an open mind and it turned out to be fun. Beth Malone's voice is a PLEASURE to listen to.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#11re: I'll Admit It. I Liked 'Ring Of Fire.'
Posted: 4/20/06 at 12:59am

The cast is extremely talented, there's no denying that. But this show made THE BLONDE IN THE THUNDERBIRD look like Shakespeare. It definately rates right up there with some of the absolute worst "theatre" I've ever suffered through and I've seen my share...

LightMyCandle Profile Photo
LightMyCandle
#12re: I'll Admit It. I Liked 'Ring Of Fire.'
Posted: 4/20/06 at 3:21am

Beth Malone is fantastic. I was floored.

WithoutATrace- I went with my sister to the matinee this past Saturday and there were about four other people besides myself. I think two of them were family of Beth's and then there were two very excited middle aged women with their paws all over the young men in the cast; giggling and begging for pictures. The cast was so sweet when they chatted with us for a while. One of them even commented, "You waited for us? Don't you want to sneak over in line across the street for Broderick or Nathan Lane?" I thought it was cute.

i'm a tough act to follow because when i'm done i take the microphone with me.

Josh Freilich
#13re: I'll Admit It. I Liked 'Ring Of Fire.'
Posted: 4/22/06 at 7:36pm

I liked it a LOT.

I'm a big fan of all kinds of music, so I would definitely like this show. And I did. I would gladly see it again. I could be in that show. Maybe I could play Randy's part, but I need to play guitar.

What I think was my favorite number is "I've Been Everywhere". We all know it's hard to memorize all the city names by yourself, but it's even harder to have everybody on guitar singing every name one word at a time lickety-split. They pulled that off surprisingly well. In fact, excellent. My other favorite numbers were those upbeat numbers in which everybody was jamming ("Daddy Sang Bass," "Hey Porter," "Entr'acte") and others.

I love the "ride this train" transition, and how the train whistles eventually end up taking us to "Folsom Prison." Nice directing there, Mr. Maltby. Keep up the good work.

"How could she just suddenly, completely disappear into thin water?" - The Little Mermaid

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#14re: I'll Admit It. I Liked 'Ring Of Fire.'
Posted: 4/22/06 at 8:25pm

It's possible to enjoy it, but to think it's good theatre? Well, that's a frightening matter.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

nomdeplume
#15re: I'll Admit It. I Liked 'Ring Of Fire.'
Posted: 4/22/06 at 9:51pm

One thing I admire about this show is that it doesn't pretend that life is all fun and games.

It has melancholy songs and songs about people in need and even a song concerning the loss of a spouse.

It's a very human and down to earth show.

Runner1B
#16re: I'll Admit It. I Liked 'Ring Of Fire.'
Posted: 4/22/06 at 11:02pm

You liked it--alot--that's nothing to be ashamed of. I liked it, too!

Is it true that "Grey Gardens" is circling the Barrymore for a June transfer??

Videos