pixeltracker

Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current "Sweeney Todd"- Page 4

Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current "Sweeney Todd"

#75re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/26/06 at 12:37pm

Although I am a HUUUUGE Wicked fan, I think it was reallllly tacky of Mr. Schwartz to do that. I mean come on? I could understand if it was a high school show or something, but these are professionals putting on a professional show.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#76re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/26/06 at 12:47pm

**Claps wildly for Pippin**

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#77re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/26/06 at 12:54pm

C'mon, who really cares if he didn't like the show/had an emergency and left? Everyone is entitled to their opinion!

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#78re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/26/06 at 1:12pm

Actually Pippin, wasn't there like a huge debate on this board alone when LaChiusa published that article? And a rebuttal from Marc Shaiman? I believe there was even an article in the New York Times.

yr ronin,
joey

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#79re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/26/06 at 1:22pm

joey, yes, from what I remember there was a big blowup from that, but I am focusing on the personal and mean spirited attacks, and that didn't happen that much in the LaChiusa-Shaiman case, at least not as much as it is happening here.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

smartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
#80re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/26/06 at 1:38pm

I do think there were some personal attacks involved in that one as well. Shaiman fans came down VERY hard on LaChiusa, and the backlash continued back and forth for months. Unfortunately it is part of the nature of this beast, posting about our loves and hates that sometimes people take it too far.

In this there are several considerations:
Schartz has ever right to hate whatever show he wants, and leave. (as long as it is not in the middle of a the act, which I would say deserves derision)
It is the case though that someone in his position is going to be held to a higher standard- his leaving the show "means" more than if I were to. He is making a statement, whether he means to or not. Especially if he mentions it to the press.

Personal attacks are out of bounds, translating something like this into a destruction of Schwartz in general is ridiculous. He has contributed greatly to the art form. His work conforms to his taste, and the taste of his fans, and just like everyone else he has great support and vicious detractors.

It seems perfectly acceptable though to debate why he may have left (yes it is speculation, as many things discussed here are) and to make personal judgements on whether someone in his position should do such a thing.

Doyle fans will defend the current Sweeney, and they should. It does not make them right and Schartz wrong.

I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#81re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/26/06 at 1:42pm

I think that whole thing was pretty mean spirited from the very beginning.

I agree though. The attacks on Schwartz's character are strange and unwarranted. I honestly wouldn't sweat it though. I bet the guy could really care less. He does, after all, work in the entertainment industry. Slander comes with the territory. Maybe I'll pop in Pippin to show my solidarity :P But not Children of Eden. I have the right to my opinions, after all!

Usually the "Oh my god you guys are so mean" posts kind of annoy me, but I agree. I'm trying to be less mean myself. Sometimes, it's just plain ridiculous.

yr ronin,
joey

smartpenguin78
#82re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/26/06 at 1:44pm

I agree Ronin.
I am as mean as the next person when it comes to some of these things, but there need to be some limits.

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#83re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/26/06 at 4:55pm

I don't dislike you DG but I think that the statement you just made speaks more about your character than any character assassination perpetrated by another person every could.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#84re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/26/06 at 6:13pm

People on this message board (and thread) crack me up! If this was a Sondheim walked out during intermission of WOMAN IN WHITE, people would have been like, "Well, it was a sucky show and I would have walked out too" and whatnot and then it would have become one big joke and bashing of Webber. But, because it is Shwartz walking out of SWEENEY TODD, there is an uproar. None of us know the situation at hand on why he left, so it could have been something legit. I just hate hypocritical people.

And this was not directed to anyone in particular, I was just making an overall point.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

DG
#85re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/26/06 at 6:28pm

Sum - just trying to make sure it all doesn't devolve into pixie sticks and fairy dust - I'd hate for you to be bored.

Sumofallthings
#86re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/26/06 at 7:32pm

Thanks. Maybe those talents are better suited to the Off-Topic board.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

DG
#87re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/26/06 at 9:07pm

Alright Sum, you win. I have edited the offending posts so that any threat of the thread being deleted is removed.

For the record, I still think both of those posters stepped over the line, but their words can speak for themselves. And if I'm the only one who thinks it's too much, then so be it.

Isabella2
#88re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/26/06 at 9:21pm

i feel like a bitch, i take everything back. this thread is very useless.

Sumofallthings
#89re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/26/06 at 9:59pm

I think both the posters were rude and neither of them really made a very good point at all either.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#90re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/26/06 at 10:09pm

So I didn't know about the whole leaving during the show thing. Did Schwartz ever see the entire production? If not, I don't think it's very fair to give a take on it that he knows will obviously be debated.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

smartpenguin78
#91re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/26/06 at 10:25pm

There would certainly be people who would deride Sondheim if he walked out of Wicked as, just as there are others who would wildly support him.

As public figures and ones who particular in this art the actions of either man are subject to great scrutiny. Especially such a reaction as walking out of a show.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#92re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/26/06 at 11:31pm

You're right Schwartz has every right to give opinion.

My opinion -

Godspell - music is 60's crap
Pippin - 60's crap
bakers wiofe - 60's crap
Wicked - Crap

Sondheim - Amazing
Schwartz - Crap

Updated On: 4/26/06 at 11:31 PM

JerseyScoundrel
#93re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/29/06 at 7:03pm

You said it South FL.

"This is a stupid story. It never stops. But we keep making lemonade! We're opening the biggest f***ing lemonade stand you ever saw!" -Walter Bobbie after a long day of Sweet Charity Rehersals (Newyorkmetro.com)

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#94re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/29/06 at 7:32pm

Can't say I know why Stephen walked out nor do I care, or to pass judgement on him over this. I know too many people who love(ed) working with him. I also spent enough time talking with him pre-WICKED fame to say, I really like him too.

I'm with Stephen. Not that impressed with this Sweeney either.

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"
Updated On: 4/29/06 at 07:32 PM

Chrysanthemum62001
#95re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/29/06 at 8:38pm

Wow. Seriously, who cares?

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#96re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/29/06 at 8:47pm

I'm a HUGE fan of Wicked but, i think Stephen wouldn't have said that pre-Wicked. I think he thinks he's so cool now just because of Wicked.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#97re: Stephen Schwartz isn't crazy about current 'Sweeney Todd'
Posted: 4/29/06 at 8:53pm

Here's what I think:

I think, that since none of you really know why he walked out during intermission, you should all just keep out of it. Secondly, WHO CARES if he didn't like the show? It's his opinion, and this is a free country. Everyone has the right to an opinion.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler