pixeltracker

Shows that left you in a mess of tears, unable to breathe nor stand up, and sobbing like a bitch?- Page 9

Shows that left you in a mess of tears, unable to breathe nor stand up, and sobbing like a bitch?

circusliz Profile Photo
circusliz
#200crying
Posted: 8/8/06 at 5:38pm

A production of The Diary of Anne Frank at Illinois State U.

As a jewish female who's had the book/play essentially shoved down her throat since she 8, I am usually fairly numb to this story (although certainly not to the millions of lives it stands for). But I think this production was using the revised script from the 1997 revival. At the end of the show, Anne runs from the SS to grab her diary. Her father goes after her, but the SS stop him with a gun to his head.

My dad and I are very close, and with this scene I suddenly, and for the first time, imagined myself in Anne's place, with someone holding a gun to my dad's head. I freaked...

Even after all this time, it still gives me the chills.

On the road of life, do not pause for suicidal chipmunks who freeze in your headlights, seeking death by your tires...

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#201crying
Posted: 8/8/06 at 5:58pm

This guy (I can't remember his name) did an off-broadway short one of The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas. It was him telling that story and weaving in a story about a kid with AIDS. I never got to see him do it Off-Broadway but he came to my school and I was absolutely hysterical. He made even the tough kids who would never expect to cry go weak at the knees.

Bare: A Pop Opera. I say this all the time. I've never even seen the show live, but every time I listen to the music or watch the video I cry like a baby.

And of course Rent. I start crying at Without You and sob through I'll Cover You (reprise), stop, and then start up again at Your Eyes.

And I sobbed on Wicked's last night in Boston knowing I would never experience the same thing again.

latheatrelover
#202crying
Posted: 8/8/06 at 6:04pm

Well, I remember this one show...finding out I paid full price and the person next to me paid half.

GreenGirl22406 Profile Photo
GreenGirl22406
#203crying
Posted: 8/8/06 at 6:34pm

Almost all of the emotional numbers in rent, for good and finale in wicked, and, oddly enough, in DRS the scene where freddy comes back to find the hotel room empty (i was a little depressed at the fact that norbert wasn't there, maybe that's why i started sobbing). the shoving-the-candlestick-down-the-pants thing kinda ruined it, though.

"In the rain, the pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river
In the darkness, the trees are full of starlight
And all I see is him and me forever and forever."

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#204crying
Posted: 8/9/06 at 12:54am

Jacques Brel tonight.
Sobbed through most of Act 2.
Damn them and their talent and their powerful material!

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#206crying
Posted: 8/9/06 at 2:41am

"More recently, when i watched the alternate ending of the RENT film, when they come back to the stage with the empty spotlight, I was blown away, and then Angel enters and I wept even more.
Oh, the power of the theatre!"

JBSinger - I started to lose it, too, but when Angel re-appeared, it went away some. I think it might have been even stronger if it was just an empty space or a stool with drumstricks on it instead of bringing him back.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

nomdeplume
#207crying
Posted: 8/9/06 at 2:48am

It's usually the performance of the particular actor that makes me cry, though sometimes music is a big part of it.

I think it's a very cleansing experience.
Updated On: 8/9/06 at 02:48 AM

Janelle188
#208crying
Posted: 8/9/06 at 2:50am

The Last 5 Years (the recording), Miss Saigon (both times I saw it) and Ragtime.

"More recently, when i watched the alternate ending of the RENT film, when they come back to the stage with the empty spotlight, I was blown away, and then Angel enters and I wept even more.
Oh, the power of the theatre!"

Me, too!! I really wish they had gone with that ending instead!

AshleyBrownFan123 Profile Photo
AshleyBrownFan123
#209crying
Posted: 8/9/06 at 12:35pm

Rent-when Angel dies
Little Women

Let us milk the cow that is theatre-Monica Trausch

WhoPaintedTheKitten? Profile Photo
WhoPaintedTheKitten?
#210crying
Posted: 8/9/06 at 6:12pm

How come so many people on this board find Sweeney Todd so emotional to watch? (This isn't a critisism, I'm just wondering)

"...if you rearrange the letters in the word unemployed, it spells OPPORTUNITY!" - Gary Coleman, Ave. Q
Updated On: 8/9/06 at 06:12 PM

GodIHopeIGetIt Profile Photo
GodIHopeIGetIt
#211crying
Posted: 8/9/06 at 6:23pm

Um... I left Rent (with the ORIGINAL CAST, mind you) in a complete mess... Chorus Line, Light in the Piazza, Sunday (just because of the music)... I was a wreck all through Rent's 10th anniversary (don't kill me). Though I think that Bernadette's 'Rose's Turn' really broke some sort of record for crying in a show.

Sometimes I'm usually moved to tears by phenominal moments. When the music builds, usually. In ACL - the Music and the Mirror, and oddly enough, the Drowsy Chaperone.

I think the most I cried was in Lestat, and of course, that was for fear of the future of the American Musical.

I'm not a person who's usually emotional... but theater just comes in touch with your soul. The characters are letting you in, and showing you themselves and their world. Somehow, that hits something for me.

GoodbyeMyLover Profile Photo
GoodbyeMyLover
#212crying
Posted: 8/9/06 at 7:04pm

i cry in everything.

at the end of aida,

everything in les mis.

rent i cried a lot

name a show i will cry in it.

"Hollywood is a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul." - Marilyn Monroe

Tirso de Molina
#213crying
Posted: 8/9/06 at 10:04pm

THE NORMAL HEART in the Public Theater revival with Raul Esparza. The audience sobbing during the deathbed scene was so loud that the actors had to raise their voices to be heard. I've never seen an entire audience so collectively wrenched by a performance.

"Sweet summer evenings, hot wine and bread / Sharing your supper, sharing your bed / Simple joys have a simple voice: It says why not go ahead?"

to wherever
#214crying
Posted: 8/9/06 at 10:06pm

"i cry in everything."

Same here. I even cried during Spelling Bee. lol.

cac1015
#215crying
Posted: 8/9/06 at 11:21pm

I saw A NERVOUS SMILE 7/29. I have never seen another piece of theater like it. And Amy Brenneman was flawless in it. It was an incredible show...so moving. SO sad to think those things really happen...

shortshorts
#216crying
Posted: 8/10/06 at 9:32am

Les Mis, especially when the Bishop gave Valjean the candlesticks.

Ragtime.

philcrosby
#217crying
Posted: 8/10/06 at 9:49am

The London production of INTO THE WOODS. From where the cuckoo clock set "exploded" at the end of "Last Midnight" through the end of the show.

The finale of the CABARET revival. A brilliant coup de theatre.

JailyardGuy Profile Photo
JailyardGuy
#218crying
Posted: 8/10/06 at 10:04am

I cry a lot, but some particularly memorable moments were Dessa Rose (from about 30 seconds into the opening number to about 15 minutes after the show ended, i was a disaster); the first time I saw Aida (in San Francisco...Simone and Kelly Fournier KILLED ME); I actually got really emotional near the end of [title of show]; and I nearly had to be COMMITTED after I saw Les Miserable for the first time, lo those many years ago.

Suzanne: I never use catalogs. I'd rather go in the store and see all the salespeople groveling and sucking up to you. Julia: Pardon me, I never knew they were so solicitous at the K-Mart.

dramaqueen3
#219crying
Posted: 8/10/06 at 11:31am

West Side Story gets me every time.
Rent.
Les Miz.

*the choice may have been mistaken, but choosing was not*

Mattbrain
#220crying
Posted: 8/10/06 at 1:54pm

As we speak, I am listening to my copy of Bright Lights, Big City. The third reprise of Brother is making me well up.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#221crying
Posted: 8/10/06 at 2:05pm

Actually, a lot of shows have left me in that condition - but then again, I wear my heart on my sleeve, so I'm an easy mark.
Most recently, The Light In The Piazza did it to me, and I'll never forget the night I saw Parade - I wept for about an hour straight. I love shows that do that to me.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

SpellRENT777
#222crying
Posted: 8/10/06 at 3:10pm

I saw RENT again last night and it still gets me! I always get the most incredible chills during the opening song. Will I? really hit me this time and Ms. Smith's Out Tonight got me all teared up. She is just too good! Then, during I'll Cover You (Reprise) I literally forgot to breath and i was almost afraid of dieing! Also, during the line "You always said how lucky you were that we were all friends, but it was us baby, who were the lucky ones," i started completely bawling! And of course, I just completely lost it at the end. I started at Your Eyes and didnt stop until they left the stage. It is such a powerful and real show!

Danielm
#223crying
Posted: 8/10/06 at 3:41pm

Floyd Collins.

Yes, we do need a third vampire musical.--Little Sally, Gypsy of the Year 2005.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#224crying
Posted: 8/10/06 at 10:25pm

Martin Short: Fame Becomes ME, just because there were some moments that made me laugh so hard I cried. He can be so frickin' random sometimes, and his Jiminy Glick is so funny, especially with Chris Noth last night as the "surprise" guest.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

pianodude
#225crying
Posted: 8/10/06 at 11:44pm

Side Show: "Who Will Love Me As I Am?" is such a powerful song to end Act I...it made me numb. Act II is a killer for me. "Private Conversation" when the twins seperate in Terry's mind. The whole wedding situation through the end. The finale is so haunting.