pixeltracker

Les Mis tour in Dallas 6/21/06 **Updated with Review

Les Mis tour in Dallas 6/21/06 **Updated with Review

willact4food Profile Photo
willact4food
#0Les Mis tour in Dallas 6/21/06 **Updated with Review
Posted: 6/21/06 at 7:15pm

I saw the June 21, 2006 evening performance of Les Miserables. It was also opening night of the tour here in Dallas. All I can say is that this show truly is incredible. I went in not expecting much, even though many of my theatre friends had told me how amazing this show was. I came out of the theatre as a brand new Les Mis fan. This cast truly is wonderful and give the performances of their lifetime.

Randal Keith (Jean Valjean) grabs you and takes you on an incredible journey through Valjean's life. From his first words to his last, you are not only intrigued by Mr. Keith's INCREDIBLE voice, but also his heart-wrenching acting skills. Your hearts breaks time and time again for Valjean, and you're rooting for him the whole way through. His 'Bring Him Home' leaves you speechless, as was quite apparent in the Music Hall last night. The audience erupted into a good whole minute applause, complete with cheering and screaming. I can not say enough good things about Keith. Robert Hunt (Javert) does an impeccable job in this production, making you hate him all the way through up until his climax. The death needs work, however. It just does not work for this production. In fact, when he fell, I even heard a few embarassed chuckles around me. Call me crazy, but I don't think that's the reaction they're going for. This, however, was only one of two problems I had with this production. The other problem was Leslie Henstock (Cosette). I just did not enjoy her performance at all. Granted she had some nice moments, but overall, I did not feel for the way she was playing the character. Her voice is also a weakening factor. Her lower register is fine, but when she tries to hit the higher notes, it's quite a struggle for her. And it's a struggle not won. It's the TOTAL opposite, however, for Melissa Lyons (Eponine). She has the voice of an angel and her 'On My Own' alone is worth the $90. Just like with Valjean, you're heart was constantly pouring out for her as she struggled with her emotions for Marius. There aren't enough good things to say about Ms. Lyons. Daniel Bogart (Marius) has a wonderful voice perfectly suited for Marius (and he's not bad to look at either!). Jennifer Butt and Norman Large, who play Thenardier and Madame Thenarider, respectively, make you giggle and smile throughout all of their scenes.

However, the person you leave the theatre remembering is Ms. Joan Almedilla (Fantine). Although not on stage for a whole lot of the show, you can not help but to remember how incredibly perfect her performance was. She WAS Fantine, if that makes sense. She takes you out of this theatre you're sitting in, and makes you believe you are truly witnessing a poor woman's falling and demise. She's perfect.

The touring company is in wonderful condition. It's a show not to be missed. If it's coming to your city, buy you're tickets now! You'll have a great time.

Hope you guys enjoyed my review! Take care!

--Brandon Updated On: 6/22/06 at 07:15 PM

gavrochegirl
#1re: Les Mis tour in Dallas 6/21/06
Posted: 6/21/06 at 7:16pm

Have fun!

What the puck?!

neddyfrank2
#2re: Les Mis tour in Dallas 6/21/06
Posted: 6/21/06 at 7:26pm

The cast is great, I saw them in LA on saturday

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#3re: Les Mis tour in Dallas 6/21/06
Posted: 6/21/06 at 7:29pm

Have a great time! re: Les Mis tour in Dallas 6/21/06 Looking forward to your review. LES MIZ is my all-time favorite show.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

#4re: Les Mis tour in Dallas 6/21/06
Posted: 6/21/06 at 7:32pm

I CANNOT wait to hear this. I am seeing then in Indianapolis. My first time seeing the show and it is my ALL TIME favorite. I am gonna pee my pants.

neddyfrank2
#5re: Les Mis tour in Dallas 6/21/06
Posted: 6/21/06 at 7:48pm

It is your all time favorite show, but you have never seen it?

JustChillin8908
#6re: Les Mis tour in Dallas 6/21/06
Posted: 6/21/06 at 7:52pm

Am I the only one who finds it pointless to make a thread saying you're "going" to a show?

In that case I'll be seeing the Jesus Christ Superstar tour in East Lansing on 9/23/06. I'll be sure to write a review when I get back!

neddyfrank2
#7re: Les Mis tour in Dallas 6/21/06
Posted: 6/21/06 at 7:54pm

Okay well if that is what we are doing...I am going to see Zhivago tonight, I will post a review when I get back, actually I don't know if I am going to.

DBillyP Profile Photo
DBillyP
#8re: Les Mis tour in Dallas 6/21/06
Posted: 6/21/06 at 8:22pm

Am I the only one who finds it pointless to moan about posting a pointless thread?

"I am open, and I am willing, For to be hopeless would seem so strange. It dishonors those who go before us, So lift me up to the light of change." Holly Near

JustChillin8908
#9re: Les Mis tour in Dallas 6/21/06
Posted: 6/21/06 at 8:50pm

Well I went into this thread expecting a review, only to find someone warning us that they'll be writing a review? Just wait until you've actually seen it!

DBillyP Profile Photo
DBillyP
#10re: Les Mis tour in Dallas 6/21/06
Posted: 6/21/06 at 11:42pm

Well, there is no need to get pissy about it.

Like you, I thought there would be a review, forgetting that it did not open until tonight rather than the customary Tuesday night openings for Dallas Summer Musicals. Was I upset? No; it just makes me look forward to willact's review since I am seeing the show next Tuesday.

I just thought he was so excited about seeing the show that he couldn't wait to post.

"I am open, and I am willing, For to be hopeless would seem so strange. It dishonors those who go before us, So lift me up to the light of change." Holly Near

Parks
#11re: Les Mis tour in Dallas 6/21/06
Posted: 6/22/06 at 12:04am

I hope to get tickets to the show. I haven't seen it yet. I didn't know it was opening tonight until today.

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

Bret Profile Photo
Bret
#12re: Les Mis tour in Dallas 6/21/06
Posted: 6/22/06 at 12:29am

Seeing it tomorrow and Sunday. I may wait to post a review until after the second performance, but will try and post thoughts about the first.

"Wherever you go... I'll be right there. When you get your own private kick in the ass, just remember: it's a present from me to you." Rose's dying words to Louise

willact4food
#13re: Les Mis tour in Dallas 6/21/06
Posted: 6/22/06 at 1:32am

Just got home and too tired to write a review tonight, but it was incredible. Will write a full review tomorrow.

And JustChillin, can you just shut the **** up? God you're always complaining about something. If you don't like it, I don't understand why you waste your time telling us how much you don't like it. Frankly, we could care less.

willact4food
#14re: Les Mis tour in Dallas 6/21/06
Posted: 6/22/06 at 3:25pm

bump

shaun3000
#15re: Les Mis tour in Dallas 6/21/06
Posted: 6/22/06 at 4:53pm

[quote]It's the TOTAL opposite, however, for Melissa Lyons (Eponine).[/quote]

Maybe your Playbill didn't have the evening's cast slips in it, but the Eponine understudy, Marissa McGowan, was on. That's probably why she was so damned good, she wasn't bored to death with her role.

EponineAmneris
#16re: Les Mis tour in Dallas 6/21/06
Posted: 6/22/06 at 5:17pm

Thank you for your review! Glad you enjoyed it re: Les Mis tour in Dallas 6/21/06

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

EponineAmneris
#17re: Les Mis tour in Dallas 6/21/06
Posted: 6/22/06 at 5:17pm

Sorry double post re: Les Mis tour in Dallas 6/21/06 Silly computer.

Updated On: 6/22/06 at 05:17 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#18re: Les Mis tour in Dallas 6/21/06
Posted: 6/22/06 at 6:03pm

Javert's Suicide almost always looks awful when you're up close. However, Robert Hunt is phenomenal. It's actually exhausting to watch him go through that scene because he's amazing and goes crazy. :)

Thanks for the review!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Anna_Elizabeth Profile Photo
Anna_Elizabeth
#19re: Les Mis tour in Dallas 6/21/06
Posted: 6/22/06 at 6:47pm

Well, if anyone is looking for a review, you can read my thoughts on Les Mis (and Zhivago) at the link below.

I saw them on 6/16 and 6/17, respectively.

Les Mis and Zhivago Reviews

willact4food
#20re: Les Mis tour in Dallas 6/21/06
Posted: 6/22/06 at 6:54pm

shaun, no I did not have any slips in my Playbill. Thanks for letting me know! Glad to see an understudy who is incredible!

Are you from around here Shaun? Did you see it last night?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#21re: Les Mis tour in Dallas 6/21/06
Posted: 6/22/06 at 7:05pm

Marissa McGowan is blonde -- do you remember if she was blonde? :)

I'd love to see her sometime. It's been far too long since I've seen an Eponine understudy. (Good god, I think it was Stella Lee back in 2003.)

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

DBillyP Profile Photo
DBillyP
#22re: Les Mis tour in Dallas 6/21/06
Posted: 6/22/06 at 11:04pm

Thanks Brandon. I am looking forward to seeing the show, for the first time in 17 years.

Bret Profile Photo
Bret
#23re: Les Mis tour in Dallas 6/21/06
Posted: 6/23/06 at 12:46am

Saw the matinee today. I thought that overall, the cast is very solid. Randal Keith was fantastic, but had a few little vocal moments. Nothing horribly noticible, but I always pick up on them. I would probably have a few minor bumps if I had to sing the role 8 times a week. Like Brandon said, BHH was followed by a HUGE round of applause and cheering, the likes of which I have never seen here in Dallas. As Javert, I was on the fence about Robert Hunt in the beginning. However, as the peroformance went on, I found myself liking him more and more. Javert's Suicide looked fine since I was sitting in the balcony. I've always liked that moment, staging wise.
I was not a huge fan of Joan Almedilla as Fantine. While she acted the part fairly well, especially the death scene, something about her voice just...urked me. It wasn't Fantine, although I imagine her Kim was excellent. I agree with Brandon about Leslie Henstock as Cosette. While she had her moments, her voice was a bit shrill for my tastes, and ocasionally sounded very closed on the high notes. Daniel Bogart was good as Marius, and Victor Wallace proved a fine Enjolras. I think I liked Melissa Lyons as Eponine. Her "On My Own" was somewhat different than I've heard before, with a strong chest/head mix on the ending, rather than a straight belt. She seemed to grasp the part well, but I want to hear her OMO again. I LOVED the Thenardiers, particularly Mme., as portrayed by Jennifer Butt. Excellent singing and acting from both her and Norman Large. I really do reccomend this production. After many years on the road, it still has some life to it. The one thing that truly bothered me was the lack of strings. The synthesized ones sounded very cheap. I'm seeing it again on Sunday night, so I'll post some more thoughts afterwards.

"Wherever you go... I'll be right there. When you get your own private kick in the ass, just remember: it's a present from me to you." Rose's dying words to Louise
Updated On: 6/23/06 at 12:46 AM

neddyfrank2
#24re: Les Mis tour in Dallas 6/21/06
Posted: 6/23/06 at 12:51am

Brandon- . The death needs work, however. It just does not work for this production. In fact, when he fell, I even heard a few embarassed chuckles around me. Call me crazy, but I don't think that's the reaction they're going for. This, however, was only one of two problems I had with this production.

This isn't a new production, it has been around since it opened on Broadway, and if this isn't the reaction you were looking for, then why did they keep it?
Updated On: 6/23/06 at 12:51 AM

Videos