John Lloyd Young out 7/7

Malice Profile Photo
Malice
#0John Lloyd Young out 7/7
Posted: 7/8/06 at 11:01pm

I have been having crummy luck with Jersey Boys. I had just missed the last spot for standing room two weeks ago, then on Friday after waiting 2 1/2 hours yesterday the notice went up for JLY being out. I didn't bother to wait around to get a ticket, I really want to see it with him. I am curious to see if anyone out there knows if he was in today's performances.

thevolleyballer
#1re: John Lloyd Young out 7/7
Posted: 7/8/06 at 11:03pm

Ah. Rumor has it, JLY's a diva. Or divo. Excuse me. :)

mathewbrock Profile Photo
mathewbrock
#2re: John Lloyd Young out 7/7
Posted: 7/8/06 at 11:10pm

From what I've heard, the poor guy is exhausted. He busts his ass out there 8 nights a week singing notes that Sarah Brightman can't even hit. AND he's getting the same pay as the other 3 guys. My guess is he went to renegotiate his contract after his Tony win and didn't feel he was being fairly compensated for his work. If I was that exhausted and not getting star pay, I'd leave, too.

HughE2030 Profile Photo
HughE2030
#3re: John Lloyd Young out 7/7
Posted: 7/8/06 at 11:28pm

Too much birthday celebration the night before. He wasn't at Braodway Barks as advertised, either.

www.ConfessionsofaPaparazzi.com

M J R Profile Photo
M J R
#4re: John Lloyd Young out 7/7
Posted: 7/8/06 at 11:33pm

8 nights a week? Really?

"High time we made a stand and shook up the views of the common man" - Tears for Fears

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#5re: John Lloyd Young out 7/7
Posted: 7/8/06 at 11:36pm

How did him missing a performace or 2 turn into him leaving?

Confuzifying.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#6re: John Lloyd Young out 7/7
Posted: 7/8/06 at 11:39pm

JLY is not a divo. He is very down to earth.
He has a very demanding role.

mathewbrock Profile Photo
mathewbrock
#7re: John Lloyd Young out 7/7
Posted: 7/8/06 at 11:47pm

Sorry, I thought most people would get that "8 nights a week" is not to be taken literallly. Usually, it just means "a hell of a lot."

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#8re: John Lloyd Young out 7/7
Posted: 7/8/06 at 11:53pm

i'm sorry you keep having such bad luck with that, Malice. I've seen the show three times and JLY has been out twice. I hope to see him in the role one more time.

Malice Profile Photo
Malice
#9re: John Lloyd Young out 7/7
Posted: 7/9/06 at 12:01am

Thanks Without A Trace. Still curious to see if he was on today

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#10re: John Lloyd Young out 7/7
Posted: 7/9/06 at 12:02am

i would love to see him go on... i saw it with him on vacation... but Dominic did an amazing job in his place re: John Lloyd Young out 7/7

::bust a move::

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#11re: John Lloyd Young out 7/7
Posted: 7/9/06 at 12:18am

mathewbrock -

Your "guess" is completely offbase. From John's own blog "I will be off for the Sunday, July 16th performance. And a reminder: as I explain in my Frequently Asked Questions, linked above, I am allowed to play a seven-show week. When I exercise that option, the show I take off is almost always a Tuesday evening performance or a Wednesday matinee. "

More like he opted for the friday this week is all.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

thevolleyballer
#12re: John Lloyd Young out 7/7
Posted: 7/9/06 at 12:24am

:) Sources say he's a divo. End of my comment. Updated On: 7/9/06 at 12:24 AM

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#13re: John Lloyd Young out 7/7
Posted: 7/9/06 at 12:29am

Volleyballer - one has to wonder why you'd feel the need to break not only your friend's confidence, but also Michael Longoria's.

Things said in private should probably stay that way. Just my .02

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

thevolleyballer
#14re: John Lloyd Young out 7/7
Posted: 7/9/06 at 12:31am

This is true, Craig. An edit is in order. :)

kaboodles041 Profile Photo
kaboodles041
#15re: John Lloyd Young out 7/7
Posted: 7/9/06 at 12:32am

I don't know if I would call JLY a "divo" (obviously, I do not know the man personally, and meeting him outside a stage door does not qualify as knowing him), but I do hear he is a big perfectionist, which to some people I can certainly see translates into "being difficult to work with."

Arghh! Grammar pet peeve #1: your vs you're. "Your" is a possessive pronoun. "You're" is the contraction of "you are." <<

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#16re: John Lloyd Young out 7/7
Posted: 7/9/06 at 12:34am

Cut and paste.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

BSoBW2
#17re: John Lloyd Young out 7/7
Posted: 7/9/06 at 12:35am

Singing falsetto with backup is more difficult than singing countertenor alone.

wicked_mimi
#18re: John Lloyd Young out 7/7
Posted: 7/9/06 at 12:40am

I also heard he missed Bway Barks but I don't know if he was out of the show. I thought I heard he missed the Wednesday matinee this week so maybe he is feeling under the weather. Everyone does have times when they don't feel so well and that does not make them a diva/divo...

almostxfamous Profile Photo
almostxfamous
#19re: John Lloyd Young out 7/7
Posted: 7/9/06 at 12:40am

How did a thread about John being out turn into a thread that he is a 'divo' or 'difficult to work with'? He's an actor doing the best he can. Actors call out.

So, back to the subject, was Dominic or Michael on and how was he, for the people who went?

BSoBW2
#20re: John Lloyd Young out 7/7
Posted: 7/9/06 at 12:45am

I'd like to see Michael in the role.

Though who could match his Pesci?

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#21re: John Lloyd Young out 7/7
Posted: 7/9/06 at 12:47am

If I had to miss JLY, I'd personally like to see Dominic's take on the role.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#22re: John Lloyd Young out 7/7
Posted: 7/9/06 at 12:48am

Michael was excellent as Frankie Valli (saw him last Friday), but I did miss him as Joe Pesci...his understudy was not as good as he was in the role.

wicked_mimi
#23re: John Lloyd Young out 7/7
Posted: 7/9/06 at 12:48am

I have yet to see Michael go on as Frankie but Dominic's performance is worth seeing... He is muuuch better as Frankie though than Bob Gaudio re: John Lloyd Young out 7/7

kaboodles041 Profile Photo
kaboodles041
#24re: John Lloyd Young out 7/7
Posted: 7/9/06 at 12:55am

A bit OT, but WitoutATrace--do you remember who Michael's understudy was? I can't see anybody but him in that role.

Arghh! Grammar pet peeve #1: your vs you're. "Your" is a possessive pronoun. "You're" is the contraction of "you are." <<