Spelling Bee for a 10 year old?

Melodramatic5872 Profile Photo
Melodramatic5872
#0Spelling Bee for a 10 year old?
Posted: 7/9/06 at 7:07pm

I am debating on whether to let my little sister go and see it as I'm the one who has to pick the show and it's the only thing I think she could see in Chicago at the moment.

"I keep thinking about if you take the W in answer, and the H in ghost, and the extra A from aardvark, and the T from listen, you can keep saying WHAT but no one would ever hear you because the whole word would be silent."~Olive Ostrovsky- The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#1re: Spelling Bee for a 10 year old?
Posted: 7/9/06 at 7:27pm

I think she'll be fine with it. There're a few off-color moments ["My Unfortunate Erection" comes to mind, but I think she'd be too distracted trying to ctach candy than to pay attention to the song itself], but nothing really inappropriate.

30/90 Playout
#2re: Spelling Bee for a 10 year old?
Posted: 7/9/06 at 7:31pm

I agree. Keep in mind, they do LOOK for a 10 year old to go onstage.

shiksa_goddess Profile Photo
shiksa_goddess
#3re: Spelling Bee for a 10 year old?
Posted: 7/9/06 at 7:34pm

The show as written shouldn't be too bad for a ten yr old, however, one night I was at the show and the adlibs were all pretty risque for my 12 yr old cousin.

Well, if you're in Chicago...there is always Wicked.

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#4re: Spelling Bee for a 10 year old?
Posted: 7/9/06 at 7:34pm

Yup. It's fine. Like vontussle said, she'll be distracted by the candy. I'm still distracted by the candy.

ashley0139
#5re: Spelling Bee for a 10 year old?
Posted: 7/9/06 at 7:53pm

When I saw Spelling Bee the first time I was sitting next to a woman and her two young-ish daughters. The mother covered her younger daughter's ears during MUE but otherwise it was ok. Both daughters LOVED it.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Melodramatic5872 Profile Photo
Melodramatic5872
#6re: Spelling Bee for a 10 year old?
Posted: 7/10/06 at 12:24pm

We went to see Wicked last year. We were going to see it again it this wasn't appropriate.

"I keep thinking about if you take the W in answer, and the H in ghost, and the extra A from aardvark, and the T from listen, you can keep saying WHAT but no one would ever hear you because the whole word would be silent."~Olive Ostrovsky- The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

ChrisLovesShows Profile Photo
ChrisLovesShows
#7re: Spelling Bee for a 10 year old?
Posted: 7/10/06 at 1:52pm

The title of "My Unfortunate Erection" says it all. I think 10 years is a bit too young, but your sister may be more mature than most.

"Do you know ChrisLovesShows?" "Yes. Why, yes he does!"

codyjo88 Profile Photo
codyjo88
#8re: Spelling Bee for a 10 year old?
Posted: 7/10/06 at 2:25pm

Oh please, these days kids hear worse things on the bus ride to school every day. SB is harmless fun there is no need for concern.

kate2
#9re: Spelling Bee for a 10 year old?
Posted: 7/10/06 at 3:49pm

When I was ten, I didn't even know what an erection was. It probably will go over her head, especially with the candy.

dirty rotten guy Profile Photo
dirty rotten guy
#10re: Spelling Bee for a 10 year old?
Posted: 7/10/06 at 3:54pm

Erection is a medical term. It is a part of human life. If parents try to sheild their children from things like this, all they will do is create social inept and immature kids. Do your sister a favor and take her to this wonderful show.

"The hallmark of aristocracy is responsibility. Oh brother, that got me, that did me in!"

mijofly19
#11re: Spelling Bee for a 10 year old?
Posted: 7/10/06 at 3:55pm

I've brought my 8-year old cousin to this, and she loved it. "M.U.E." went right over her head, and she loved everything about the show. They actually look for a ten year old to be one of the spellers, so maybe she would enjoy that.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#12re: Spelling Bee for a 10 year old?
Posted: 7/10/06 at 4:57pm

The erection went over who's head?
Did i miss something?

Kids love this show!

Days of Inspiration Profile Photo
Days of Inspiration
#13re: Spelling Bee for a 10 year old?
Posted: 7/10/06 at 5:00pm

Honestly, kids these days are exposed to a lot worse. Definitely take her.

icantbelive
#14re: Spelling Bee for a 10 year old?
Posted: 7/10/06 at 5:06pm

She's ok, she wont notice MUE, because she would be distracted and want the candy.

StephenSondheimWHOO Profile Photo
StephenSondheimWHOO
#15re: Spelling Bee for a 10 year old?
Posted: 7/11/06 at 5:41pm

OH its definetly fine Im 12 and ive seen it twice. I went the second time with my little cousin it went straight over his head. He had no idea what was going on during MUE. and if she does get it its really not that bad. I mean when i waas 10 i already knew about that stuff. I'd Definetly say take her

Salad_Fingers85 Profile Photo
Salad_Fingers85
#16re: Spelling Bee for a 10 year old?
Posted: 7/11/06 at 6:59pm

Me my friend and her little sister (7) went to see it and she absolutely loved it. It shouldn't be a problem whatsoever. All the aldult humor goes in one ear and out the other for little kids.

Max4903
#17re: Spelling Bee for a 10 year old?
Posted: 7/12/06 at 12:35am

Isn't that their target audience?

Videos