Madeline Kahn idea for Broadway

MadelineKahnFan Profile Photo
MadelineKahnFan
#0Madeline Kahn idea for Broadway
Posted: 7/13/06 at 6:30pm

How about a musical based on Madeline Kahn? She was a hard act to follow, but I am sure there is an actress out there who can come close. This underratted superstar deserves to be remembered. Think Funny Girl after Barbra Streisand played Fanny Brice, they both became household names. Too bad Cyndi Lauper isn't 20 years younger she could have pulled it off, but she does look that young though. There is actress Leslie Mann who does look like Madeline Kahn a little and in the movie The Forty Year Old Virgin she so reminded me of her in looks and her performance. I mean now one can ever replace her in my eyes. Madeline Kahn was the legendary star of all stars. I will forever miss her. Saw her on Broadwayy and off.

SeptemberKel
#1re: Madeline Kahn idea for Broadway
Posted: 7/13/06 at 10:06pm

I really like this idea. I adored Madeline Kahn. Her time on this Earth was far too short. Sad as I am to say this, I'm not sure how much of an audience this type of a musical would have.

Perhaps if the musical were based on Madeline's life, but not titled as such (perhaps re-naming the character or other such mechanisms), it would have a wider appeal. Either way, I know I'd be in attendance.

"Of course there is the castle - the ruined castle. I find it lovely. Probably because it's ruined, I suppose." - Passion

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#2re: Madeline Kahn idea for Broadway
Posted: 7/13/06 at 10:33pm

No, biographical musicals need to stop.

i love madeline but no.

Yero
#3re: Madeline Kahn idea for Broadway
Posted: 7/13/06 at 10:37pm

Name 5 completely original biographical musicals in the last 10 years.

"I have this mental image of Patti barreling down the street and pushing tourists out of her way." -colleen_lee

andyf
#4re: Madeline Kahn idea for Broadway
Posted: 7/13/06 at 10:39pm

I was just watching Clue yesterday. She is perfection.

"Flames...flames...on the side of my face..."

Andrew, tonight isn't about you! It isn't even about me!!! - [FD]

Yero
#5re: Madeline Kahn idea for Broadway
Posted: 7/13/06 at 10:42pm

Not jukebox, like Funny Girl.

"I have this mental image of Patti barreling down the street and pushing tourists out of her way." -colleen_lee

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#6re: Madeline Kahn idea for Broadway
Posted: 7/13/06 at 11:08pm

What were the events in Madeline Kahn's life that would make it a compelling idea for a biographical show?

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#7re: Madeline Kahn idea for Broadway
Posted: 7/13/06 at 11:38pm

it doesn't matter if it is Jukebox or not it is still a pointless idea.

Side Show

Pinaud Profile Photo
Pinaud
#8re: Madeline Kahn idea for Broadway
Posted: 7/13/06 at 11:39pm

Good Vibrations wasn't biographical. Just abhorrent.

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#9re: Madeline Kahn idea for Broadway
Posted: 7/14/06 at 3:40am

Why would it matter if it's a biographical musical or a musical based on anything else. Name a Broadway musical that isn't based on an existing play, book, poem, life, tv show, movie, idea, etc. There's not many.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

travismoser
#10re: Madeline Kahn idea for Broadway
Posted: 7/14/06 at 9:33am

Are you joking, wildcat? She was an amazingly talented performer from Broadway, film and television who died too young from ovarian cancer. They've done an A&E biography and an Intimate Portrait on her. Do you know any of the stories of when she starred in the original Broadway production of "On the Twentieth Century?" Yeah...I'd say there's enough material there. I'm not saying it would make a great musical or have a major following, but come on people.

CompanyGuy Profile Photo
CompanyGuy
#11re: Madeline Kahn idea for Broadway
Posted: 7/15/06 at 5:29am

Everytime I watch Clue I think I am watching Karen Walker AKA Megan Mullaly. Megan IMO would be great as Madeline. I think that they have similar comedic timing, and Megan has a hell of a voice. Thoughts?

OtherDaryl Profile Photo
OtherDaryl
#12re: Madeline Kahn idea for Broadway
Posted: 7/15/06 at 10:46am

They might include a dream ballet concerning her audition for Gooch in the film of MAME and being scotched due to concerns she was so good she might overshadow the star.

Or a series of blackout sketches comprising short snippets of her television series, what was it? Oh, Madeline?

A well-made project would incur such difficulties with rights clearance - you'd have to clear the music she sang in such a variety of things, from Blazing Saddles to 20th Century and scenes from Rabe, Wasserstein and Kanin. Yipes!

"Love Life. Live." Michael Bennett

MadelineKahnFan Profile Photo
MadelineKahnFan
#13re: Madeline Kahn idea for Broadway
Posted: 7/17/06 at 8:16pm

I was thinking after watching Bewitched the moviethe other night that Kristen Chenweth would be a perfect choice to play Madeline Kahn. She is the perfect height and has a geat vocal range. I heard that she named her dog after Madeline Kahn.

Videos