pixeltracker

The Full Monty....ending (possible spoiler)

The Full Monty....ending (possible spoiler)

HOUFlip04 Profile Photo
HOUFlip04
#0The Full Monty....ending (possible spoiler)
Posted: 7/18/06 at 6:34pm

Do you think it's appropriate to actually do the "Full Monty" at the end of the show? I really like the way the Broadway and subsequent tours have done this with the wonder of "did they really do it?".

Has anyone seen a production of this show where they actually did the "Full Monty"? I would love to hear your opinion on this.

This is Harvard, not a stripper bar...

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#1re: The Full Monty....ending (possible spoiler)
Posted: 7/18/06 at 6:38pm

Never seen it done otherwise, but I don't think showing them fully naked would fit in the show very well...

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Wildcard
#2re: The Full Monty....ending (possible spoiler)
Posted: 7/18/06 at 6:40pm

I've heard it done without the lights in the end. Not sure if it was Philadelphia or something. In any case, the Broadway actors really did go the full monty every night.

west end artist1 Profile Photo
west end artist1
#3re: The Full Monty....ending (possible spoiler)
Posted: 7/18/06 at 6:42pm

Yes it was done in london and on the national tour in the UK

#4re: The Full Monty....ending (possible spoiler)
Posted: 7/18/06 at 7:05pm

Ive seen it done with The full Monty every time..once in San Diego, once on broadway and once in Philly on tour.

That's the whole point, not so much for the audience to actually see penis, but the guts and the freedom to let it all go!

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#5re: The Full Monty....ending (possible spoiler)
Posted: 7/18/06 at 7:06pm

A production in Cleveland did go the full monty. I know this for sure, because one night, the light board op jumped a cue, and the bright lights came on early, so when the guys did it... there were no bright lights, and well, the audience got a little more than they paid for. Thank god I wasn't there that night. lol

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

Mythus
#6re: The Full Monty....ending (possible spoiler)
Posted: 7/18/06 at 7:13pm

At North Shore Music Theatre in Beverly, they did indeed go the Full Monty, and you could definitely see it. The lights dimmed pretty quickly, though.

HOUFlip04 Profile Photo
HOUFlip04
#7re: The Full Monty....ending (possible spoiler)
Posted: 7/18/06 at 7:25pm

Yes, I understand that. But still, it's a little easier with a blinding light behind you. In the movie, they did the full monty too, but then the camera was behind them.

I will be doing this show at a local theatre and there is a possibility of not having the lights. That and it being a small theatre concerns me. But the decision will be made by the men and director together.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#8re: The Full Monty....ending (possible spoiler)
Posted: 7/18/06 at 7:26pm

I think I'm confused...in all productions they do the Full Monty, but I thought he was asking about not masking it with lights or anything but showing it all?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

HOUFlip04 Profile Photo
HOUFlip04
#9re: The Full Monty....ending (possible spoiler)
Posted: 7/18/06 at 7:30pm

Thanks, blaxx. That's exactly what I was asking. By the way, Janice is my favorite muppet!

harris007 Profile Photo
harris007
#10re: The Full Monty....ending (possible spoiler)
Posted: 7/18/06 at 7:37pm

it been done both ways, with seeing "the full monty" and blakcing out right before, it depends

Attend the tale of Bovine Boy His party threads we all enjoy But does he have Mad Cow Disease? He doesn't eat beef - but cows skating? - oh please!!! With cocoa!?! And lemonade!?! The heifer-mad poster of Broadway (World)

HOUFlip04 Profile Photo
HOUFlip04
#11re: The Full Monty....ending (possible spoiler)
Posted: 7/18/06 at 7:43pm

Blacking out before would technically not be a full monty for me. I would think there were some disappointed audience members for that. With the light effect, you can say it's a full monty because they did do it, but the lights skewed the audiences view.

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#12re: The Full Monty....ending (possible spoiler)
Posted: 7/18/06 at 8:10pm

I think it's a let down if they don't do it.

It's a big moment that the whole show is leading up to. I say, find some way to do it.

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

Mythus
#13re: The Full Monty....ending (possible spoiler)
Posted: 7/18/06 at 8:18pm

HOUFlip04, NSMT is theatre-in-the-round. There were no bright lights. Just...naked men onstage.

jimnysf
#14re: The Full Monty....ending (possible spoiler)
Posted: 7/18/06 at 8:26pm

In one of the other threads about TFM, I mentioned that a production in Brooklyn last year had the guys out there on the stage in the raw...no lights...nothing. Butt Naked.

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#15re: The Full Monty....ending (possible spoiler)
Posted: 7/18/06 at 8:26pm

As you seem to realize, most productions involve the actors' genitals being covered by a special lighting effect so that the audience can't see "anything," even though they really are naked. That's how we did it as well when I played Harold in the show about a year ago in a regional production. However, the alternative is to have the actors wear flesh-colored g-strings, so that even if the audience can see past the lights (which often happens if they are up close and/or to the side), you have a safety net. (That's what they told me was going to happen when I accepted the role, but after rehearsals began, the director confessed he'd actually rather have us naked, but left the decision up to us. We unanimously agreed to go the full monty.)

Anyway, I actually think it's a bad idea to have the actors be naked WITHOUT a lighting effect, unless you make it VERY clear in the advertising that there will be six penises staring at you at the end of the show. Believe it or not, many theatergoers do NOT want to see this, and you might have some upset patrons to deal with. And yes, you'd be surprised how many people would go to see "The Full Monty" without knowing that people get naked in it.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#16re: The Full Monty....ending (possible spoiler)
Posted: 7/18/06 at 8:45pm

Seeing the penises I think would also be disturbing and a bit gross...most of the guys are not supposed to be in the best shape, and although I get that is the point, it goes against the charm of the musical. Covering them up with light or another effect when they actually get naked is smart and a great ending to a really good show.

HOUFlip04 - is that you in the pic? I'd pay to see you do the Full Monty, he he (and so would Janice, I'm sure!)

Updated On: 7/18/06 at 08:45 PM

jimnysf
#17re: The Full Monty....ending (possible spoiler)
Posted: 7/18/06 at 8:49pm

Kathy Bates hot tub gross? Bring on the penises!

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#18re: The Full Monty....ending (possible spoiler)
Posted: 7/18/06 at 8:59pm

Well said, blaxx. The show was written to be dirty, but harmlessly so, in a "PG-13" style. Not covering up the nudity with a lighting effect would not fit with the style of the show. PLUS it would piss off a lot of the more conservative audience members.

HOUFlip04 Profile Photo
HOUFlip04
#19re: The Full Monty....ending (possible spoiler)
Posted: 7/18/06 at 9:00pm

LOL...no, unfortunately that is not me. But my friend, Mike, will appreciate it.

HOUFlip04 Profile Photo
HOUFlip04
#20re: The Full Monty....ending (possible spoiler)
Posted: 7/18/06 at 9:02pm

I agree. I think the anticipation of "will they" or "won't they" is the appeal of the show.

HOUFlip04 Profile Photo
HOUFlip04
#21re: The Full Monty....ending (possible spoiler)
Posted: 7/19/06 at 10:49am

Yes, and plus the theatre I will be doing the show in is small and the audience is very close to the stage (no orchestra pit). Ah, well! The decision will be made by the cast when rehearsals start. So, I'll keep you updated!

Mattbrain
#22re: The Full Monty....ending (possible spoiler)
Posted: 7/19/06 at 11:22am

Well, that's the theatre. We've got all kinds of stuff. The Full Monty ain't the only show to push the button. We've got Rent, The Color Purple, and Wicked with its political undertones. But yes, this is the theatre and we can only push the button so much. I think it's a good idea to cue the lights right when they go The Full Monty.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#23re: The Full Monty....ending (possible spoiler)
Posted: 7/19/06 at 1:21pm

Seeing the penises I think would also be disturbing and a bit gross..

Why do you say that??

As a long-time naturist I must protest! No one's naked form is gross. Everyone is a little different and unique.

This American attitude that nudity is shocking or titillating has to stop. There was a time when people placed knitted covers over table legs lest they be arousing to males. How did such a progressive country get to be so backwards regarding naturism.

Our naturist group has monthly nude swims open for families and we get everyone from 5 yrs old to 65 yrs old. The kids raised by nudist parents have a much healthier self-image and do not equate nudity with sex. At these swims everyone shares the same change rooms. Novel idea? Hardly. We look forward to the day when all pools/beaches will be clothing optional.

Anyone here who has ever tried a nude beach will tell you that once you had done it you wonder what all the fuss was about.

Just to get back on topic...a local dinner theatre has slotted THE FULL MONTY for next spring.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

jimnysf
#24re: The Full Monty....ending (possible spoiler)
Posted: 7/19/06 at 1:24pm

"...No one's naked form is gross.".

Did you miss Kathy Bates in the hot tub in "About Schmidt"?

Latest Posts

Videos