CURRENT ISSUES ON BROADWAY?

ORPHAN Profile Photo
ORPHAN
#0CURRENT ISSUES ON BROADWAY?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 12:33am

What current subjects, issues, situations would be right for a major musical production on Broadway.

orphan

Yero
#1re: CURRENT ISSUES ON BROADWAY?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 12:36am

I... don't understand what you're asking...?

"I have this mental image of Patti barreling down the street and pushing tourists out of her way." -colleen_lee

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: CURRENT ISSUES ON BROADWAY?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 12:43am

Mamma Mia

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

.LittleWing. 0224 Profile Photo
.LittleWing. 0224
#3re: CURRENT ISSUES ON BROADWAY?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 12:45am

Wanna Be... you are now my hero

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#4re: CURRENT ISSUES ON BROADWAY?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 12:45am

Well full frontal puppet nudity would be good.

Edit: I just remembered, they've already done that.

Updated On: 7/25/06 at 12:45 AM

thevolleyballer
#5re: CURRENT ISSUES ON BROADWAY?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 1:27am

If the question is "What current issues in the media today should be the subjects of prospective Broadway musicals?", then I believe that most already are.

Homosexual love/marriage and racism are both discussed in THE COLOR PURPLE and AVENUE Q, which are two of the most different shows that are currently on Broadway. Everything in between is discussed as well.

In fact, I'd love to hear a theme that can't be found in a show. (That's not meant to sound mean -- I actually think all themes are covered in at least one Broadway show!)

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#6re: CURRENT ISSUES ON BROADWAY?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 1:38am

Maybe war... wouldn't be bad to have a show to remind us of this.
Terrorism, violence, intolerance.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

RentBoy86
#7re: CURRENT ISSUES ON BROADWAY?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 1:49am

Racial profiling and racism. Abortion. I think it would be interesting to have a show where the guy is the one with the weight problem. Also, I'd love to see a show on Broadway where the leads are fat, but the show doesn't have a thing to do with weight.

Also, I don't get the idea of writers adding homosexuality to a musical to make it modern or contemporary? I'm in no way bashing homosexuality, I don't mind it, but what I don't understand is why in "The Full Monty" do they have to add the little "almost-a-kiss" thing between Malcom and Ethan? I didn't understand the point of adding that. Sorry, just something I've thought about. Updated On: 7/25/06 at 01:49 AM

Kringas
#8re: CURRENT ISSUES ON BROADWAY?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 3:06am

You seem to be conflicted, Rentboy. You're seemingly obsessed with male homosexuality, yet you wish there was less of it in theater?

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#9re: CURRENT ISSUES ON BROADWAY?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 3:09am

I... don't understand what you're asking...?

"Help! I have an assignment due in 6 hours! Could you give me answers?"

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

OnMyWay Profile Photo
OnMyWay
#10re: CURRENT ISSUES ON BROADWAY?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 3:14am

I like the overweight leads idea. And abortion.

"People that excel in the arts understand that the journey is the reward...the result an added bonus. Every day I act or train is a blessing and a dream come true. If Broadway beckons so be it. I have a personal definition of success that is unshakable by a possibly unobtainable goal." -HamletWasBipolar

toomeytwopiece Profile Photo
toomeytwopiece
#11re: CURRENT ISSUES ON BROADWAY?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 3:43am

"Also, I don't get the idea of writers adding homosexuality to a musical to make it modern or contemporary? I'm in no way bashing homosexuality, I don't mind it, but what I don't understand is why in "The Full Monty" do they have to add the little "almost-a-kiss" thing between Malcom and Ethan? I didn't understand the point of adding that. Sorry, just something I've thought about."

How about that it might give someone, other than a totally straight person, a chance to relate to a theatrical romance? That's always nice. It's not fun for homosexual people to watch heterosexual romances in plays/movies over and over again if they cannot relate. Just as it would be vice versa for a totally heterosexual person to watch only gay love stories. Gay/Bi/Lesbian issues are relevant - they always have been - but it's only in recent history that it has become commercially viable to publically address those issues overtly in art.

I say this with ALL kindness and calmness: I would say that the next time you see a play or musical, or a movie, with such a gay-additive as you have referred to, just ruminate over why it bothers you. Try to get past that and relate to what the characters are going through. It's just love and/or sex... it's all the same heart-beating and sweating in the end :)

-BCR

RentBoy86
#12re: CURRENT ISSUES ON BROADWAY?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 4:24am

If you're asking me to do that, why can't you do it? It's not the idea of it that bothers me, it's the fact that they had to add it in there. I love the show. It's one of my favorite recent shows, but I just don't understand that scene. I know I'm getting under a lot of people's skin, and I hope I'm not coming off wrong, but I just don't think it was needed. What's wrong with love? Whether it's straight/gay/lesbian/bi/asexual, whatever. I just dont think they needed to add it to "relate" to audiences today.

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#13re: CURRENT ISSUES ON BROADWAY?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 9:56am

Soldier:
(MARCH)
I'm going off
Going off to Iraq
Got the weight of the world
Right here on my back

Our president says it's all for good
But I'd like to know if he would
Send his own children to fight
For this war he thinks is so right

I'm going off
Going off to Iraq
Kissed my girl told her
I'd hurry back

(TEMPO CHANGE - slower)
But that was three years ago
And I'm so sick of sun and the sand
I miss my girl and home and even now
I still just don't understand

Why I was sent off
Why I was sent off to Iraq
But they keep promising me
When all Iraqis are free
That they WILL SEND ME BACK!

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

Kringas
#14re: CURRENT ISSUES ON BROADWAY?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 1:26pm

Is it me, or is it odd that all this butch posturing is coming from someone who calls himself "Rentboy"?

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

EmieMarie Profile Photo
EmieMarie
#15re: CURRENT ISSUES ON BROADWAY?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 1:33pm

like the song Jasonf,
a musical on war would be very interesting and pretty good if done right

Fear no more the heat o' the sun, Nor the furious winter's rages; Thou thy worldly task hast done, Home art gone and ta'en thy wages: Golden lads and girls all must, As chimney-sweepers, come to dust. ~Cymbeline

JustABroadwaybaby2
#16re: CURRENT ISSUES ON BROADWAY?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 2:15pm

May I please bring your attention to an off-Broadway show called Spring Awakening? It deals with rape, and abortion, and some other touchy issues.

"I'm thinking about how if you took the W in answer, and the H in ghost, and the extra A in aardvark, and the T in listen, you could keep saying WHAT but no one would ever hear you because the whole word would be silent." Please support BC/EFA at goodsearch.com! Search for anything, and your charity will get a cent!

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#17re: CURRENT ISSUES ON BROADWAY?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 7:28pm

I'm in no way bashing homosexuality, I don't mind it, but what I don't understand is why in "The Full Monty" do they have to add the little "almost-a-kiss" thing between Malcom and Ethan? I didn't understand the point of adding that. Sorry, just something I've thought about.

It's not the idea of it that bothers me, it's the fact that they had to add it in there. I love the show. It's one of my favorite recent shows, but I just don't understand that scene. I know I'm getting under a lot of people's skin, and I hope I'm not coming off wrong, but I just don't think it was needed. What's wrong with love? Whether it's straight/gay/lesbian/bi/asexual, whatever. I just dont think they needed to add it to "relate" to audiences today.

OK Rentboy, you're making a total fool of yourself. THE FULL MONTY, the film upon which the musical is based, was written with the romance between Malcolm and Ethan. It's in the source material. So if you're going to be angry (yet again) at someone, be angry with the writers of the film, which just happened to have been nominated for BEST PICTURE at The Academy Awards. It wasn't "added in". It was part of the original story.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 7/25/06 at 07:28 PM

Doctor Dolittle
#18re: CURRENT ISSUES ON BROADWAY?
Posted: 7/25/06 at 11:02pm

How much do you cost, rentboy?

BSoBW2
#19re: CURRENT ISSUES ON BROADWAY?
Posted: 7/26/06 at 1:12am

RentBoy - As Wanna Be A Foster said, the little kiss was in the movie.

And the point is that those two characters are gay. It wasn't JUST a little kiss. It was the beginning of a budding romance when both characters realize they are attracted to each other. Or did you miss the funeral scene?

RentBoy86
#20re: CURRENT ISSUES ON BROADWAY?
Posted: 7/26/06 at 2:17am

I had seen the movie, but I didn't see that. I wasn't getting "angry" - that's all the answer I had wanted. Thanks.

And DoctorDolittel - too much for you :)

No, see, you all interupt stuff however you want. What I meant was I didn't understand why they "added" it in, but as I stated, I was mistaken. Thanks. I love the play, and one of my dream roles is to play Malcom, I just found it odd that they would have to "add" something like that in to make it "contemporary" or "american." That's all I was trying to say.

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#21re: CURRENT ISSUES ON BROADWAY?
Posted: 7/26/06 at 2:51am

However common Homesexuality itself is in theater, I think it would be interesting to see a peice involving Gay Marraige.

Euthanasia could be very interesting as well.

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#22re: CURRENT ISSUES ON BROADWAY?
Posted: 7/26/06 at 2:52am

However common Homesexuality itself is in theater, I think it would be interesting to see a peice involving Gay Marraige.

Euthanasia could be very interesting as well.

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish

RentBoy86
#23re: CURRENT ISSUES ON BROADWAY?
Posted: 7/26/06 at 3:41am

Hm...Euthanasia...that would be interesting. Not sure how it would work, but it would def. take a talented composer to get that idea to work.

Fiction Writer Profile Photo
Fiction Writer
#24re: CURRENT ISSUES ON BROADWAY?
Posted: 7/26/06 at 6:08am

I did "A Piece of My Heart" in high school, which was about the nurses in Vietnam. It was a pretty good play.