pixeltracker

Ces Soirees-La - how does it fit into the show?

Ces Soirees-La - how does it fit into the show?

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#0Ces Soirees-La - how does it fit into the show?
Posted: 7/28/06 at 12:29pm

I just got the Jersey Boys cast recording today, and I noticed they had "Ces Soirees-La" on there, based on the JB song "Oh What a Night." I'm just wondering, do they play this at the beginning of the show or something? How does it fit in? I'm just wondering how it is used in the show since it seems a bit out of place. Thanks!

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Yankeefan007
#1re: Ces Soirees-La - how does it fit into the show?
Posted: 7/28/06 at 12:30pm

It's supposed to show the worldwide impact of the 4 Seasons.

wicked_mimi
#2re: Ces Soirees-La - how does it fit into the show?
Posted: 7/28/06 at 12:36pm

It also kind of sets the time. It flashes back from 2000, when Ces Soiree La takes place, to the 60's.

millie_dillmount
#3re: Ces Soirees-La - how does it fit into the show?
Posted: 7/28/06 at 1:20pm

Oh I'm so stupid. When I first listened to the beginning of the second song in my car, I wasn't paying attention to the dialogue of the guy saying how it was a big hit in France. I listened again - now I get it.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#4re: Ces Soirees-La - how does it fit into the show?
Posted: 7/28/06 at 2:01pm

Jersey Boys opens with this number. It supposed to be set in a night club in France in the year 2000. A French pop star and rapper come out to perform the song. Then Tommy DeVito (played by Christian Hoff) comes out and says "That's our song. Oh What a Night, Ces Soirees La, French Number 1 in Paris 2000. How'd that happen. You ask 4 guys you get 4 different versions."

We are then transported back to the beginning of the story

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

WheelsofaDream Profile Photo
WheelsofaDream
#5re: Ces Soirees-La - how does it fit into the show?
Posted: 7/28/06 at 2:30pm

Like people say, it's at the beginning. When I saw Jersey Boys people were taken aback by it. This was before all the massive hype and awards were put on it, back in late November. You could tell people thought they'd just walked into the wrong musical.

millie_dillmount
#6re: Ces Soirees-La - how does it fit into the show?
Posted: 7/28/06 at 9:09pm

Haha, I added the CD to my itunes library, and it categorized it as "Alternative and Punk." Go figure.

kaboodles041 Profile Photo
kaboodles041
#7re: Ces Soirees-La - how does it fit into the show?
Posted: 7/28/06 at 10:08pm

Did anyone else when they first saw the show think, "what the hell is this, am I in the wrong show? Isn't this supposed to be about the Four Seasons?" Hehe, I thought that, and when I saw it again with a friend, she confessed she thought the same thing.

Arghh! Grammar pet peeve #1: your vs you're. "Your" is a possessive pronoun. "You're" is the contraction of "you are." <<

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#8re: Ces Soirees-La - how does it fit into the show?
Posted: 8/9/06 at 11:46pm

I thought that I had put in the wrong CD.

GodIHopeIGetIt Profile Photo
GodIHopeIGetIt
#9re: Ces Soirees-La - how does it fit into the show?
Posted: 8/9/06 at 11:49pm

When I first got the Chorus Line CD to put on my bran' spankin' new iPod (no idea what iTunes was), someone put in some crazy latin music demo instead, and when I pressed play... yeah, I thought it was the same stupid thing happening again.

Solstrom Profile Photo
Solstrom
#10re: Ces Soirees-La - how does it fit into the show?
Posted: 8/10/06 at 6:33am

In fact, the first french version in france was sung by Claude François in the 60's. Since his death, it's became a legend (well, he was already it when he was alive !). It was the same thing that the original version. This guy has sung also (and was the first to sing it) "Comme d'habitude" which is originally "My way".

In 2000, a rapper, Yannick, made this kind of remake, with others words and it was a hit during a long long time in the charts, with the new generation.

mrcacou Profile Photo
mrcacou
#11re: Ces Soirees-La - how does it fit into the show?
Posted: 8/20/06 at 6:25pm

Just bringing this thread back to life as "My Way" is an adaptation of the French song "Comme d'habitude" and not the other way arround.

In my heart, I found the answered dream, and in my soul I found the song, and in my friends I found the magic, the love, the moon up above- they were mine, all mine, all along..!

Solstrom Profile Photo
Solstrom
#12re: Ces Soirees-La - how does it fit into the show?
Posted: 8/20/06 at 6:47pm

In fact you're right ! Claude François write this song after the end of her love relation with France Gall...

Videos