pixeltracker

Show Suggestions (I know, another one of these)

Show Suggestions (I know, another one of these)

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#0Show Suggestions (I know, another one of these)
Posted: 8/16/06 at 1:01pm

Ok so I'm going to New York and have room for 3 shows. One definite is TWS, but I don't know about the two others. I want to see Sweeney before it closes, but I've been listening to the music for a while and just can't get into, except for a few songs. If I see it, will I feel differently? The same goes for Drowsy, I can't get into it. So any other suggestions?

I've already seen Hairspray, Wicked, Rent, Phantom, Color Purple, DRS, and Spelling Bee, and I want a musical. Thanks!

And please no "ugh not another one of these threads" posts please. Thanks!

VeuveClicquot Profile Photo
VeuveClicquot
#1re: Show Suggestions (I know, another one of these)
Posted: 8/16/06 at 1:06pm

Barbara's Blue Kitchen.

bare_nakedlady Profile Photo
bare_nakedlady
#2re: Show Suggestions (I know, another one of these)
Posted: 8/16/06 at 1:23pm

TWS is definitely a must.

I would say if your looking for a musical, you've seen some good selections, I just saw ALTAR BOYZ and laughed until I cried. If your looking for light fun the New World Stages is a great place to see a show. Not a bad seat in the house. Actually, I think the current cast is better than the original (vocally that is because I can only judge the CD).

DROWSY is a must see as well, just for originality and great performances. I personally felt Drowsy watching it as it did not captivate me like it does others. But I could appreciate the talent and Bob Martin is Amazing. I would like to see him in a 'great' show.

And... JACQUES BREL is alive and well... Is Fantastic. Now it is just a Musical Revue of Brel's music, but the performers are amazing. They put so much feeling and power in the music that I actually teared up a couple of times. The music is still relevant today and stirs up a lot of emotion. It's a classic.

"It's like children's theatre for 40-year old gay people!" - XANADU THE MUSICAL
Updated On: 8/16/06 at 01:23 PM

whatyouown223
#3re: Show Suggestions (I know, another one of these)
Posted: 8/16/06 at 1:32pm

I guess I'll have to reconsider Drowsy, everyone says it's so good!

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#4re: Show Suggestions (I know, another one of these)
Posted: 8/16/06 at 1:52pm

Sweeney is complex and confusing until you really grasp it, then you love it. I'd see it, it's a once in a lifetime chance, go for it.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#5re: Show Suggestions (I know, another one of these)
Posted: 8/16/06 at 2:31pm

If you are going within the next three weeks and you are a die hard musical theater nut see [title of show] you wont regret it!

matt schneider
#6re: Show Suggestions (I know, another one of these)
Posted: 8/16/06 at 2:40pm

The bushes of Tex were nervous recks because their son was dim, But look what happened to him~Dirrty Rotten Scoundrels~all about Ruprecht They say the thoughtful musicals dead on broadway~forbiden broadway : SVU~The crime scene Never say never, there's always one more person you can hit up~avenue Q.~the money song Life sucks, get a pacifyer~my own saying
Updated On: 8/16/06 at 02:40 PM

matt schneider
#7re: Show Suggestions (I know, another one of these)
Posted: 8/16/06 at 2:44pm

Got it fixed.

You must see sweeney, you will get into it. Drowsy is excelent, but if you don't like the music, then you wont get into it.

The bushes of Tex were nervous recks because their son was dim, But look what happened to him~Dirrty Rotten Scoundrels~all about Ruprecht They say the thoughtful musicals dead on broadway~forbiden broadway : SVU~The crime scene Never say never, there's always one more person you can hit up~avenue Q.~the money song Life sucks, get a pacifyer~my own saying
Updated On: 8/16/06 at 02:44 PM

matt schneider
#8Sorry, my computer wont type into the message box. See sweeney, not drowsy.
Posted: 8/16/06 at 2:46pm

whatyouown223
#9Sorry, my computer wont type into the message box. See sweeney, not drowsy.
Posted: 8/17/06 at 7:30pm

Bump. What about Avenue Q? Would you reccomend that over Drowsy?

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
gavrochegirl
#11Sorry, my computer wont type into the message box. See sweeney, not drowsy.
Posted: 8/17/06 at 7:32pm

I'd say Drowsy and either Spelling Bee or Avenue Q.

What the puck?!

whatyouown223
#12Sorry, my computer wont type into the message box. See sweeney, not drowsy.
Posted: 8/17/06 at 7:32pm

Ok, I'm leaning towards Drowsy, I'm just a little worried since I can't get into any of the music. Between Drowsy and Sweeney, which one should I go for?

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#13Sorry, my computer wont type into the message box. See sweeney, not drowsy.
Posted: 8/17/06 at 7:35pm

Drowsy's music is excellent in the course of the show. When i listen to the cd ir eally just remember the nights i saw it.

I saw sweeney i enjoyed it. But Drowsy was a much more rewarding night at the theatre for me.

neocomposer Profile Photo
neocomposer
#14Sorry, my computer wont type into the message box. See sweeney, not drowsy.
Posted: 8/17/06 at 7:38pm

Sweeney is closing. Just Go see it. But I'm a drowsy fan.

"That Sondheim kid has a big future."-Nathan Lane

whatyouown223
#16Show Suggestions (I know, another one of these)
Posted: 8/17/06 at 7:48pm

Well I have heard great things about Sweeney, I'm just afraid I'll be bored by it.

altoid06 Profile Photo
altoid06
#17Show Suggestions (I know, another one of these)
Posted: 8/17/06 at 10:12pm

I second Altar Boyz. It's hilarious. However, if you are going to see serious theatre, it probably wouldn't be a good choice. Look into it though, the tickets are almost always at the TKTS and you are pretty much guaranteed a great seat since the theatre is small.

I agree. When I saw it (however, it was with Tyler Maynard, Ryan Duncan, Andrew Call, Dennis Moench and Jason Celeya -- the first four have moved onto other projects) the whole audience was in hysterics!

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." -- Maya Angelou

maybethistime
#18Show Suggestions (I know, another one of these)
Posted: 8/17/06 at 10:26pm

The CD is a very poor reflection of the show itself. The music is not what carries the show, and the camp of it/the actors' excellent performances, especially PHYSICALLY, don't translate to the CD, nor does Bob Martin's AMAZING performance as Man-in-Chair. Without seeing it, you cannot judge THE DROWSY CHAPERONE; the cd, yes, but not the show itself. It is a must-see, especially while the OBC is still around (sans Hibbert still?).

SweetQintheLights
#19Show Suggestions (I know, another one of these)
Posted: 8/17/06 at 10:29pm

Avenue Q
Spelling Bee

The end.

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

whatyouown223
#20Show Suggestions (I know, another one of these)
Posted: 8/17/06 at 10:31pm

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! keep em coming!

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#21Show Suggestions (I know, another one of these)
Posted: 8/17/06 at 11:16pm

Go see Sweeny, it will change your life but I love ds to

"Passion can drive you crazy but is there any other way to live"
Updated On: 8/17/06 at 11:16 PM

whatyouown223
#22Show Suggestions (I know, another one of these)
Posted: 8/17/06 at 11:18pm

the wedding singer.

afaye11
#23Show Suggestions (I know, another one of these)
Posted: 8/18/06 at 11:47am

You should really see Avenue Q. It's hilarious and a great show overall.

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#24Show Suggestions (I know, another one of these)
Posted: 8/18/06 at 11:50am

Well Avenue Q is my favorite show but no longer has the original cast and I don't think it'll be closing anytime soon, so hold off on that. So I'd say go see Wedding Singer, Drowsy, and Sweeney Todd.