Duncan Sheik as a Tony Winner

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#0Duncan Sheik as a Tony Winner
Posted: 8/19/06 at 10:14pm

How cool would that be? How possible do you guys think it is that he could win for Best Score in this upcoming season? I think GREY GARDENS' only sure win is Christine Ebersole, and the score wasn't particularly stand-out Off-Broadway. But SPRING AWAKENING's score is completely unique, and a nod to the score is also a nod to the great ensemble of actors in the show. Unless HIGH FIDELITY or LEGALLY BLONDE hit us over the head with a brilliant score unlike anything we've heard before, I'd say SPRING AWAKENING has a great chance at winning the Tony Award for Best Score next season.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 8/19/06 at 10:14 PM

bwayondabrain
#1re: Duncan Sheik as a Tony Winner
Posted: 8/19/06 at 10:17pm

i hope he does, just because he went to school where I go, and I won a contest at my school to see him perform, and it was pretty cool, so yeah, im pretty familiar with him, and that would just be really cool
so, one can only hope...
:)

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#2re: Duncan Sheik as a Tony Winner
Posted: 8/19/06 at 10:25pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Pirate Queen snuck in there.

SuttonFan Profile Photo
SuttonFan
#3re: Duncan Sheik as a Tony Winner
Posted: 8/20/06 at 1:04am

Ha, to me that would be really weird if he won because I can just picture his video for "Barely Breathing."

Cause I am barely breathing
And I can’t find the air
I don’t know who I’m kidding
Imagining you care
And I could stand here waiting
A fool for another day
But I don’t suppose it’s worth the price, worth the price
The price that I would pay

"Champagne makes me drowsy!"

WORDS TO LIVE BY:

As we stumble along on life's funny journey. As we stumble along into the blue. We look here and we look there, seeking answers anywhere. Never sure of where to turn or what to do.

Still we bumble our way through life's crazy labyrinth. Barely knowing left from right nor right from wrong. And the best that we can do is hope a blue bird, will sing his song as we stumble along.

Wanna Be A Foster
#4re: Duncan Sheik as a Tony Winner
Posted: 8/20/06 at 1:33am

Ahhhhhhh...I love that song.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

QMAN03 Profile Photo
QMAN03
#5re: Duncan Sheik as a Tony Winner
Posted: 8/20/06 at 2:55am

I think he should win. The score rocked (haha. Get it."rocked" cause it's rock and roll. Man, I just crack myself up)

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#6re: Duncan Sheik as a Tony Winner
Posted: 8/20/06 at 7:47am

If CURTAINS transfers this season, the Tony will probably go to Kander and Ebb.

tophertilson Profile Photo
tophertilson
#7re: Duncan Sheik as a Tony Winner
Posted: 8/20/06 at 8:47am

Kander and Ebb would definitely be the sentimental choice. If Disney can convince the League to nominate all the songs from MARY POPPINS (not just the new ones) then the Sherman brothers certainly have a shot. And I certainly wouldn't rule out PIRATE QUEEN. We haven't heard a note yet, but even the blah MARTIN GUERRE had a great score. Personally, I don't see Sheik having much of a chance.

"Me flunk English? That's unpossible!" - Ralph Wiggum

Wanna Be A Foster
#8re: Duncan Sheik as a Tony Winner
Posted: 8/20/06 at 9:55am

Personally, I don't see Sheik having much of a chance.

Honey, have you heard the music?

-Kad

tophertilson Profile Photo
tophertilson
#9re: Duncan Sheik as a Tony Winner
Posted: 8/20/06 at 11:00am

I saw the show. I thought the songs were terrific as pop songs but horribly un-theatrical. They stopped the momentum of the plot cold nearly every time. It got to the point where I resented whenever the music started up. The songs in THE CAPEMAN were great too, but that didn't mean they belonged in a musical.

The one exception for me was "Totally F***ed." That song actually included some plot, not just vague, poetic ramblings.

Seriously, I would love to have this cast recording as a pop album (much like CAPEMAN). But as a theatrical score it was a near wash-out for me.

"Me flunk English? That's unpossible!" - Ralph Wiggum

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#10re: Duncan Sheik as a Tony Winner
Posted: 8/20/06 at 11:01am

unless queen's score is outstanding, I think SA can win. I had no clue what the show was about when going to see it. I think this is the first show where I didn't look at my watch once, open my playbill to see how many songs were left.. it was a wonderful evening with a very modern score. And I want to add that I am so glad the leads are staying with the show.

bwayondabrain
#11re: Duncan Sheik as a Tony Winner
Posted: 8/20/06 at 12:58pm

"I think he should win. The score rocked (haha. Get it."rocked" cause it's rock and roll. Man, I just crack myself up)"

haha, that made my day
:)
very funny
:P

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#12re: Duncan Sheik as a Tony Winner
Posted: 8/20/06 at 1:11pm

Hey, Grey Gardens has a pretty wonderful score too. Although it does have a problem. I wouldn't say it's derivative but it mimics the songs of the people it imitates too well. One doesn't have that sense of individual voice that really excites. I liked Spring Awakening. I don't know if it should win a Tony though. Unique is in the eye of the beholder. It's not particularly unique rock music. I'm excited for the transfer though.

yr ronin,
joey

QMAN03 Profile Photo
QMAN03
#13re: Duncan Sheik as a Tony Winner
Posted: 8/20/06 at 1:23pm

I saw Curtains last week, and let me tell you, the music doesn't even come close to Sheik's. It's good, I'll give it that. But there really weren't any extremely memorable songs like I found with SA.