Usher in Chicago

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#0Usher in Chicago
Posted: 8/22/06 at 10:46pm

Just got home from Usher's Broadway debut. His singing and dancing were fine. He was a little weak in some of the scenes, not projecting consistently. Overall, I'd say he exceeded my expectations. He is surrounded by a terrific cast. Bianca Marroquin is a terrific Roxie, and Brenda Braxton is a fine Velma. Lillias White obviously had a cold, but she was still great as Mama Morton.

Now, for celeb sightings. S. Epatha Merkerson (Lt Van Buren on Law & order) was there. Penelope Cruz had WAY too much makeup on. Clive Davis arrived late. We saw hip-hop singer Mario, as well as actress Gabrielle Union.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#1re: Usher in Chicago
Posted: 8/22/06 at 11:34pm

Thanks for the review! Hopefully I'll be seeing this on Sunday!

JamesMacon Profile Photo
JamesMacon
#2re: Usher in Chicago
Posted: 8/22/06 at 11:42pm

That is a handfull of celebs. Thanks for the review!

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#3re: Usher in Chicago
Posted: 8/22/06 at 11:46pm

I am glad to hear that Usher seems to be able to handle Billy Flynn re: Usher in Chicago Thank you for the review re: Usher in Chicago

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#4re: Usher in Chicago
Posted: 8/22/06 at 11:56pm

i was across the street at sweeney tonight... those crowds at the chicago stage door were CRAZY! we took pics... it looked NUTS

::bust a move::

#5re: Usher in Chicago
Posted: 8/23/06 at 12:00am

Did Usher come out the stage door?
I was over at Drowsy and didnt know anything about he's crazy fans at the stage door, but did see the LONG rush line earlier.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#6re: Usher in Chicago
Posted: 8/23/06 at 10:23am

I didn't hang around to see...it was too crazy by the time we left the theater. He had walked in through the stage door about 40 minutes prior to curtain.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#7re: Usher in Chicago
Posted: 8/23/06 at 10:35am

here's what it looked like at the stage door:

re: Usher in Chicago

Johnnytoc
#8re: Usher in Chicago
Posted: 8/23/06 at 10:38am

Can't forget the screaming, though I will say I particularly loved when the Sweeney stagedoor girl was mocking them screaming "I Love you Usher!". Good times.

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#9re: Usher in Chicago
Posted: 8/23/06 at 10:39am

SHE was funny!

bwayondabrain
#10re: Usher in Chicago
Posted: 8/23/06 at 10:52am

wow, that is quite the crowd in that picture!

yodamarie78 Profile Photo
yodamarie78
#11re: Usher in Chicago
Posted: 8/23/06 at 11:21am

So was all of BWW at the Sweeney stage door last night?

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#12re: Usher in Chicago
Posted: 8/23/06 at 11:24am

I saw a tiny clip on MTV yesterday with him talking about his Broadway debut. He said he kind of put a small dance break during "Razzle Dazzle." They showed a segment of it and I didn't like how he was turning Billy Flynn into Usher. But I'm only basing it on that one teeny segment, but overall he looks like he'll make a good Billy Flynn. His singing was fine.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Johnnytoc
#13re: Usher in Chicago
Posted: 8/23/06 at 11:28am

yodamarie, *raises hand* I was at Sweeney...it was Quite the madhouse though...between that and usher I don't think ti was possible to walk down the street.

Now I want to see who gets a bigger crowd, the Patti fans, or the Usher ones.

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#14re: Usher in Chicago
Posted: 8/23/06 at 11:34am

i was joking around with Johnnytoc at the stage door and i said we should get Patti and Usher together and see who the bigger diva is re: Usher in Chicago

yodamarie78
#15re: Usher in Chicago
Posted: 8/23/06 at 11:37am

You know it's all about Patti, although she is lacking the pimp mobile Usher had.

I was curious because I think I've counted 5 people who have mentioned being there, myself included of course.

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#16re: Usher in Chicago
Posted: 8/23/06 at 11:46am

what was up with the car? when some guy was driving it to the tow truck that took it after, crowds were following. that was pretty funny!

yodamarie78
#17re: Usher in Chicago
Posted: 8/23/06 at 11:50am

"Forget Usher, look at that car!"

Lori2 Profile Photo
Lori2
#18re: Usher in Chicago
Posted: 8/23/06 at 1:24pm

Cool! I'm glad he is good in the play.

Wow that is a lot of celebs!!!

http://www.myspace.com/jrobertspencer
Can you keep the cup from tipping Can you keep the grip from slipping In despair, for just another day ~Next To Normal

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#19re: Usher in Chicago
Posted: 8/23/06 at 1:28pm

Did the entire audience stage door to meet him?!

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

smashingasian
#20re: Usher in Chicago
Posted: 8/23/06 at 1:31pm

Holy snap thats a lot of people... I haven't seen that many people at the stagedoor/theatre whatever since P. Diddy was in Raisin in the Sun. Let me tell you, half the people there (maybe not ever half) were screaming teenagers old enough to be his children screaming that they loved him.

Lori2 Profile Photo
Lori2
#21re: Usher in Chicago
Posted: 8/23/06 at 1:37pm

"Holy snap thats a lot of people... I haven't seen that many people at the stagedoor/theatre whatever since P. Diddy was in Raisin in the Sun. Let me tell you, half the people there (maybe not ever half) were screaming teenagers old enough to be his children screaming that they loved him. "

LOL! Are you serious? Wow, I really hate it when they scream! I had the same issue when I saw Kevin Richardson from the Backstreet Boys when he was the broadway show Chicago, All my friend and I wanted was an autograph, and this GIRLS WENT NUTS WHEN HE CAME OUT! They were pushing and shoving! I'm glad I got the autograph, he was so nice!

Same thing with Joey Fatone in RENT, but I think those girls were A LOT worse! I didn't get an autograph because I thought I was gonna die and get trampled by those girls OY!

http://www.myspace.com/jrobertspencer
Can you keep the cup from tipping Can you keep the grip from slipping In despair, for just another day ~Next To Normal

queenbee2
#22re: Usher in Chicago
Posted: 8/23/06 at 2:16pm

I heard it was more like a rock concert than a Broadway show, and that indeed Usher did a fine job. Good on the Weislers for convincing him to come to Broadway. I can't imagine that show costs much to run, and now they must have a huge box office boost with this latest celebrity.

It's always good to see when "stunt" casting actually employs someone who can live up to the demands of the job.

DivaBrigader Profile Photo
DivaBrigader
#23re: Usher in Chicago
Posted: 8/23/06 at 3:48pm

I was at "Sweeney" last night and it was definitely crazy outside the Ambassador. I heard that Rosie Perez came to cheer on Usher. I also heard that Warren Beatty was 5th row center @ "Sweeney". :)

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#24re: Usher in Chicago
Posted: 8/23/06 at 4:50pm

Here's a video of Usher talking about being in the show.

http://us.video.aol.com/video.index.adp?mode=1&pmmsid=1697539

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

Videos