pixeltracker

Actors that phoned in their performance- Page 6

Actors that phoned in their performance

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#125re: Actors that phoned in their performance
Posted: 7/29/14 at 1:48pm

In 2 Separate Chicago performances
-Coleman Domingo, who seemed to be counting the seconds until he could leave the stage
-Amra Faye-Wright and Ray Bokhour, Amra was...well typical Amra, Mr. Bokhour just could care less what he was doing up there.

Terrance Mann, however was very engaged and on point when I saw Pippin, it was very close to the end of Matthew and Patina's run.

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

hotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
#126re: Actors that phoned in their performance
Posted: 7/29/14 at 6:28pm

For me, it would have to be Topol in Gigi at the Open Air Theatre, Regents Park in London. He didn't phone in his performance, he texted it in - he looked as though he didn't know who or where he was!

itseemssobeautiful Profile Photo
itseemssobeautiful
#127re: Actors that phoned in their performance
Posted: 7/30/14 at 5:14am

Sean Palmer in both shows I've seen him in, first The Little Mermaid on Broadway and then Singin' in the Rain at the Drury Lane Theatre in Oakbrook, IL. He seemed so bored that the title song of the later was actually a snooze, which I would have swore was an impossible feat.

MVintheheartland
#128re: Actors that phoned in their performance
Posted: 7/30/14 at 10:44am

Matthew Broderick in Nice Work If You Can Get It".

This thread does remind me that it is so much more fun watching the performances when a show is early after opening, the cast is excited, everybody is on point. (mostly).

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#129re: Actors that phoned in their performance
Posted: 7/30/14 at 11:28am

I know many are going to disagree with me on this, and I usually love her, but I'd have to say Juliette Binoche in Betrayal. I'm all for minimalism but there are limits!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#130re: Actors that phoned in their performance
Posted: 7/30/14 at 11:29am

The entire cast of the national tour of The Lion King.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

aussieskates
#131The flip side to this thread
Posted: 7/31/14 at 1:12pm

Recently I mentioned to a girlfriend that I was going to a Saturday matinee of Wicked. She asked if she could come too, so I bought some half price tickets (at 75 dollars a pop).

When we got there it was listed that the standby would be going on for Elphaba, but in truth, I had come to see the lead who was playing Galinda.

As it happened, the actress playing Galinda had terrible laryngitis at this performance. But though she still gave it her all, the performer really really struggled with all of her songs. It was difficult to listen to.

I wonder if it the decision of the producers, already knowing that one of their leads was on standby, to perhaps put a second standby on. Or, do they go with a performer who is a name that sells tickets, and risk the possibility that audience would want their money back either way.

Anyway, my girlfriend liked the show, but I ended up refusing her money (as I felt too guilty that the lead was sick that day.)