killer tenor song?

broadjay
#0killer tenor song?
Posted: 9/10/06 at 12:13am

I have a v important callback, where I need a killer tenor ballad and uptempo song can anyone help? I'm pumping a dry well here. I did Buddies blues from Follies for my orginal audition any suggestions and reasons for them would be sooo appreciated! (-:

bwaylvsong
#1re: killer tenor song?
Posted: 9/10/06 at 12:25am

It's prob overdone, but maybe "music of the night"? It shows range and emotion.

gavrochegirl
#2re: killer tenor song?
Posted: 9/10/06 at 12:27am

What Do I Need With Love? -- Millie

What the puck?!

broadjay
#3re: killer tenor song?
Posted: 9/10/06 at 12:31am

keep 'em coming, liking the Millie idea...
I'm 21, the characters described as earlt to late twenties, if that helps? thnax guys!

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#4re: killer tenor song?
Posted: 9/10/06 at 12:37am

Skisha Goddess from The Last 5 Years
or Futune Favors the Brave from Aida or Elaborate Lives for your ballad.....

"Passion can drive you crazy but is there any other way to live"

broadjay
#5re: killer tenor song?
Posted: 9/10/06 at 12:40am

aw I love the last 5years, never thought of shiksa godess, hmm I did contemplate moving to fast, but it's so long where do u cut? lol

Jazzysuite82
#6re: killer tenor song?
Posted: 9/10/06 at 1:05am

DO NOT SING JRB. Do NOT SING WEBBER. Are you an ingenue or character actor. What's the role? All these should be answered before getting suggestions from random people

broadjay
#7re: killer tenor song?
Posted: 9/10/06 at 1:14am

I can't say who the character is or the show sorry, but he's deep, complex, lost and his humour covers his torment. Why not sing JRB? and thanx I'd nver do Webber!
My voice is huge, but I don't wana just belt out a huge number for the sake of it. (-:
Updated On: 9/10/06 at 01:14 AM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#8re: killer tenor song?
Posted: 9/10/06 at 1:18am

JRB is really overdone.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

broadjay
#9re: killer tenor song?
Posted: 9/10/06 at 1:23am

thanx, thats kinda true, but what isn't over done at present? lol. I would normally do Being alive but I fear hat to is overdone

TonyaFanatic Profile Photo
TonyaFanatic
#10re: killer tenor song?
Posted: 9/10/06 at 11:41am

^^^^^hello. if you bring something different to the material then do it. the thing is, jrb is overdone when you sound like everybody else singing it. but everything else is overdone. if you sing it well and it's the best for you, sing it. don conform to "musical theater" audition rules.

"Girl, this cupcake is the jumpoff"- Adriane Lenox

TheEnchantedHunter
#11re: killer tenor song?
Posted: 9/10/06 at 3:42pm

The fact that JRB material is overdone and a cliche, not to mention a bore, is the least of it. The songs do absolutely nothing for the performer. The dense, overwritten lyrics require the singing actor to work twice as hard for half the payoff as it ends up putting the song front and center rather than the person. As a vocal coach and someone who spends time on the other side of the audition desk, I NEVER want to hear any JRB material and tell my clients to avoid it like the plague.

You might want to look at OUT THERE from HUNCHBACK or MAMA, A RAINBOW or NEVER WILL I MARRY or WHAT CAN YOU LOSE? or LAST ONE PICKED or A LOUD AND FUNNY SONG or...the list goes on and on. Roll up your sleeves and do some research---there's TONS, absolutely TONS of suitable, active material out there. Get to work!

Tootie 'The Most Horrible' Smith
St. Louis, MO

broadjay
#12re: killer tenor song?
Posted: 9/10/06 at 5:46pm

thankyou, this has all been so helpful!
Especially TONYA AND ENCHANTED! (-:

HamletWasBipolar Profile Photo
HamletWasBipolar
#13re: killer tenor song?
Posted: 9/10/06 at 8:24pm

It's really hard to make a recommendation without knowing your age, the role, and the show. I'm assuming this isnt Bway or Off-B'way as you would have had these things worked out already. Two tenor songs that I find impressive are Love Cant Happen from Grand Hotel and Too Many Tomorrows from Sweet Charity, you may also want to look at She Was There from Scarlett Pimpernell. I've performed the first two, and they are solid if you can nail them. But again, not knowing your role or genre of musical you are auditioning for its difficult to recommend. Stay the heck away from JRB if for nothing else it will drive your accompanist insane ( and the auditors.) Sing Webber if only auditioning for a Webber show, and MOTN isn't a tenor number, but rather lyric baritone. Best of luck to you!

" I wish that the stage were as narrow as a tightrope wire, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." -- Goethe (he wants you to go to my Myspace page www.myspace.com/jasonklemm

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#14re: killer tenor song?
Posted: 9/10/06 at 8:36pm

How about....

"Grand Knowing You" from She Loves Me (actually, the title song would work too)
"Barrett's Song" from Titanic
"Serenade" from The Student Prince (that's REALLY rangey though, FYI)
that song from H2$ whose title eludes me at the moment

RentBoy86
#15re: killer tenor song?
Posted: 9/10/06 at 8:48pm

JRB is just tough to perform without working with the accompinist beforehand. It's very dense and hard to sight read. Look at Lippa's Wild Party or some of the contemporary musicals. But it does depend on what kind of part you're auditioning for.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#16re: killer tenor song?
Posted: 9/10/06 at 8:51pm

I know people don't like using Sondheim, but "Not While I'm Around" is very impressive when done correctly.

Also, "The Old Red Hills of Home" from Parade is a great song!

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

HamletWasBipolar
#17re: killer tenor song?
Posted: 9/10/06 at 9:24pm

To the chagrin of the auditors, many people DO like to do Sondheim at auditions. This trend, however, is to the glee of the performers who actually spend some time doing research in finding unique songs to create site specific "moments."

" I wish that the stage were as narrow as a tightrope wire, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." -- Goethe (he wants you to go to my Myspace page www.myspace.com/jasonklemm

pippin2 Profile Photo
pippin2
#18re: killer tenor song?
Posted: 9/10/06 at 9:29pm

"Being Alive" from Company can be absolutely breathtaking when sang in a tenor key, there are some really big notes in the last 16 bars of that song.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#19re: killer tenor song?
Posted: 9/10/06 at 9:30pm

What I meant to say was being advise not to use Sondheim. My apologies.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

HamletWasBipolar
#20re: killer tenor song?
Posted: 9/10/06 at 9:42pm

:) I was just being my sarcastic self. But in all honesty, Sondheim, you are correct is not recommended. I've been on the other side of the table for hundrdeds of auditions and always wondered why people select songs that are so difficult and challenging, with alot of the material being show-specific that doesnt really stand on its own. In other words, save the Floyd Collins. Now if you are auditioning for a Sondheim show, then it would be acceptable, of course.

Color and Light
#21re: killer tenor song?
Posted: 9/10/06 at 9:49pm

Winter's On the Wing from THE SECRET GARDEN might work, but I have no idea if its overdone or not - a part of me wants to think so, since I've heard "How Could I Ever Know", "Lily's Eyes", and "Hold On" several times at auditions. Just thought I'd throw it out there, since it randomly came on iTunes while I was browsing the board.

Stop looking at my charisma.
Updated On: 9/10/06 at 09:49 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#22re: killer tenor song?
Posted: 9/10/06 at 10:48pm

I also just thought of "Love Can't Happen" from Grand Hotel.

broadjay
#23re: killer tenor song?
Posted: 9/11/06 at 3:00am

Thanks guys for everyones' imput an opinions I had my audition today and got the job, woho! I went with my orignal gut and did the tenor version of being alive, it's an oldie but a goody as I guess it worked! thanx again and I'm now looking at the wild pary material for next time, it's so versatile and showcasing. and no it's not broadway as I'm in the land of Oz, no not Wicked but Australia. it's all very hush hush, but thank you!

BSoBW2
#24re: killer tenor song?
Posted: 9/11/06 at 1:27pm

I thought I was the only one who doesn't care much for JRB (PARADE is pretty good).

But his fans are also awful.

If musicals were donuts, WICKED and RENT would be plain and JRB's stuff would be glazed. Once you get passed the pretntious outter shell - what's left? Dough.

Updated On: 9/11/06 at 01:27 PM

Videos