Good news for THE PRODUCERS

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#0Good news for THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 9/16/06 at 2:02pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=12247

YAY! I sure hope this helps ticket sales AND the morale/performance of the cast.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#1re: Good news for THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 9/16/06 at 2:05pm

It's cool that he's back on Broadway, but how on earth would you expect him to help ticket sales?

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

mrs felciano
#2re: Good news for THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 9/16/06 at 2:06pm

Am I the only person who wouldn't care if this closed?

munkustrap178
#3re: Good news for THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 9/16/06 at 2:07pm

Absolutely not. I think it needs to go.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

bwayondabrain
#4re: Good news for THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 9/16/06 at 2:08pm

same here
id feel bad for the cast (especially Renee Klapmeyer in the ensemble- so hot), but i think this show has had its time, and should end its run soon
yeah

Mythus
#5re: Good news for THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 9/16/06 at 2:08pm

I love Lee Roy Reams. I saw him on the tour in D.C., he's a fantastic Roger.

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#6re: Good news for THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 9/16/06 at 2:11pm

i think it was great in the time it opened..but its about time another show comes in to the St. James...there was so much hype for the show...but I was not blown away when I saw it.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#7re: Good news for THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 9/16/06 at 2:14pm

I did not start this thread to have it become an "I want it to close" thread.

It does not "need to go." It needs new blood and support.

Lee Roy is a great performer and is second to none to Gary Beach as Roger.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS
Updated On: 9/16/06 at 02:14 PM

C is for Company
#8re: Good news for THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 9/16/06 at 2:35pm

This may be good news, but I doubt with be the new blood this show needs.

PARISinNYC Profile Photo
PARISinNYC
#9re: Good news for THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 9/16/06 at 2:37pm

I love the show, but I really think it should just close. The ticket sales are gonna get worse, and they might as well close while they still have some of their dignity.

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#10re: Good news for THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 9/16/06 at 2:42pm

Oh, c'mon, people. It's frivulous fun, just what the tourist wants when he comes to see a Broadway play. If we're gonna start saying it should close because its time has passed, I can think of another musicsl down the street about a girl with green skin that shouldnt have lasted a single season.

I hope the new casting does help. As much as I really hated the film, the stage play is great fun and deserves a longer run.

http://docandraider.com

PARISinNYC Profile Photo
PARISinNYC
#11re: Good news for THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 9/16/06 at 2:43pm

Did you notice that those tourists you're talking about didn't help AT ALL during the summer?

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#12re: Good news for THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 9/16/06 at 2:47pm

Im sorry, was there a nightly poll?

"Will everyone from out of town please raise their hands?"

http://docandraider.com

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#13re: Good news for THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 9/16/06 at 3:14pm

maybe is Ashley does well in Chicago...then she could be ULLA. just kidding

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#14re: Good news for THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 9/16/06 at 5:14pm

Sean Martin,

I don't think anyone is saying that THE PRODUCERS should close because it is frivilous fun. It should close because for the past several months, even during the height of the tourst season, its been under performing. Last week, in fact, its attendance percentage was the lowest on Broadway.

I don't care if the show is tourist friendly or not: people have stopped coming and Lee Roy Reems is not going to help ticket sales. When a show begins to lose money every week, it closes.

THE PRODUCERS has made a healthy profit, but apparently some of that profit has been used to off-set losses in Los Angeles and on the road. The show just never quite lived up to the early hype.

Updated On: 9/16/06 at 05:14 PM

munkustrap178
#15re: Good news for THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 9/16/06 at 5:16pm

And whomever thinks that Lee Roy Reams is going to boost the box office is completely delusional.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#16re: Good news for THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 9/16/06 at 5:21pm

Lee Roy Reams won't boost ticket sales, but...

I think people are just bitter that the Producers won all the Tonys in 2001 which is why they want it to close so bad, EponineAmneris.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#17re: Good news for THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 9/16/06 at 5:21pm

Personally, I find this thread (and all the recent threads on the same topic) a little silly.

The producers are the ones who are losing or making money or breaking even and THEY will decide when the run is over and it is time to close the doors.

No matter whether you feel this or any show is overhyped or worth its salt, it isn't really a question of an audience member deciding whether a show should continue or be closed. If you don't like the show or feel it has worn out its welcome, DON'T GO SEE IT AGAIN. When the house is needed for some other show and/or the producers have played their last card, you will hear about a closing date.

"Life is a lesson in humility"

munkustrap178
#18re: Good news for THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 9/16/06 at 5:26pm

Sam, I think you need to chill out, buddy.

No one is acting like they have the authority to close the show down, and no one is acting like their opinion should be the end-all-be-all for the show.

It's merely our opinion. It is my opinion that this show is on it's way out. Not because it's overhyped, not because I don't like it, not because it won all the Tony's, not for any of those banal reasons.

Obviously, the producers of show are the ones to close the show. Not us on the board. Wow, what a brilliant, original, and absolutely revelatory statement...

AshleyBrownFan123 Profile Photo
AshleyBrownFan123
#19re: Good news for THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 9/16/06 at 5:31pm

Unless Lane and Broderick come back, I bet it will close in a year. Billy Elliott can have the St. james, because High Fidelity could be the next Rent.

Let us milk the cow that is theatre-Monica Trausch

munkustrap178
#20re: Good news for THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 9/16/06 at 5:32pm

I think it will close within a year as well, if not sooner.

BILLY ELLIOT already has the Imperial.

HIGH FIDELITY is moving into the Imperial with the understanding that, if they are a success, they need to either close or find another theatre when BILLY ELLIOT comes over.

There's no changing it.

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#21re: Good news for THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 9/16/06 at 5:33pm

"The show just never quite lived up to the early hype."

I contend people didn't want to see "The Producers," they wanted to see Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane in "The Producers." I have NEVER understood how the show has run so long. Brooks' score is un-original and derivative. "The Full Monty" SHOULD be the show from that season that should be still running.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#22re: Good news for THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 9/16/06 at 5:34pm

Has the show recouped?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

munkustrap178
#23re: Good news for THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 9/16/06 at 5:35pm

Of course.

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#24re: Good news for THE PRODUCERS
Posted: 9/16/06 at 5:39pm

Really, what the Producers needs to keep running is another duo with as much star power and chemistry as Lane and Broderick - that's the only thing I can think of that would revive the show - and the chances of that happening are none to negative.

Videos