pixeltracker

The "Can Someone Please Explain ____" Thread

The "Can Someone Please Explain ____" Thread

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#0The "Can Someone Please Explain ____" Thread
Posted: 9/16/06 at 11:39pm

For those of us who just cannot grasp the appeal of (insert performer here).

First up: Amy Spanger. I don't get the hype. Any fans want to explain why she's supposedly so talented?

misto625 Profile Photo
misto625
#1re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 12:17am

I liked her on the Kiss Me Kate CD, but I never saw her perform.

Dean: Can I tell you something? Lorraine: That depends on what it is. Dean: I think you're really really pretty. Lorraine: (after a pause) Ok, you can tell me that.

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#2re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 12:21am

Lots of people said they were crazy about her "Over the Moon".

TheEnchantedHunter
#3re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 1:06am

...the lint that collects in your navel.

Wiley Pecker
Geegaw, Alabama

Updated On: 9/17/06 at 01:06 AM

ZONEACE
#4re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 1:10am

Amy Spanger is a Phenom. I've seen her perform twice. In The Wedding Singer, where she was about the only thing worth my time in the whole show. And in Feeling Electric at NYMF last year, where she gave, literally, my favorite performance by a female, ever.

when ducks grow thumbs then maybe my opinion will change.

thevolleyballer
#5re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 1:39am

I personally think Amy's a great talent, but nothing past that. She was friendly at the stage door, but that was it -- she doesn't exude anything more than being a great singer, dancer, and comic actress. I love her performances (she's given great ones in Urinetown, Wedding Singer, and ttB!), and that's about it. Still, she's one of my favorite actresses. I guess it's a love her or hate her thing.

Can someone please explain Celia Keenan-Bolger? She was nice when I met her, and she sings well, but I find no real attraction (not looks, but just overall attraction) to her, and I absolutely can't picture her as Eponine.

Colle
#6re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 10:47am

I am going to try to explain Celia Keenan-Bolger. After hearing her sing the "I Love You Song," she does have a powerful voice that does seem belty, or at least she can project her voice really well. So, I can see why people(including me now) can see her as Eponine. Plus, people can see her as Eponine because she is not overly pretty, which is the character is described in the book.

bwayondabrain
#7re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 11:00am

also, I love Celia because she is very cute, a genuine actress, and has a beautiful voice. what is not to love? :)

iluvtheatertrash
#8re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 11:04am

Celia is an extraordinary actress. Her details are pitch-perfect and she dives full-steam-ahead into a role.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

overthemoon419 Profile Photo
overthemoon419
#9re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 12:16pm

I'd like someone to explain Matt Morrison. I mean, I've seen him multiple times in multiple shows, I think he's talented and funny, but I can't understand why people think he's like a Broadway Messiah.

"It's not for sissies, contrary to popular belief." - Tommy Tune, on musical theatre.

My avatar: Yummy, no?

bwayondabrain
#10re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 12:29pm

i personally dont think he's a big deal either, but im not a girl or gay, so...i think its mostly a look-based thing
but he is talented...

mrs felciano
#12re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 1:23pm

"Daphne Ruben-Vega"

Ditto! This is going to take LOTS of explaining!

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#13re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 1:33pm

There is something about Daphne that when you watch her perform - no matter what it is- you just say "she gets it!" She is an incredibly versatile performer (RENT-ANNA IN THE TROPICS, ROCKY HORROR-BERNARDA ALBA) and although her voice isn't of pristine quality, she exudes an enourmous and almost raw amount of emotion into her performances. She's a brilliant actress, and if you've never had the opportunity to see her perform life, I suggest you do so.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#14re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 1:55pm

Daphne Rubin Vega is perfection on the Bernarda Alba CD and was perfection in Anna in the Tropics.

She's not the typical broadway girl.

This is from someone who's only heard the Rent CR once. So I'm not a RentHead defending Daphne.

I just think she's unique and really talented

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

Yankeefan007
#15re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 2:02pm

Idina Menzel.

There....I said it.

munkustrap178
#16re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 2:08pm

I knew it was only a matter of time. I don't get her either. Once in a while, she has some pretty impressive vocal chops, but she can't act her way out of a paper bag.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

rubyslippersxo
#17re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 2:13pm

I'll explain Idina Menzel.
For 12-year-old girls that can't sing, her belting is awe-inspiring. It doesn't matter if she can or cannot act, they wish they could sing like that. And so they obsess over her.

For the record, I see nothing wrong with Idina. But I'm not an obsessive fangirl either.

thevolleyballer
#19re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 2:28pm

As one of few straight guys involved in musical theatre, I can look up to Matt above some other male performers simply because he's such a fantastic personality, onstage and off. True, there's nothing too astounding about some of the things he's done, but for some reason, he's just one stage actor whose talents I've always admired.

Ah, ruby, I had that (a different variation, though) as my signature a while back. They're so much fun to come up with. re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#20re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 2:47pm

Harvey Fierstein. Who told him he can sing???

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#21re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 3:50pm

I completly agree Jason! I don't doubt his acting, comedy or dramatic or writing abilities but singing...

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

bwayondabrain
#22re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 3:52pm

thevolleyballer, that was a good point about Matt
being a straight guy myself, i know what you're talking about

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#23re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 4:33pm

I agree with the Idina thing.

She's somewhat talented, I admit. She was quite good in SWIWS.

But someone suggested she play Petra in the ALNM revival. Saying she would "blow the roof off The Millers Son"

I felt like stabbbing myself

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

StephenSondheimWHOO Profile Photo
StephenSondheimWHOO
#24re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 4:50pm

Im sorry dollypop i have to do this, I really don't get Carol Channing I mean she's really funny but i just don't think she can sing very well, her voice is just to weird.

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#25re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 4:57pm

Carol Channing has an amazing onstage prescence. She has a load of comedic talent, and can hold an audience captive. True, her singing voice is a little...unique, but she sure can make you laugh. Plus- she has had the enormous fortune of strring in some of Broadway's biggest hits.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck
Updated On: 9/17/06 at 04:57 PM

munkustrap178
#26re: The 'Can Someone Please Explain ____' Thread
Posted: 9/17/06 at 5:01pm

I think Carol Channing has a splendid voice.

Listen to the 1994 version of HELLO, DOLLY!, and then the 1964 version. The latter in angelic in comparison.

Videos